View Poll Results: Is MA Evolving or is it something else?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • The BJJ and MMA grappling is an evolution of MA.

1 6.25%
  • People are just adapting to modern fighting situations.

11 68.75%
  • It is just a fad and will come and go with the people that want to use it.

1 6.25%
  • It is a de-evolution of MA, we are reverting back to more basic MA.

2 12.50%
  • Something else?

1 6.25%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evolution or Something else

Evolution or Something else

With the over whelming topics on BJJ and MMA and Ground Grappling, I have wondered:

Is the BJJ / MMA style of Ground Grappling, the evolution of MA or is it something else?

Is it just fighters adapting to the new modern Sports Martial Arts?

Is it just a fad and will come and go with it's popularity?

Is it more like we are DE-Evolving and MA are reverting back to it's rudimentary beginning?

ginosifu

It's filling a training gap, really. It doesn't REPLACE TCMA... it just gives you some skills that were sorely lacking in the styles...
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    It's filling a training gap, really. It doesn't REPLACE TCMA... it just gives you some skills that were sorely lacking in the styles...
    Pretty much but I will add this:
    BJJ come from the "old school" judo as was taught by Maeda.
    Maeda taught "combat Judo" and his whole philosophy was to take whatever worked and add it to COMPLIMENT Judo ( that is the key word and what ANY TCMA should be doing also).
    The Gracies took that and what we had when GJJ was introduced to the world via the UFC ( the MA world has already know about BJJ for decades before that) was the result of decades of MA fighting in "no rules" matches VS every type of system that was willing to fight no rules ( and not many were by the way).
    BJJ then adapted and evolved to deal with what MMA became and has now become.
    The core is still the same:
    Take your base system and adapt what is proven to work and make it COMPLIMENT your core.
    It is NOT a fad, it has been the MA way for centuries and will continue to be so.
    It is NOT a de-evolotion simplyu because the fighters are better NOW than they were before.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I believe that good martial artists will work on their weaknesses regarding what they and their art lack. It is that simple. In 1993, the world of martial arts got a wake up call. They found out that reverse punches and ridge hands were not enough. They found out high flashy kicks and holding your hands at your waist was not enough. Most importantly, they found if you don't know how to grapple or at least have basic sprawl and position knowledge, anyone with adequate grappling will kick your aszz!!

As I mentioned, the first UFC happened way back in 1993, eighteen years ago. The sport of mixed martial arts has come a long way as have the emergences of grappling tournaments to the mainstream. So it really isn't that hard to figure out, the information is there and has been there for a very long time.

Skills negate skills, and all aspects of fighting should be trained if one is to be a competent fighter. Also, the days of pure anything (striker, grappler) are over, at least for those wanting to be relevant to today's standards.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Greetings,

It is just that the grappling arts are making a comeback and are getting their long awaited respect.

mickey

somethign different, how much did we all like watching boxing when we were growing up, man it was the best to watch the fights, then alongh came the UFC now boxing semms boring, UFC is more excting and hitting a different age group, demographic and time.
    ground fighting is as old as the dirt, just got boring but the MMA UFC brpought it exctoment, just like anything fashion, style it is all comes in cycles
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

OP Question: Is it just fighters adapting to the new modern Sports Martial Arts?
    ANS: Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    I believe that good martial artists will work on their weaknesses regarding what they and their art lack. It is that simple. In 1993, the world of martial arts got a wake up call. They found out that reverse punches and ridge hands were not enough. They found out high flashy kicks and holding your hands at your waist was not enough. Most importantly, they found if you don't know how to grapple or at least have basic sprawl and position knowledge, anyone with adequate grappling will kick your aszz!!

As I mentioned, the first UFC happened way back in 1993, eighteen years ago. The sport of mixed martial arts has come a long way as have the emergences of grappling tournaments to the mainstream. So it really isn't that hard to figure out, the information is there and has been there for a very long time.

Skills negate skills, and all aspects of fighting should be trained if one is to be a competent fighter. Also, the days of pure anything (striker, grappler) are over, at least for those wanting to be relevant to today's standards.
    Does that mean the sport of boxing will cease to exist.? Cringe! No more Sumo?

I think it's an adaptation to the local environment. So in that sense, yes, it's evolution.

It's kind of like how modern militaries must learn to fight in cities, so-called 'urban warfare'. This is different than the older style of war where battles were fought by large armies on open ground. It's an adaptation.

EO

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    now boxing semms boring
    I don't think boxing is boring at all.

Fa xing,
    compared to MMA I find it limited which inturn to me personally boring. its still kinda fun to watch but I would rather like to see them clinch then throw each other to the ground and throw a kick to the head with a coul of elbows real dirty boxing woukd be a great new fad LOL, but im spolied now
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    Fa xing,
    compared to MMA I find it limited which inturn to me personally boring. its still kinda fun to watch but I would rather like to see them clinch then throw each other to the ground and throw a kick to the head with a coul of elbows real dirty boxing woukd be a great new fad LOL, but im spolied now
    I find MMA or UFC matches boring. Usually 2 guys laying on top of each other and very little action. Old school kickboxing was more exciting. I don't like a cage or a boxing ring... just ends up that peeps use that as an excuse to clinch and stall.

ginosifu

yeah the laying ground game stuff gets boring as well, yuor right, for me the quick action is still the Pancrase stuff, they stand em up whe they lay on top as you say adn dont work.

but UFC is still more exctied than boxing for me pesonally.

its does have all the elements, it will be really kweel, when it evolves to the point where when its close they throw in a weapon to decide the outcome. then we have gladtitor school back!
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

The ritual and dueling aspect is being removed in favour of bloodsport period.

Dueling always has more interesting techniques in it.
    Bloodsport demands brevity in technique.

fwiw I would watch a boxing match before I watched mma.
    mma isn't as interesting to me.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

mma is pretty diverse in terms of the over all competitors. I like watching some fights WAY more than others. I like watching mma because I enjoy seeing what each individual has developed in their own game as far as dealing with all ranges of combat.

personally, i'd like to see some boxing matches with 6oz gloves on.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.