Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Why Doesn't TCMA Include Ground Fighting and What are you going to do about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    average bjjer, maybe not although off the top of my head most i know also train BJJ, average MMAer, with a background in wrestling as you are normally bound to get in the states....might be best to be prepared
    But the ones who are any good rarely if ever get into bar/street fights, and I've never seen a real good competitive martial artist actually start a fight outside of the ring. So who's that leave?

I think it is fair to say that with the emergence of MMA as well as the rise of popularity in grappling arts there is a chance of going up against someone with training. That being said, it is also a silly notion to believe that every street fight scenirio (how many fights do you guys get into anyway) is going to be against a highly trained martial artist. One should always expect the unexpected, but the reality of it is it will probably be your average douchebag.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    I think it is fair to say that with the emergence of MMA as well as the rise of popularity in grappling arts there is a chance of going up against someone with training. That being said, it is also a silly notion to believe that every street fight scenirio (how many fights do you guys get into anyway) is going to be against a highly trained martial artist. One should always expect the unexpected, but the reality of it is it will probably be your average douchebag.
    We get at least one a month - you know, that guy who wants to fight MMA that comes into your school that can recite every move ever used in every UFC. He's somewhat in shape and tells you how he grapples with his cousin or whatever and he's anxious to step onto the mat to show you how good he is.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    We get at least one a month - you know, that guy who wants to fight MMA that comes into your school that can recite every move ever used in every UFC. He's somewhat in shape and tells you how he grapples with his cousin or whatever and he's anxious to step onto the mat to show you how good he is.
    Did he have this hat on??

"The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

But the ones who are any good rarely if ever get into bar/street fights, and I've never seen a real good competitive martial artist actually start a fight outside of the ring. So who's that leave?
    well since the question i was responding to was you dont have to grapple a BJJ guy, i dont know where the bar/street fight arguement comes from.............

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    well since the question i was responding to was you dont have to grapple a BJJ guy, i dont know where the bar/street fight arguement comes from.............
    Just trying to get a different perspective on TCMA Groundfighting. One that I think was being alluded to earlier which was that if they could stuff the takedown, then the groundfighting wouldn't be as relevant and therefore you could get by on a basic training groundfighting regimen. Gotta play devil's advocate once in a while.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    all three zones should be practiced equally. None of this "if you can stuff it" crap. You never know when you'll need to fight from your back or on your face in the dirt. People get blindsided all the time. Is your upstairs fighting going to save you from that? Unless you have eyes in the back of your head, (and none of the mystical crap), then you should learn the ground as you should learn the clinch and stand up.

ground is not this MMA rolling on the ground for the sport of it compendium. It's a zone that is taken like all other zones that you train. It teaches you to move, position, advantages, leverage, and how the ground scenario works. If you are lacking in that area and your "scared" of the wrestler take down then go out and learn it. That's the only way to be prepared for it.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

i just wanted to butt in and say that in America, the curriculum in high school involves wrestling, and that it's normally very good ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Chadderz View Post
    i just wanted to butt in and say that in America, the curriculum in high school involves wrestling, and that it's normally very good ^^
    Wrestling??? Wrestling doesn't count, it's not a martial art!!!

Haven't you been paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    ground is not this MMA rolling on the ground for the sport of it compendium. It's a zone that is taken like all other zones that you train. It teaches you to move, position, advantages, leverage, and how the ground scenario works. If you are lacking in that area and your "scared" of the wrestler take down then go out and learn it. That's the only way to be prepared for it.
    I agree with this statement. Everyone should train some type of ground work. I do not possess the same skills as a BJJ fighter, but I have enough to feel confident if taken down that I could handle myself.

How much ground work is enough? Do you need a Black Belt in BJJ or a couple of years workouts at a MMA gym? Is the Northern Shaolin ground fighting stuff I have enough? My training would probably be 40% stand up / 40% SC grappling / 20% ground work, is this enough?

ginosifu

Was his name Kip?

Wrestling??? Wrestling doesn't count, it's not a martial art!!!
    Nope, it is a marital art. To prove a point one of the first times the term "martial art" was used was a 16th century textbook on (european) fencing.

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    I agree with this statement. Everyone should train some type of ground work. I do not possess the same skills as a BJJ fighter, but I have enough to feel confident if taken down that I could handle myself.

How much ground work is enough? Do you need a Black Belt in BJJ or a couple of years workouts at a MMA gym? Is the Northern Shaolin ground fighting stuff I have enough? My training would probably be 40% stand up / 40% SC grappling / 20% ground work, is this enough?

ginosifu
    Good question, my suggestion would be to go up against a grappler and find out! I reckon if you can get to standing, then you're doing alright. (:

There is a Judoka in my BJJ class who is amazing on the ground, due to his Judo Newaza. So it's all relevent IMO.

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadderz View Post
    Nope, it is a marital art. To prove a point one of the first times the term "martial art" was used was a 16th century textbook on (european) fencing.

Sarcasm is lost on you my friend.

[QUOTE=Iron_Eagle_76;1143442]

Sarcasm is lost on you my friend.
    Man, sarcasm over the internet I am just no good with!

Sorry man (:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08Bqa...eature=related

There you go, everything you need to know