Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Long should it take to fight with Wing Chun

How Long should it take to fight with Wing Chun

How long should it take training wing chun before someone can fight effectively with their art!!!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

It depends on when they start fighting. If you don't train fighting you'll never be a fighter. Drills, froms, Chi Sau, etc., are good but you must fight with someone really trying to hit you to develop fighting instincts.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

There's no "should", no pre-set time-frame...

Depends on:

- Instruction
    - Time & effort put into your training
    - Personal talent
    - Mental aptitude

Vary any of these and you get a wide spectrum of results. Drills should work towards sparring. You spar and identify what does not work yet. Then you go back to your drawing board (the drills) and correct the mistakes. It's an eternal cycle. The process should be clear with quality instruction.
    Dio perdona... Io no!

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha_Fist View Post
    There's no "should", no pre-set time-frame...

Depends on:

- Instruction
    - Time & effort put into your training
    - Personal talent
    - Mental aptitude

Vary any of these and you get a wide spectrum of results. Drills should work towards sparring. You spar and identify what does not work yet. Then you go back to your drawing board (the drills) and correct the mistakes. It's an eternal cycle. The process should be clear with quality instruction.
    What Buddha Fist said . . . .
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Never! Because you should avoid fighting at all costs

Quote Originally Posted by Jox View Post
    Yes... avoid at all cost... silent your inner monkey down and go away or even run, avoid critical places... If there is no possibility to go away or escape, then you must fight to get out of there as quick as possible...

But in most cases our inner monkey is our biggest enemy... you should go away but dont because of your monkey mind... Maybe you hit an knock a bad guy down... And doing so, you create an enemy who will probably search for you to revenge.... Tomorrow or some other day, he will may looking for you with a knife or pistol... never knows... My thoughts on black scenario...

In my opinion in most cases the best formula is silent monkey mind down and go away... Fight only if you must and there is no way to avoid or escape...

Jox
    In some cases you may need to spank the monkey to silence it down.

Like everything else, fighting with Wing Chun depends on the person. I was once asked to teach a friends son. He was known to fight a lot already, but was wanting an edge. It only took a few weeks until he was taking people by surprise. Wing Chun skills are easily learned and easily kept sharp. He had a natural ability to fight, didn't seem to have fear, and took to it quickly.
    On the other hand, a person that has never fought anyone will have a problem getting into the fighting mode, no matter what you teach him.
    Jackie Lee

i absolutely agree with your post...very good!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    Like everything else, fighting with Wing Chun depends on the person. I was once asked to teach a friends son. He was known to fight a lot already, but was wanting an edge. It only took a few weeks until he was taking people by surprise. Wing Chun skills are easily learned and easily kept sharp. He had a natural ability to fight, didn't seem to have fear, and took to it quickly.
    On the other hand, a person that has never fought anyone will have a problem getting into the fighting mode, no matter what you teach him.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Blog Entries
    Many years ago in Taiwan, a guy wanted to fight in tournament with no TCMA background. He got a coconut with ropes on both sides and tied it between trees. He chassed and hit that coconut for 6 months. 6 months later he won the 1st place in tournament. Nobody could get away from his "head hunting".

It you can do this, what else do you need?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1dh_...layer_embedded
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-14-2011 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    How long should it take training wing chun before someone can fight effectively with their art!!!
    412 days, 13 hours, 45 min and 15 seconds.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

You can fight day one...then we work on the errors from day 2 onwards until perfection is achieved.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    99% of WC people will never know as they'll never actually get in a fight.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    99% of WC people will never know as they'll never actually get in a fight.
    Yes and sadly those are the people who represent Wing Chun. I wish fighters would take back the art.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake104 View Post
    Yes and sadly those are the people who represent Wing Chun. I wish fighters would take back the art.
    It wont happen, if they havent gone to MMA, boxing, MT and BJJ yet.... they'll get there sooner or later

spank the monkey

Quote Originally Posted by Jake104 View Post
    In some cases you may need to spank the monkey to silence it down.
    spank the monkey ha ha thats too funny!!

all joking aside his post made good sense.
    sincerly, eddie