Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gary Lam Challenge vid???

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Same way you challenge someone to push hands.
    It's not clear how to win in Taiji PH. If you push me back but if I'm still standing on my feet, I will not say that you have just defeated me. If my hand grab on your arm, since our bodies are connected as one unit, there is no way that you can push me back without me to pull you in with me. If you pushing becomes my pulling, I don't see any win or lose there.

It's also not clear how to win in chi sao too.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-14-2011 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    It's not clear how to win in Taiji PH. If you push me back but if I'm still standing on my feet, I will not say that you have just defeated me. If my hand grab on your arm, since our bodies are connected as one unit, there is no way that you can push me back without me to pull you in with me. If you pushing becomes my pulling, I don't see any win or lose there.

It's also not clear how to win in chi sao too.
    Hence both methods suck as "challenge methods" and hence the chi sao match of Gary's was NOT a challeneg match.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Jansingsang View Post
    I disagree here as Vingtsun is a martial Skill Prove it ! And do it with Class not being off balance chasing hands reaching etc .Gary looked Pants man And no one wants to admit it GH said What ever and got Served a under the belt foul ,for saying his opinion

Ipman when challenged by Wsl handled him with ease and control , high level Skill he didn't have to Crack heads bones or what ever for the young . Shun leung to realise he found his Sifu.

Point is Theres a Saying in Vingtsun Kung fu "Don't speak of who is senior or junior. The one who attains the skill first is the senior Iow Dont become a lazy Fat cat man You'll will get Merked
    I agree, prove it! By fighting! Chi Sao doesn't prove squat. Maybe You would no this if you fought. You would also know that fighting is not always pretty like the scene from IP man movie you described above between IM And WSL. If you think GL skills are lacking then challenge him to a fight. Because at the end of the day is wing chun for fighting, or for?

Blog Entries
    I don't see how you can just challenge someone in "grip fight" without challenge him in "wrestling" all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    I don't see how you can just challenge someone in "grip fight" without challenge him in "wrestling" all the way.
    I agree, but typically chi sao demos are all about slapping the other guy while controlling him and keeping from getting slapped by him.
    The one with more slaps landed, wins.

Think two girls in babydoll lingerie slapping and ripping each others close off.

I dont get it. I just saw it as the guy managing to get in on gary once then gary showed him whos his daddy . But i just saw this as two guys competitively practicing the drill not as a hostile "incident"

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    I dont get it. I just saw it as the guy managing to get in on gary once then gary showed him whos his daddy . But i just saw this as two guys competitively practicing the drill not as a hostile "incident"
    Thats what I saw.

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    That's what everybody with eyes and no agenda saw too.

Think two girls in babydoll lingerie slapping and ripping each others close off.
    That's what I'd like to see

Editay to see
    Last edited by Jake104; 11-14-2011 at 02:12 PM.

Blog Entries
    chi sao demos are all about slapping the other guy ...
    This is the problem for the striking art. You may slap on your opponent's face many times, as long as you have not knocked him down, he will not admit defeat. There is no "satisfaction" in that process. When you take someone down, you then drop your knee on his chest, you know you got him.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-14-2011 at 02:21 PM.

The general public doesnt know what chi-sao is for or its relationship to Ving Tsun.
    The vast majority think its for a game of sensitivity...sticking to hands.

And its things like this that make me drift further and further away from Wing Chun........

Quote Originally Posted by Jake104 View Post
    I agree, prove it! By fighting! Chi Sao doesn't prove squat. Maybe You would no this if you fought. You would also know that fighting is not always pretty like the scene from IP man movie you described above between IM And WSL. If you think GL skills are lacking then challenge him to a fight. Because at the end of the day is wing chun for fighting, or for?

No no no you got the wrong end of the stick mate. I wasn't describing any ipman movie I was talking historical fact When Wsl first met Ipman ok or should i spell it Yipman so we dont get it Twisted with the Movie Agreed prove it you just fight at the end of the day .

Either you walk away or leave in a ambulance simple Chi sau is a drill one must adhere to the fundamentals of the drill, and not be technically flawed I have chi saued Gary and it was a funny exchange cause he talks a lot while doing it like saying your doing mistakes, but i showed him something to think on and he knew from the

Simple exchange i know my stuff so ive been there mate done it, so i can have my opinion about him. Iam not here to try embarrass Gary but we must always remain humble and not make the lime light erode are Martial spirit I love this S%t man.
    Been doing it half my forty five year life since a kid of fourteen do the maths All iam saying is keep it Real and don't trip ,which quite a few of these Big name Sifus seem to do these days
    Last edited by Jansingsang; 11-14-2011 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    The general public doesnt know what chi-sao is for or its relationship to Ving Tsun.
    The vast majority think its for a game of sensitivity...sticking to hands.
    I think I agree , but what is the end goal? To become a master of chi Sao and tour the world chi sao'n and winning trophies? Or is it a tool for becoming a better fighter?

Quote Originally Posted by Jake104 View Post
    I think I agree , but what is the end goal? To become a master of chi Sao and tour the world chi sao'n and winning trophies? Or is it a tool for becoming a better fighter?
    Fighting !! is the short answer A book is the long answer to chi-sao and it being the 'soul' of the VT fighter.