Thread: Velaquez-Santos- match etc

Velaquez-Santos- match etc

I am surprised that there does not seem to have been a discussion on last night's fight.
    I was rooting for Cain he was a great wrestler at Arizona State University. His conditioning was unequaled. He regularly grappled non stop with one opponent after another in his college days.
    I did not know much about Santos-- but he had a longer reach and great striking skills and he evaded Cain's attempts to soften him up with kicks. Cain learned some boxing but it takes time for new skills to be deeply embedded. Cain had his hands high enough but he did nit move them much- so a powerful right to the left side of his head was the beginning of the quick and devastating end. Much credit to Santos- I hope that Cain comes back... even though involuntarily he went to the ground at least this time.

I flipped to the Pacquiao-Marquez fight- what a fight---close but I thought that Marquez should have got atleasta split decision- he was the heavier puncher. Given Pacquiao's performance he wont have a good chance at defeating Mayweather if a fight takes place.

joy chaudhuri

He got beat by a better boxer, really that simple he should not have tried to stand with him, his base is wrestling he should have taken him down and worked on him (although Santos is very good at BJJ) Not saying hes not a good striker, his kickboxing is very good, simply not at the same level as Santos and he should have taken the fight to where he had the advantage

Unfortunatnly with small gloves and big men one punch is sometimes all it takes especially when you have a good boxer with good structure

I thought the Henderson clay fight was a classic example of two fighter one of whom is content to stay with his current skills (Clay) and the other who is always look to improve, I thought hendersons striking, takedown defence and clinch work was excellent
    (although I did think he almost tapped from the guillotine choke in the last minute lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    He got beat by a better boxer, really that simple he should not have tried to stand with him, his base is wrestling he should have taken him down and worked on him (although Santos is very good at BJJ) Not saying hes not a good striker, his kickboxing is very good, simply not at the same level as Santos and he should have taken the fight to where he had the advantage

Unfortunatnly with small gloves and big men one punch is sometimes all it takes especially when you have a good boxer with good structure

I thought the Henderson clay fight was a classic example of two fighter one of whom is content to stay with his current skills (Clay) and the other who is always look to improve, I thought hendersons striking, takedown defence and clinch work was excellent
    (although I did think he almost tapped from the guillotine choke in the last minute lol)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with your analysis.

joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    I am surprised that there does not seem to have been a discussion on last night's fight.
    I was rooting for Cain he was a great wrestler at Arizona State University. His conditioning was unequaled. He regularly grappled non stop with one opponent after another in his college days.
    I did not know much about Santos-- but he had a longer reach and great striking skills and he evaded Cain's attempts to soften him up with kicks. Cain learned some boxing but it takes time for new skills to be deeply embedded. Cain had his hands high enough but he did nit move them much- so a powerful right to the left side of his head was the beginning of the quick and devastating end. Much credit to Santos- I hope that Cain comes back... even though involuntarily he went to the ground at least this time.

I flipped to the Pacquiao-Marquez fight- what a fight---close but I thought that Marquez should have got atleasta split decision- he was the heavier puncher. Given Pacquiao's performance he wont have a good chance at defeating Mayweather if a fight takes place.

joy chaudhuri

I was supporting Caine as well Joy, a real gentleman as JDS appears to be as well, but it just shows you how quick a striker can end a fight.

Cudos to both of them, and im looking forward to the rematch which im sure there will be

In regards to MP and JMM, yeh i think JMM wins it and you could say he has one all 3 of their fights..... but thats boxing

Reminds me of Norton-Ali.... you could argue Norton one all 3 of those as well.

Cain found out very quickly that to stand in a striker's range and try to probe and test them out can be a costly mistake.

I don't think that was the fight that White wanted though. You had all that build up about a war and how great the fight would be, and to uneducated fans it was over so quick they really didn't get to see what seperates it from boxing.
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

TTT for Joy as his man did it in style a few weeks ago, the injury must have been an issue in the first match because cain looks a different beast here

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    TTT for Joy as his man did it in style a few weeks ago, the injury must have been an issue in the first match because cain looks a different beast here
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cain is not a complainer- he is a work horse. He overcame his injury which hampered him in the first Santos fight.
    He has developed additional skills-straightened out his punching, can kick to the head - and he withstood some good punches too.More complete this time around.

Santos is tough-took a lot of punishment.

That fight was great. Very happy to see Cain get the belt back. He completely out did JDS in every way, and it was a glory to behold.