Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: kung fu baseball bats

Lucas! FOUL!

heh heh. That made my day being able to call FOUL on Lucas again. Our forum sponsor MartialArtsMart.com carries Tokushu Keibo (collapsible batons for the uneducated martial artist). MAM carries two styles: manual and automatic. And at this posting, they are illegal in California, Massachusetts, and New York. They might not be illegal in Canada, but they cannot be shipped across the border.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Hardwood. I have an awesome little league louisville. Perfect. Heavy enough, but light enough.
    I completely agree.

Lucas, I have a few of those extendable batons. They are cool in some situations, horrible in others. Not the most structurally sound club out there. So if you wanna walk on somebody and take out their legs, maybe a quick swipe to the head, they work great. More than that, not so reliable. I found out the hard way. Shoulda known.
    If I wasn't in California, WHERE THEY ARE ILLEGAL, I might have a few of those myself. But I don't. I can't even buy them from out of the Tiger Claw warehouse, where our office is housed.

But what do you mean by you found out the hard way? Do tell....
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    heh heh. That made my day being able to call FOUL on Lucas again. Our forum sponsor MartialArtsMart.com carries Tokushu Keibo (collapsible batons for the uneducated martial artist). MAM carries two styles: manual and automatic. And at this posting, they are illegal in California, Massachusetts, and New York. They might not be illegal in Canada, but they cannot be shipped across the border.

I completely agree.

If I wasn't in California, WHERE THEY ARE ILLEGAL, I might have a few of those myself. But I don't. I can't even buy them from out of the Tiger Claw warehouse, where our office is housed.

But what do you mean by you found out the hard way? Do tell....

I broke it. Nuff said.

That's funny. Cause I had to get my butterfly knives from cali. Life is weird like that. Some laws make no sense. What if you have a non collapsible baton? Or a nigh stick? Do you need to have a baseball glove near a bat to make it legal? Some of these bandaid laws baffle me. We go after the effect and ignore the cause. Seems like such a waste of time. If they did both, ok cool, but that's not what's happening.

Jimbo, They aren't illegal in Canada, so it surprises me that they are in the US. You can have an AR but not a piece of shit baton? What if it doesn't collapse? Maybe it's illegal for the same reasons butterfly knives are illegal in canada... none of which make much sense.
    Yup, CA has some really stupid laws. Automatic knives (switchblades) with a blade over 2", any butterfly knife (bali song), sap, or nunchaku are also illegal here. I'm actually surprised CA even allows switchblades with 2" or under blades, considering how unreasonable so many of the laws are. But really, a knife is a knife; regardless of how it opens, once it's open it's just another knife. And nunchaku! How many people have done a drive-by nunchuking??

There may be some states that allow civilians to carry collapsible batons. I know that switchblades (and probably butterfly knives too) are legal in some states.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 09-17-2013 at 04:20 PM.

bro!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I don't understand it either. I can kill someone with a bic pen, Melted plastic shaved down jail style, a piece of metal that is somewhat pointy, a sharpened spoon, whatever. If people want to cause harm, they will. Man, sharp anything will make a decent weapon on the fly. And that's not even getting into blunt objects. If I walk around with a rock in my hand, is that illegal because it can be a weapon? What if I just think it's a cool rock?

That's funny about the butterfly knives, cause I got mine in chinatown in SF when I was staying in SJ. They were on full display, not some under the table type thing. Maybe the law wasn't around back then? It was quite awhile ago now.

There is another irony. We can have(and I do) spring loaded blades, but only the folding kind. Which is weird because everything I look at says they are illegal, yet they are commonly sold all over. So I dunno. Some info I found said you can have spring assist, but it has to be initiated manually. So mine doesn't have a button like the 50's greaser style ones we see in movies, mine has a small trigger behind where the blade meets the handle and it gives it just enough of a nudge that the spring does the rest. Maybe that's the difference? If it is, that's just stupid. A button = illegal but I guess they found a way to circumvent the law because of how it was worded and nobody has bothered to make an amendment? I dunno. They are all stupid laws to me. But I come from an engineers perspective. If I can't buy it I'll just make it and so that makes me wonder what the point is... ya know? I realize not everyone is able to do some of these things, but many weapons are basic and simple. I mean, you can make a rudimentary gun with ease. It may not be an AR, but it will still kill. Or just backfire on you, but to me that's just natural selection at its best.

I think Lucas did a drive by nunchucking. Heard he took down a whole crew!

actually I do know of a drive by clubbing, ball bat out the window style. It wasn't a good look for the guy on the receiving end.

