Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 9 Continents in Chinese Mythology

Continents is a poor translation

I worked on Wing Lam's DVD of that BSL staff form, Xian. I still remember it, although I don't practice it anymore. Here's the associated thread: BSL Lyrics: Shaolin Staff. We translated that as 'provinces'. The character 州 (zhou) can mean 'state' or 'administrative division'. It's an ancient reference - I'm not exactly sure of the exact origin - but it dates back to the Xia (21st century BCE)

The Nine Provinces are Ji, Yan, Qing/Jing, Xu, Yang, Jing, Yu/Xu, You and Yong (冀州、兖州、青州、徐州、扬州、荆州、豫州、幽州、雍州).

Atlantis? Seriously, guys?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I worked on Wing Lam's DVD of that BSL staff form, Xian. I still remember it, although I don't practice it anymore. Here's the associated thread: BSL Lyrics: Shaolin Staff. We translated that as 'provinces'. The character 州 (zhou) can mean 'state' or 'administrative division'. It's an ancient reference - I'm not exactly sure of the exact origin - but it dates back to the Xia (21st century BCE)

The Nine Provinces are Ji, Yan, Qing/Jing, Xu, Yang, Jing, Yu/Xu, You and Yong (冀州、兖州、青州、徐州、扬州、荆州、豫州、幽州、雍州).

Says the guy whose ancestry believes in shapeshifting, spiritual dragons that live in the ocean...
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post

Oh sure, but if we were jibba jabbing about Lemuria or Mu you'd be down with it because of the Buddhist connection instead of the whole Greek thing right? lol

Your sinocentricity is actually delightful.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

It's like a game of Chinese whispers...

Atlantis, Lemuria, whatev. I think y'all just got uki fu-ed.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    dreamt? No dude.

In Plato's 'Republic' there is a dialogue between Timaeus and Critaeus and the information is purported to have been advanced to Plato through the traveler Solon.
    This is the actual only account of Atlantis ever recorded and everything else about it such as Donnelly and Cayce et al is late 19th century esoterica and nonsense of course, but that was big in that day and you had a lot of people too dumb for scientific endeavours who went with the malarkey of occultism instead and they came up with a huge load of shit that we are still combing through today to separate the raisins from the rat droppings of it all.

Anyway, Solon was the Greek who traveled to Egypt and learned much about them prior to the rise of Socratic thought such as Plato practiced. It was Solon who tells us how the Egyptians invented concrete before the Romans and how in fact, Egypt was likely the source of the recipe for roman concrete. it was the retelling of Solon's tale, then discussed by Plato's students as written in The Republic that Atlantis has it's start in our history.

More than likely it was a morality tale used to analogously explain why Greed and Self Interest is not the best state of mind for a society to adhere to.

Go figure we still have that problem today!
    yeah... i was gonna say......

never heard the dream thing before???
    i think most atlantis d1ck riders believe its near the straights of gibralter... pillars of hercules and all that jazz... next most cited would be cyprus... i never really payed too much attention to the whole thing...

I believe Plato describes the story of Atlantis in his work, "The Timaeus", in it Timaeus relates to Socrates and Criteus the story of Solons journey to Egypt and his discovery of Egypts ancient ties to Atlantis, which had been revealed to him by an old athenian, whos father had told him, etc. Because Greece (and the rest of the world) had been destroyed by great floods every age or so, they had no knowledge of true ancient history, but Egypt had been spared this fate due to the naturaul erirgation (sorry can't spell) of the nile, so they had historical records and culture dating back to Atlantis, the founders of their society.
    A senor brother of mine once pondered thats how the peramids were built, by atlantian mind powers/ telekenisis.

Glad to see the trickling spouts of classical knowledge being tossed around, pompous ass hat that I am.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Just weird how we went from a Mandarin translation request to Greek Philosophy.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

im pretty sure we can keep it going and turn this into a thread about jaylo's ass...

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

oh i see how it is. black people are too dumb to have built the pyramids themselves. so it must have been atlantis mind kinesis/aliens.

FAK YUO

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quit trying to derail my jaylo ass thread highjack attempt bawang.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by CicadaL9H View Post
    I believe Plato describes the story of Atlantis in his work, "The Timaeus", in it Timaeus relates to Socrates and Criteus the story of Solons journey to Egypt and his discovery of Egypts ancient ties to Atlantis, which had been revealed to him by an old athenian, whos father had told him, etc. Because Greece (and the rest of the world) had been destroyed by great floods every age or so, they had no knowledge of true ancient history, but Egypt had been spared this fate due to the naturaul erirgation (sorry can't spell) of the nile, so they had historical records and culture dating back to Atlantis, the founders of their society.
    A senor brother of mine once pondered thats how the peramids were built, by atlantian mind powers/ telekenisis.
    yah, but when that nilometer rose above the cubits of surfeit, people died real quick. so even if they were protected from the brunt of it all, they still wouldve taken an agricultural ass kicking, not to mention losing the income in the delta, which was huge when it came to being able to feed everyone... backwash from the ocean would be even worse than too much rain... and thats assuming the flood was caused because of something other than rain. like higher than normal temp changes or whatever.

im pretty sure the pyramids were made by ropes pulleys sleds and some serious man power... god on earth has the clout to do anything possible, and it was mos def possible... egyptians were smart, they even invented surveying. navigating thru ever changing landscapes mustve been a b1tch before they figured that one out.

had to dig this up on youtube

me performing nine provinces staff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gR4LMEpkP4

Nice one, Krist

Who taught you that?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

funny you should ask

it was taught to me by your former sifu (and your wonderful narration)

just ignore the chin-wooey stances, and i promise it's a BSL routine!