Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Does the "Iron Shirt" or the "Iron Fist" training and technique work?

When I was a teenager, and more into traditional training, I used to bang my forearms against trees and such. After a while I stopped, but even now, 15 years later, they are still tough as hell; and the only work they get is from lifting.

That reminds me of a story, I had to be hospitalized when I was 16, and when the medic tried to put the IV in my forearm, he had a lot of trouble and remarked that they were really tough. By which I replied, "thanks!"

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Not a big believer in these tactics, not stating that if it's your bag don't do it, by all means go for it.

My thoughts are yes you need to be able to take a punch/kick but more importantly, shouldn't you be getting out of the way of the train when you see it coming. I understand that not all things are seen when connected with striking and that you should be able to condition you body enough to take and accept hits, but again, my thoughts are MOVE. the time spent training this could be spent on foot work, bob and weave, level changing, etc. I like to move in for the clinch, which negates the strikes to some degree. But again this is my opinion and is held as such. If it's your game have at it.
    cheers.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

In regards to the duration of the effects.
    While SOME characteristics will remain ( ability to take a shot, "harder" hands, etc), you need consistant training to keep them at a high level.
    That said I have found that, like doing weight training, taking intermittant breaks actually gives the body time to recover and adapt better to the training.
    It has been my experience that after the "core" of the program is done that taking a week break, maybe two, every few months (3-4), seems to not only refresh one mentally but allow to body to "recover" and "adapt" to the training.
    You come back to it "better".
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    While SOME characteristics will remain ( ability to take a shot, "harder" hands, etc), you need consistant training to keep them at a high level.
    That said I have found that, like doing weight training, taking intermittant breaks actually gives the body time to recover and adapt better to the training.
    It has been my experience that after the "core" of the program is done that taking a week break, maybe two, every few months (3-4), seems to not only refresh one mentally but allow to body to "recover" and "adapt" to the training.
    Agreed. I was told that, once you get past the beginner stages, less is actually more.

In the beginning you need to do it every day for the first 6 months or whatever. Once you've been doing it for 6-12 months, you can get away with missing some days every now and then.

This is probably because at this level it becomes an issue maintenance rather than increasing conditioning.

Of course, if you're gonna take a week or two off like you suggest, when you resume, I would build back up to where you were over a few days rather than jumping right back in. It's like if you take a week or two off from weightlifting, you don't come back and attempt your 1RM on the first set.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    Agreed. I was told that, once you get past the beginner stages, less is actually more.

In the beginning you need to do it every day for the first 6 months or whatever. Once you've been doing it for 6-12 months, you can get away with missing some days every now and then.

This is probably because at this level it becomes an issue maintenance rather than increasing conditioning.

Of course, if you're gonna take a week or two off like you suggest, when you resume, I would build back up to where you were over a few days rather than jumping right back in. It's like if you take a week or two off from weightlifting, you don't come back and attempt your 1RM on the first set.
    Yes, agreed oh rusty fist.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    As Dale said, yes it works.

Iron Palm
    Just remember that iron palm is much more than just the ability to break blocks with your hands. Yes, I can do that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD2CJC82vWM Though it often gets the most press, block breaking is a minor, secondary effect that comes from iron palm training.

In my opinion, the true point of iron palm training is two-fold:
    1. It toughens the hand to protect it against injury when striking.
    2. It teaches you the physics of energy transference through an object.

Iron palm was designed to teach you how to strike the human body with concussive force that can injure the internal organs.

A qualified instructor is the best way to learn the skill. I also recommend the iron palm DVD from the Iron Lotus Society: http://www.theironlotussociety.com/Products.htm It is an excellent resource and is just like being there with them in class. Plus, they hold nothing back.

Iron Body
    A very necessary skill in ancient times, a cool skill to learn in modern times. It toughens the body to endure a great deal of physical abuse.
    Can anyone here contact Rod Morgan for me? I paypal'd him the money for the iron palm DVD back on 12/09/11 and he said I'd receive it by the 19th at the latest. I didn't receive it and have contacted him twice since for a tracking number, but have received no response. I think you experienced a delay initially as well Mooying, but eventually received it. I still haven't received mine though?.....

Quote Originally Posted by Faruq View Post
    Can anyone here contact Rod Morgan for me? I paypal'd him the money for the iron palm DVD back on 12/09/11 and he said I'd receive it by the 19th at the latest. I didn't receive it and have contacted him twice since for a tracking number, but have received no response. I think you experienced a delay initially as well Mooying, but eventually received it. I still haven't received mine though?.....
    No, I didn't experience a delay. There was a mix up as to the DVD I received, but after I notified Rod about the mix up he sent another DVD which I received in about 2-3 days.

You can contact him through Facebook via Rodney Morgan. His avatar on FB is the Iron Palm Society logo. So, he should be easy to find.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    That is my belief as well.
    Richard A. Tolson

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

No, I didn't experience a delay. There was a mix up as to the DVD I received, but after I notified Rod about the mix up he sent another DVD which I received in about 2-3 days.

You can contact him through Facebook via Rodney Morgan. His avatar on FB is the Iron Palm Society logo. So, he should be easy to find.
    Thanks, bro. Since my e-mails have been abortive, perhaps contact via Facebook will receive a response.

I called and talked to Rod about this.

He is on it and getting a new DVD out to you.

Its worth the wait.

Let me know when you need Dit Da Jow for training.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Faruq View Post
    Thanks, bro. Since my e-mails have been abortive, perhaps contact via Facebook will receive a response.
    I sent him a copy of your post via PM at Facebook. So, I am sure you will be hearing from him. As Dale said, I think it will be worth the wait. Rod and his group are the best I have ever seen at breaking skill and conditioning training. They hold nothing back.

Oops, I mistakenly put "Iron Palm Society" in my last post. It is actually "Iron Lotus Society".
    Richard A. Tolson

I sent him a copy of your post via PM at Facebook. So, I am sure you will be hearing from him. As Dale said, I think it will be worth the wait. Rod and his group are the best I have ever seen at breaking skill and conditioning training. They hold nothing back.

Oops, I mistakenly put "Iron Palm Society" in my last post. It is actually "Iron Lotus Society".
    Thanks, Mooying. Rod did contact me on 12/28/11 and said his wife was mailing it and he was gonna give me a tracking number, but as of 12/31/11 he has still not provided it, so I'm a little confused as to what he's doing since I paid him back on 12/09/11. I would've provided the tracking # when he contacted me on 12/28/11, if I were him. It's probably on its way, so no big deal. If he weren't recommended by people on the site, then I'd be worried, lol.

And yes, just like those of Sifu Garry Hearfield, I am very impressed by the skills and knowledge of Rod and his society. I can't wait to finally get the DVD!

Thanks Again Buddy!
    Last edited by Faruq; 12-31-2011 at 06:57 PM.
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man