Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Why Doesn't TCMA Include Ground Fighting and What are you going to do about it?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    those must be some really well evened out wrestlers!!
    It's more proper to compare 2 persons with the same skill level. You have 2 arms and 2 legs. Your opponent also has 2 arms and 2 legs. Trying to assume that you can take your opponent down whenever that you want to (or the other way around) is not realistic IMO.

A friend of mine had made public statement that if anybody could take him down even once (when he plays 100% defense), he would give that person a black belt. He had just had his 70 years old birthday not too long ago. So far nobody had ever received a black belt from him through that short cut yet.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-14-2011 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    It's more proper to compare 2 persons with the same skill level. You have 2 arms and 2 legs. Your opponent also has 2 arms and 2 legs. Trying to assume that you can take your opponent down whenever that you want to (or the other way around) is not realistic IMO.

A friend of mine had made public statement that if anybody could take him down even once (when he plays 100% defense), he would give that person a black belt. He had just had his 70 years old birthday not too long ago. So far nobody had ever received a black belt from him through that short cut yet.
    Ok that takes care of one answer. break's over.....

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Well, if you wanna look at in a "scientific way":
    The vast majority of evidence we have from over the last 20 years clearly demonstrates that IF a trained grappler wants to take someone down, they are going down.
    That has been empirically proven over and over.
    Then there is gravity and the often proven fact that it is far easier to go down than to stay up.
    Were these "fights to the death"?

In Shuai Jiao we learn chi na - joint locking - it's the same standing or on the ground

Quote Originally Posted by Lebaufist View Post
    So what about all the people who aren't BB? They just get taken down. No sorry this is a fallacy. Superman doesn't exists and no style will make you one. Its not rocket science.
    name me one UFC guy at the mid level who is not either a collegiate level wrestler or a BJJ purple belt, no one said they had to be black belts, but without a decent level of ground work (purple at least) you are going to get hammered.

Can purples beat blackbelts in MMA? yes because striking changes the game, but without a game in the first place you are in trouble...i thought we learned this from ...oh i dont know...the last 20 years of the UFC?

It's much easier to train defense than offense. When your opponent shots at your leg, all you need is to drag his head all the way to the ground. ?
    if only it was that easy...........i agree with you for the most part defence is easier than offense, hence in MMA a purple belt level gy can defend a b lackbelts attacks, because all he is doing is using posture and escapes not looking to attack, but you still need a solid game to be able to do this

Quote Originally Posted by SwaiingDragon View Post
    In Shuai Jiao we learn chi na - joint locking - it's the same standing or on the ground
    no its not

did he make this chalange to the local college wrestling team?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    did he make this chalange to the local college wrestling team?
    One of my guys, a 250 lb formal Iranian wrestling champ (not sure the difference between Iranian wrestling and western wrestling), who can bench press 245 lb took the challenge and could not take him down. He only weight about 170 lb. That was more than 30 years ago. If kick and puch are allowed, the outcome could be different. I'm only taking about 100% wrestling here.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-15-2011 at 12:59 AM.

my real life experience with BJJ

I think you guys are worshipping some type of ideal that's false. My personal experience with BJJ is different than what a lot of people are imagining. Being a BB Judo player, maybe my perspective is skewed, but, in my experience... and granted the highest BJJ'er I've competed against was a purple, but in my experience... BJJ players pull guard pretty much all the time because they are scared to stand up against an experienced Judo player. And, unless I feel like playing with them... I step out of their attempts at pull guard. Meaning, that unless I feel like it, I don't have to newaza with them.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    I think you guys are worshipping some type of ideal that's false. My personal experience with BJJ is different than what a lot of people are imagining. Being a BB Judo player, maybe my perspective is skewed, but, in my experience... and granted the highest BJJ'er I've competed against was a purple, but in my experience... BJJ players pull guard pretty much all the time because they are scared to stand up against an experienced Judo player. And, unless I feel like playing with them... I step out of their attempts at pull guard. Meaning, that unless I feel like it, I don't have to newaza with them.
    Funny, I said the same thing on another thread and all the BJJ nutriders jumped all over it!! BJJ is the ground. I have also seen many BJJ players pull guard at the beginning of a match just to get the fight to the ground. Their ground game is the best, no doubt about it. But if you want to learn throws and takedowns as well as defending them train wrestling or Judo, you will be better off.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    Funny, I said the same thing on another thread and all the BJJ nutriders jumped all over it!! BJJ is the ground. I have also seen many BJJ players pull guard at the beginning of a match just to get the fight to the ground. Their ground game is the best, no doubt about it. But if you want to learn throws and takedowns as well as defending them train wrestling or Judo, you will be better off.
    I guess where I was going is that maybe John and Gino aren't as off-base as people are trying to say when they say that they don't have to worry as much about the newaza. Because, with their vast SC experience, they would be very hard to take down. So much so that I don't think your average BJJer or MMAer would have much of a shot of getting them down if they didn't want to get taken down.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    I dont know why this would even be argued against . It's so obvious from anyone whos trained strict bjj that their weakness is standing grappling and getting you to the mat.

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

actually no one here has really mentioned BJJ in respect of takedowns, we said grapplers

I think everyone knows BJJ s*cks at takedowns compared to wrestling and Judo, but their takedowns are more than enough to deal with people who dont have standing grappling expereince and that if the fight hits the ground (which it probably will against a BJJ guy if all you know is striking) you are in trouble if you dont have solid ground skills

oh and they might be scared to stand and grapple with a judo bb, do you think they would be scared against someone only trained in striking?

I guess where I was going is that maybe John and Gino aren't as off-base as people are trying to say when they say that they don't have to worry as much about the newaza. Because, with their vast SC experience, they would be very hard to take down. So much so that I don't think your average BJJer or MMAer would have much of a shot of getting them down if they didn't want to get taken down.
    average bjjer, maybe not although off the top of my head most i know also train BJJ, average MMAer, with a background in wrestling as you are normally bound to get in the states....might be best to be prepared