Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does the "Iron Shirt" or the "Iron Fist" training and technique work?

Does the "Iron Shirt" or the "Iron Fist" training and technique work?

If it does how do you train it?

The only iron skill worth learning is Iron Crotch - the ladies love it.

short answer is yes it does, and you train via proper instruction.

you might find some good info in these threads. a bit of sifting will be needed. there are several posters here who are very familiar with iron methods. of immediate note to my memory; Mooyingmantis, Sanjuro Ronin, Dale Dugas are all iron palm and or body practitioners that know what they are talking about. im sure there are more, but i just cant recall who at the moment.

http://kungfumagazine.com/forum/sear...archid=3360627
    Last edited by Lucas; 11-17-2011 at 01:29 PM.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

It does work.

http://youtu.be/EfVhDHlsWCw

Mooyingmantis and Sanjuro Ronin can also chime in with their experiences as well.

Let me know how I can be of service to you.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    It does work.

http://youtu.be/EfVhDHlsWCw

Mooyingmantis and Sanjuro Ronin can also chime in with their experiences as well.
    As Dale said, yes it works.

Iron Palm
    Just remember that iron palm is much more than just the ability to break blocks with your hands. Yes, I can do that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD2CJC82vWM Though it often gets the most press, block breaking is a minor, secondary effect that comes from iron palm training.

In my opinion, the true point of iron palm training is two-fold:
    1. It toughens the hand to protect it against injury when striking.
    2. It teaches you the physics of energy transference through an object.

Iron palm was designed to teach you how to strike the human body with concussive force that can injure the internal organs.

A qualified instructor is the best way to learn the skill. I also recommend the iron palm DVD from the Iron Lotus Society: http://www.theironlotussociety.com/Products.htm It is an excellent resource and is just like being there with them in class. Plus, they hold nothing back.

Iron Body
    A very necessary skill in ancient times, a cool skill to learn in modern times. It toughens the body to endure a great deal of physical abuse.
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 11-17-2011 at 01:48 PM.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    in short: train harder then the guy you're trying to beat and you'll win.

not to take away from the esteemed individuals aforementioned...but, the bottom like is: train harder than the next guy.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

I'm a little rusty on my iron shirt...

lol...

yes, it works and it conditions the body.

slow repetitive striking hardens the skin and muscle tissue through density increase. Bone is hardened in a similar way except through a shock/crack/refill process.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Internal Iron Body uses lots of twisting exercises that help to strengthen and thicken the fascia of the body.

Advanced exercises are used to condition the tissues and the bones.

There is both Pai Da Gung which is basically beating the body to thicken tissues, and desensitize the body.

Then there is internal Iron Body which does not use hitting the body but focuses on training the fascia through twisting and moving the body through certain routes of motion.

Both will get you to the same destination but will be different in appearance.

There is also "Shi Swei Jing" which combines certain "intention based" preparation methods, warm up massages and direct utilizization of weighted increments to train deep layer connective tissue for cohesive strength. A beating sequence, specific to meridian structures in the body follows, usually done with an iron flail but on occasion in early stages with a bamboo flail when the practioner is not yet strong enough.

And yes, it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Asroj2x2CqU
    One of these days the world is going to become so politically correct that it will scare itself out of existence.

MP 2007

Shifu Patterson has shared another method that trains internal and external using different methods but again there are many paths to the same destination.

I have a copper flail that I bought from my kung fu brother which was made of out of copper high power line.

Love my flail.

My wife hates it when I tap in the house....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Patterson View Post
    There is also "Shi Swei Jing" which combines certain "intention based" preparation methods, warm up massages and direct utilizization of weighted increments to train deep layer connective tissue for cohesive strength. A beating sequence, specific to meridian structures in the body follows, usually done with an iron flail but on occasion in early stages with a bamboo flail when the practioner is not yet strong enough.

And yes, it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Asroj2x2CqU

Sifu Patterson, is "cohesive strength" a reference to strength gained through internal body unity?

I am asking, because I am trying to find parallels or corelations to some of the Chow Gar methodologies I have trained. Your reference to "intension based" training also rings a lot of bells, also, as regards some of the methodologies which those who do not train the Internals seem not to comprehend.
    Last edited by Hardwork108; 11-18-2011 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    Sifu Patterson, is "cohesive strength" a reference to strength gained through internal body unity?

I am asking, because I am trying to find parallels or corelations to some of the Chow Gar methodologies I have trained. Your reference to "intension based" training also rings a lot of bells, also, as regards some of the methodologies which those who do not train the Internals seem not to comprehend.
    Well, I see you took out your "thank you for the video. it was interesting." comment while I was typing this, to which I was going to say; "Gawd! You haven't seen that before? It's ancient. That footage was shot in 1981!"

Anyways, that aside... I am referring to training deep connective layers through the discipline called "Shi Swei Jing" (Wash Marrow) as usually translated. CT runs through the entire body, in and around everything. The aspect of Shi Swei that uses incremental weight based training understands this. The more weight that is applied, the greater the "load" on the CT that runs from the privates up through the torso and beyond. Over time, this yields tremendous strength of this tissue.

The preparation work we do involves manifest intention in standing frames mostly with very slight actuation of movement, not yet real motion as would be perceived by the naked eye, but actuation of movement. This then engages these same deep layer connective tissues which is a skill we need to support large amounts of weight. It is not uncommon for practitioners like myself to routinely support 150 lbs. or more with this method.

But some people on this board do indeed get this. TGY comprehends this quite well in my humble opinion. He made an exceptional entry on the "key to internal" thread, page 9 near the bottom.

It's not mystical. It's practical. Just less common I reckon.
    One of these days the world is going to become so politically correct that it will scare itself out of existence.

MP 2007

Thank you Shifu Patterson.

My own Iron Vest training uses many twisting exercises to incorporate the CT to thicken and strengthen.

You need to strengthen the CT.

You need to somehow progressively overload the CT to strengthen it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    Thank you Shifu Patterson.

My own Iron Vest training uses many twisting exercises to incorporate the CT to thicken and strengthen.

You need to strengthen the CT.

You need to somehow progressively overload the CT to strengthen it.
    Right, Dale. Tax any system in the human body and it will respond by strengthening that same system, assuming it is healthy, oc.

Many old "kungs" are based on this simple truth. Body banging drills, conventional body mass strength trainings, etc.

The trick is in finding a way to tax the system in question without too much risk of permanent injury.

MP 2007