I don't understand it either. I can kill someone with a bic pen, Melted plastic shaved down jail style, a piece of metal that is somewhat pointy, a sharpened spoon, whatever.
    wow

wow such deadly
    wow

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

I think people are just intimidated by the flashier weapons. I can open my butterflies in a few different ways, I can throw them in the air closed and catch the mid spin opened, one in each hand, but that's just for kicks. None of it is useful in a fight. It's just a blunt weapon till it's open, just like any other folding or retracting blade. People have some weird irrational fears. A butterfly knife is illegal, but a hunting knife is not? That's just stupid!

Maybe they banned the chucks cause too many kids were coming to the ER needing stitches in the back of the head, lol. I made a nice pair on the lathe with really fine steel rope between them. I drilled through the end about 3/4 of an inch from the end and then drilled down the top to meet the other hole so that the rope comes out of the top. They have served me well. I was a lil battered at first from getting over excited, but now I can throw two around with ease. Tracers!!! That being said, I'd rather have a bat. I don't really like them as a weapon. Like the butterfly knives, I just did it cause I can and it seemed neat at the time. Now they sit on a shelf with the rest of my toys that I never use anymore right next to the butterflies.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    wow

wow such deadly
    wow
    Saw that coming. When I say "I", I mean anyone. Even you young padawan.

Syn,

Assisted-opening knives are indeed legal here because, as you say, you have to initiate the opening to about 30 degrees or so before the spring assist kicks in. I own a few knives like that (from ZT/Kershaw), but to be honest, they just sit on a dresser. I carry a manual-opening Spyderco. I don't see any advantages to automatics or assisted-openers, as there's more to foul up, wear out or break. Simple is better, IMO.

I might add that I carry the Spyderco as a utility blade, not as a weapon. When you realize how useful a knife is day to day, you wonder how you got along without one.

Saw that coming. When I say "I", I mean anyone. Even you young padawan.
    I sharpen my fingernail into monomolecular thin claws. I can rend steel like butter.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Syn,

Assisted-opening knives are indeed legal here because, as you say, you have to initiate the opening to about 30 degrees or so before the spring assist kicks in. I own a few knives like that (from ZT/Kershaw), but to be honest, they just sit on a dresser. I carry a manual-opening Spyderco. I don't see any advantages to automatics or assisted-openers, as there's more to foul up, wear out or break. Simple is better, IMO.

I might add that I carry the Spyderco as a utility blade, not as a weapon. When you realize how useful a knife is day to day, you wonder how you got along without one.
    Totally agree. I've had them open on me when I didn't want them to. They do have a lock on them, but they are mechanically unreliable if you don't remove that feature. But when you do that, they can open in your pocket, or when bumped or dropped. I agree, simple is better. I have two main blades I carry. One is a folding knife I use as a tool, and I have a sheathed blade that is strictly used as a weapon(happy to say never been used for that reason). I do not carry the sheathed blade unless I'm out in the bush. Or I guess feel threatened in some way and feel I should have it. I used to just leave it in the glove box. Now it hangs off my workbench. I have a spyderco too, great tool. Between that and a leatherman I keep in my kit, I'm good to go. My leatherman is pretty sweet, It has the wire stripper/plier combo. The plier part is kind of like a needlenose and lineman hybrid. Served me well. I can't imagine not having it now. It's not actually a real leatherman, it was a gift and I have no idea what the brand is, but it's pretty durable.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    I sharpen my fingernail into monomolecular thin claws. I can rend steel like butter.
    That should be illegal! I say we ban fingernails. Way too open to abuse. They are also uses as drug paraphernalia! Maybe we should ban credit cards too. They can be used as a weapon or for drugs too.

Quick release leather belts with heavy metal buckles are very popular here , easy to carry and useful - I've seen a lot of people playing with these....

Maybe we should ban credit cards too. They can be used as a weapon or for drugs too.

Credit cards kill.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Weapons are illegal when they are concealable. This is a completely logical law. It should be this way.

If you have to mess around opening a blade 30 percent of the way before it flicks, then you pretty much have to carry it already open if you intend to use it suddenly. If weapons are obvious, they are not as dangerous because people can see it coming. Butterfly knives come out of nowhere, they open fast.

If someone is holding a knife in front of you there are ways to escape. If they brush past you and stab you in the kidneys without you even seeing the knife, that is more dangerous.

I know there are ways around all this, but by making it illegal we make the very concept of hidden weapons distasteful in peoples minds. This is a good thing. It doesn't stop the criminals but it helps us know who the criminals are.

Part of the reason no one outside the continent of America understands their gun laws. Sure we get you need shotguns and hunting rifles for bears and stuff.... But why handguns?
    Last edited by RenDaHai; 09-17-2013 at 06:52 PM.