Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Connect and disconnect body frame

Blog Entries

Connect and disconnect body frame

In TCMA, to connect our body frame as one unit, transfer energy from our foot all the way to our finger tips is very important. To "disconnect body frame" at the right moment is also very important.

Here is an example to disconnect your frame to dodge flying objets.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...Q9QEwAQ&dur=84

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FQEPWkDJyY

When your opponent tries to throw you, if you can collapse your body frame like spaghetti, he will not be able to throw you.

When you sweep your opponent's leg, you want to disconnect your upper body and lower body. You only use your lower body to sweep. This way, if your opponent escapes out of your sweep, your sweep won't affect your own balance.

Could you share your idea about "connect body frame" in your system? Can you come up other usages for "disconnect body frame"?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-16-2011 at 11:55 AM.

RE: Body COnnect
    This is not just for TCMA, pretty much any MA and any physical endevour that is learned is taught using the whole body connected.
    Look at running and the running related events, or swimming, pretty much any sport really.

As for disconnect, fine motor skills and isolate body skills have always had their place, you just have to know when to do one and not the other.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    even when you "disconnect" body frame, you need to have some connection.
    Otherwise, you will weaken the structure. Example would be twisting and avoiding the strike, but being able to strike at the same time. The strike must have proper connection and alignment. Tai Gik Kuen, Joi Bot Sien, and many Hakka Kuen does this.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    In TCMA, to connect our body frame as one unit, transfer energy from our foot all the way to our finger tips is very important. To "disconnect body frame" at the right moment is also very important.

Here is an example to disconnect your frame to dodge flying objets.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...Q9QEwAQ&dur=84

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FQEPWkDJyY

When your opponent tries to throw you, if you can collapse your body frame like spaghetti, he will not be able to throw you.

When you sweep your opponent's leg, you want to disconnect your upper body and lower body. You only use your lower body to sweep. This way, if your opponent escapes out of your sweep, your sweep won't affect your own balance.

Could you share your idea about "connect body frame" in your system? Can you come up other usages for "disconnect body frame"?

Body frame is body level, what happens if you keep shrinking that frame down?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Body frame is body level, what happens if you keep shrinking that frame down?
    Not sure I understand your concern here. What's your definition of "body level"?

Here is an example that "shrinking your frame" can be used in "defense".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-tAVs7MKyY
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-16-2011 at 03:02 PM.

Not sure I understand your concern here. What's your definition of "body level"?

Here is an example that "shrinking your frame" can be used in "defense".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-tAVs7MKyY
    I am referring to offense, your video would be called disappearing.

Body level is when you are using one big frame.

Blog Entries
    I am referring to offense, your video would be called disappearing.

Body level is when you are using one big frame.
    The wihite ape system "猴闪(Hou Shan) - monkey dodge" is one that you attack when you "shrink your frame down". When your oppponent punches at you, you deflect his punch from underneath, you squeeze your body into a small ball, spin your body, and strike the other elbow on his chest, while you get under his punching arm, and move behind him.

The wihite ape system "猴闪(Hou Shan) - monkey dodge" is one that you attack when you "shrink your frame down". When your oppponent punches at you, you deflect his punch from underneath, you squeeze your body into a small ball, spin your body, and strike the other elbow on his chest, while you get under his punching arm, and move behind him.

No, not ape moves.

If you shrink the structure, you should be able to create more structures within the original structure, kind of like one splits into two, two into four, four into eight and so on, their is no limit.

Blog Entries
    No, not ape moves.

If you shrink the structure, you should be able to create more structures within the original structure, kind of like one splits into two, two into four, four into eight and so on, their is no limit.
    A bit too abstract for me.

A bit too abstract for me.
    You clearly do not understand the tr3u internalz...

I remember someone, I think Scott R. Brown, calling me a fool when I said it was impossible to throw someone who doesn't have some forward momentum.

EO

Or how bout hiding your frame so that your opponent can find it? This is the essence of Taiji.

EO

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Olson View Post
    I remember someone, I think Scott R. Brown, calling me a fool when I said it was impossible to throw someone who doesn't have some forward momentum.

EO
    Well, you can throw him backwards is his momentum is going backwards
    What John means about the "collapsing frame" is to "fall" before you get thrown.
    Basically apply "dead weight" at the correct time, Mifune was reknown for that.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    What John means about the "collapsing frame" is to "fall" before you get thrown.
    Basically apply "dead weight" at the correct time, Mifune was reknown for that.
    Like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFXbuszijCM

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    Well, they were going easy on the old man, but yes, pretty much that.