Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Doesn't TCMA Include Ground Fighting and What are you going to do about it?

Why Doesn't TCMA Include Ground Fighting and What are you going to do about it?

How have you or your school addressed the current BJJ / MMA movement that's prevalent in today's martial arts?

My School

As I've stated elsewhere, one of the teachers in my family has been studying No Gi JJ and BJJ for some 15 years--he offers regular ground training at his school, and offers seminars at our school whenever he's in the area.

Also (perhaps because his first MA was Judo, perhaps just 'cause he really knows his stuff), my teacher is able to show how to adapt various techniques for the ground. Also we frequently train from the clinch, and have no issues with adopting methods from other styles under appropriate circumstances (the boxer's close guard, for example).

Myself

I've done some of the ground seminars mentioned above. Also looking into doing a little cross-training at the local MMA club...am currently waiting for a response from them to see if I can wear sneakers when I train (have plantar fasciitis, need my arch support )--so whether I'm able to do more for myself at the moment depends on their answer.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    How have you or your school addressed the current BJJ / MMA movement that's prevalent in today's martial arts?
    I found an awesome Wing Chun grappling class and took it online!! True story.

Myself and the other instructor who teaches with me did what everyone else did, went out and cross trained in grappling systems and filled in the gaps. I believe Shuai Jiao and wrestling to be an integral part of any Kung Fu, and most systems should have these.

The best advice, use your throws, takedowns, and sweeps and either cross train or roll with wrestlers, judokas, BJJers, and fill in the gaps and improve your game. Learning positioning, bridging, shrimping, and submissions and counters is also important, if for no other reason than to be able to stand back up.

Last night at our class this is what we worked on, positioning, bridging, shrimping, and standing back up. If anything with the current focus on grappling in the marital arts practioners should look to be able to counter these movements, which only comes from learning them yourself.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

I have this simple suggestion:

Go to your local judo or BJJ gym ( or MMA if you have one) and speak with the head instructor and tell him you would like for someone to come to your school on a reg basis to introduce your students to ground work.
    They will be very accomodating.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Blog Entries
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I have this simple suggestion:

Go to your local judo or BJJ gym ( or MMA if you have one) and speak with the head instructor and tell him you would like for someone to come to your school on a reg basis to introduce your students to ground work.
    They will be very accomodating.
    Also, most BJJ instructors would be happy to come to your gym/kwoon and give a seminar on basic ground work, usually at a nominal fee. This at least gets them started in the basics that you can work on with them as well as have the BJJ instrutor continue this somewhat regulary for advancement.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    Also, most BJJ instructors would be happy to come to your gym/kwoon and give a seminar on basic ground work, usually at a nominal fee. This at least gets them started in the basics that you can work on with them as well as have the BJJ instrutor continue this somewhat regulary for advancement.
    This is how I plan to further my own experience, given my limited time. One of my students studied for a couple years with a local bjj black belt who I've heard is a really good guy, so the plan is to periodically do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    This is how I plan to further my own experience, given my limited time. One of my students studied for a couple years with a local bjj black belt who I've heard is a really good guy, so the plan is to periodically do this.
    Outside of the web, you will find that BJJ players ( and BB in particular) are very easy going and respectful and they just love to get exposed to other MA.
    Even if it's only once a week, it will be an amazing experience.
    The first time I rolled with a BB it felt like grappling with an empty jacket and then an anaconda ! LOL !
    You truly have no idea the skill level of a trained grappler until you roll with one.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Outside of the web, you will find that BJJ players ( and BB in particular) are very easy going and respectful and they just love to get exposed to other MA.
    I laughed heartily at the outside of the web comment. I have not actually met a judo or bjj player of any experience that I didn't like, outside of the web. I've met nice wrestlers and jerks, but I've also met more wrestlers than bjj guys. I've always known some judo guys, never had any problem with them.

Even if it's only once a week, it will be an amazing experience.
    I've rolled some with a few mid level guys, one of them is a very competitive dude in amazing shape. I can hold him off for a while on the ground, sometimes I can shake him and get up, but that's about it. But I do make him work. Having done that with him, I can respect that rolling with a high level guy must be harrying, in a good way.

The first time I rolled with a BB it felt like grappling with an empty jacket and then an anaconda !
    TMI!

You truly have no idea the skill level of a trained grappler until you roll with one.
    I like anyone who really likes working their martial arts more working than their attitude. They are most of the skilled ones. They might smack talk in competition, but they seem to have the attitude that "I have to do this crap for competition, I'm not gonna waste training time hoping you'll give me less challenge because I messed with your head."

In my school we have always crossed trained, YOU MUST, but we have been doing it way before BJJ was a fad or even heard of outside Brazil,
    We go back to UFC 6 and 7 and my kung fu student won on the ground.

I teachg my studetns reality, and said when you fight expect to fall, then lets learn how to fight form this position, not IF it happnes but WHEN. Unless you KO your going tot he ground gravity has no bias.

If your school is geared towards forms, tourneys point fighting and conditioning and not fighting then this section can be skipped

For those who think they should not train in all aspects of fighting are just ignorant. conditioning, wind, strength, internal, external, mental, phsyical, spititual, kinitics, jing, qigong, nei gong, anatomy, the list goes on and on
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

I like my kung fu, but I also enjoy Judo and working out with BJJ players and MMA guys.

In the heat of whatever I'm doing - I enjoy it. So ground, throwing, striking... really it's all the same. You just keep working on it and hopefully keep enjoying it. Sometimes you have "aha" moments like I had the other night with Hane Goshi. My only limitation is my wallet... and a finite amount of free time to work out.

Greetings,

This is, by far, the healthiest thread I have seen on the subject matter. Way to go!!

mickey

I'm going to crawl under the table and curl up in the fetal position.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinDan View Post
    ...am currently waiting for a response from them to see if I can wear sneakers when I train (have plantar fasciitis, need my arch support )--so whether I'm able to do more for myself at the moment depends on their answer.
    Well, I'll have to get a pair of wrestling shoes, but it sounds like I can do it. Guess I'll get a firsthand look at the view from the other side.

I have otomix wrestling shoes, check them out real light weight. Oddly enough I use them when I do bag work, they have never seen the mats