Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fast and powerful punch

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Certain strikes quite obviously can't be pulled back - hooks and ridgehands .
    You don't have to pull your hook punch or ridge hand back. It can contine into straight punch (CLF guy's favor move), back fist, head lock, under hook, elbow strike, or even reverse head lock (guillotine).
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-15-2011 at 01:54 PM.

The only problem with this type of punch is when the practioner focuses overly on the withdrawl and loses follow-through.
    Strikes do the MOST damage when they compress the target explosively.
    The two KEY parts being compression and explosion.
    You don't really see many boxing coaches drilling the withdrawal and that was one of the first things I noticed and when I aksed the coach simply said that the hand ALWAYS comes back because they other is going forward.
    Since boxing drills combos the hand being pulled back is a "given".
    I remember an old clip I say of Tyson and Cus telling him to "let the recoil" do the work...
    yeah but what do boxing coaches know about throwing fast powerful punches............

You don't really see many boxing coaches drilling the withdrawal and that was one of the first things I noticed and when I aksed the coach simply said that the hand ALWAYS comes back because they other is going forward.
    Maybe Emmanuel Pacquiao could tell us something about being off balance and exposed. . .

frost
    american boxing coaches train punches in cetain ways, there are many more than one way of throwing a punch.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    frost
    american boxing coaches train punches in cetain ways, there are many more than one way of throwing a punch.
    how many teach you to throw a snappy punch and to concentrate on the withdrawl?

All of them, its called a jab.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    I completly diasgree sanjuro, which i usualy never do with you posts. a mantis hook punch is an arch elipital circle where you retract and pull it back...... this is always done with a ridge its snaps back as well confused by your statement.

PS I am 6'2 and 239 no fat with XXL sized hands and hit like a sledge hammer so I feel like I can generate more power than the norm when trying to knock someones block off, so i am a little biased, when oi speak of hitting heavy as I have been hit by flies thast thought they hit hard LOL
    It's ok to disagree Bro
    We are all here to learn and share with each other.
    There are always exceptions to any "rule".
    That you guys train "snapping back" your hook and ridgehands is fine.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Maybe Emmanuel Pacquiao could tell us something about being off balance and exposed. . .

Not sure what your point is...

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    You don't have to pull your hook punch or ridge hand back. It can contine into straight punch (CLF guy's favor move), back fist, head lock, under hook, elbow strike, or even reverse head lock (guillotine).
    Power though on hook punch unless it's a setup or change to take control of his defending motion.

.You don't really see many boxing coaches drilling the withdrawal and that was one of the first things I noticed and when I aksed the coach simply said that the hand ALWAYS comes back because they other is going forward.
    Since boxing drills combos the hand being pulled back is a "given".
    I remember an old clip I say of Tyson and Cus telling him to "let the recoil" do the work...
    This is the same in our lineage of Praying Mantis.

It is the relaxation and natural recoil combined with the attack from the other side going forward that brings the first hand(or kick, elbow, shoulder, knee...) back.

That's the whole reason for the emphasis on waist and hip relaxation and looseness.

In the case of a strike which is not used for penetrating with power, there can be additional emphasis on the snap back. This can be eye attack or groin kick.

There was a funny story about Sifu Brendan Lai demonstrating a groin kick on an attractive young woman. No contact, but her eyes opened big when she felt the wind from the pull back rushing past her.

One common "mistake" that people make when emphasizing the pullback is that they don't combine it with the body or core recoil. Then the movement becomes isolated to the arm only. Looks like bad mcdojo point sparring.

Not sure what your point is...
    That being off balance and overextended is a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    That being off balance and overextended is a bad thing?
    Is anyone arguing that?

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    This is the same in our lineage of Praying Mantis.

It is the relaxation and natural recoil combined with the attack from the other side going forward that brings the first hand(or kick, elbow, shoulder, knee...) back.

That's the whole reason for the emphasis on waist and hip relaxation and looseness.

In the case of a strike which is not used for penetrating with power, there can be additional emphasis on the snap back. This can be eye attack or groin kick.

There was a funny story about Sifu Brendan Lai demonstrating a groin kick on an attractive young woman. No contact, but her eyes opened big when she felt the wind from the pull back rushing past her.
    That was how I was taught also.

The fast pull back makes the gi have a nice snapping sound

You always run into the new student who has had prior experience with karate or TKD and likes to snap his gi with punches and kicks in the air.

A car kills you because it plows through you, not withdraw upon impact. Same for a bullet and a punch.