Thread: Tai Chi 0

Hybrid View

Tai Chi 0

New project alert - coming from Huayi Bros.
    Jet Li to show Tai-Chi, but not with Feng Xiaogang
    CRI, February 22, 2011

A scene in the 1993 film "Tai-Chi Master" ("Taiji Zhang Sanfeng") starring Jet Li and Michelle Yeoh. [File Photo: Baidu.com]

Jet Li has been confirmed to focus his new movie on the Chinese martial arts of Tai-Chi, but Feng Xiaogang won't be the director.

Production company Huayi Brothers announced the film on Monday, February 21, 2011. With the working title, "Tai-Chi", the film will star Jet Li as a legendary Tai-Chi master.

Li built one of his most successful roles with his portrayal of Tai-Chi master Zhang Sanfeng in Yuen Woo-Ping's 1993 film "Tai-Chi Master" ("Taiji Zhang Sanfeng"). Huayi Brothers didn't elaborate on Li's new character, but said it won't reprise Zhang Sanfeng.

Jet Li will be the executive producer of the film with Chen Kuo-Fu.

The kung-fu star has been dedicated to promoting Tai-Chi. He announced in August, 2010 that he was working to help Tai-Chi push-hands (a two-person training routine) become an official Olympic sport.

As for the director of "Tai-Chi", Huayi Brothers didn't announce a specific candidate, but denied previous rumors that Feng Xiaogang would direct the film.

Feng, who made such bankable films as "Aftershock" and the "If You Are the One" series, is preparing for his own project that "will involve heavy investment," according to Huayi Brothers.

Previous reports suggest Feng's upcoming film will be about the bombing of Chongqing, a five-year-long military operation conducted by the invading Japanese troops on China's wartime capital during WWII.
    I wonder if this will conflict with Stephan Chow's Tai Chi project with Jack Black and Anne Hathaway.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Taichi Trilogy

"Taichi 0", "Taichi Hero" & "Taichi Summit"

"Taichi" Confirmed to Shoot Trilogy
    2011-11-10 15:44:43 Chinese Films

Concept Poster of the Film "Taichi 0" [Photo: mtime.com]

The film "Taichi", a heavyweight blockbuster and one of the films included in the Huayi Brothers' "H Plan" for a series of 2011 hit movies, has attracted intense interest from overseas producers. The frenzy of interest comes as the concept posters were released at the 64th Cannes Film Festival, according to reports from mtime.com.

Though the film is currently midway through the filming process, its copyright has been sold to 31 countries in the American Film Market (AFM), which was held in Santa Monica, California from November 2 to 9. Overseas copyright was sold to countries including UK, France, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Australia, New Zealand.

In regards to the American Film Market (AFM), the Huayi Brothers also announced that the "Taichi" trilogy will respectively be entitled "Taichi 0", "Taichi Hero" and "Taichi Summit". The president of Huayi Brothers, Wang Zhonglei, has revealed that the "0" of the prelude title means "zero", suggesting that the trilogy starts from "zero", and tells the tale of how a great master of Taichi was created.

The production of the trilogy has been launched at the same time, which can be taken as the first attempt of this kind in Chinese film history. The first two films of the trilogy are now being filmed, as part promises to be an intense production process for the company.

By Zhang Ting
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Curiosity peaked...
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

trend pushing

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    "Taichi 0", "Taichi Hero" & "Taichi Summit"
    so it seems that tai chi is being pushed as the next martial trend...that pic looks cool, my interest will be peaked when i see some footage.

Synopsis on The Film Catalogue

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    so it seems that tai chi is being pushed as the next martial trend...that pic looks cool, my interest will be peaked when i see some footage.
    I agree. Did you read my March April 2012 cover story: Putting Balls into Tai Chi?

Taichi O
    Chinese - Action/Adventure, Martial Arts

Company
    Huayi Brothers Media Corporation

Producer(s)
    Kuo-fu Chen

Production Status
    In Production

Completion Year

Synopsis
    As an uncommonly gifted child, Yang Luchan had a fleshy abnormality that holds tremendous power growing on his forehead. However being teased as the town fool, Yang’s mother spurs him to practice martial arts, and following her wishes, Yang travels the distance to come to Chen Village to learn TAI CHI.

At this legendary village, everyone practices TAI CHI and uses TAI CHI in every aspect of their lives. Nevertheless, it is forbidden for a villager to disclose TAICHI to an outsider, and Yang learned this the hard way.

Upon arriving at the village, locals discourage Yang by challenging him with fights. From the strong men to hold ladies to children, everyone defeats Yang with their TAICHI moves. After facing the toughest battle and being defeated by Master Chen’s beautiful daughter Yuniang, Yang is determined to master the art of TAICHI and he needs to find Master Chen.

Little does Yang know, the poor strange man who he befriended with is in fact Master Chen who then saved him from the duel with Yuniang. Master Chen realizes Yang’s genius and disguises himself to secretly guide Yang to his self realization of TAICHI.

One day, a frightening steam-powered machine came to the village, lead by Fang Zijing, a childhood friend of Yuniang. He has bribed government officials to permit him to build a railway that will run straight through the village. Yang decided to join forces with Yuniang to defeat Fang Zijing and destroy the machine. This brave act may just win the hearts of the villagers….

Budget
    10M-25M
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I really enjoyed Detective Dee. That pic looks like taichi vs. a tank...pretty interesting for sure.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Taiji vs. tank - a Tiananmen Square '89 metaphor perhaps?

I enjoyed DDatMofPF too. But I'm a huge fan of the fantASIA genre, so there you have it.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Tai Chi 0

Tai Chi Cyberpunk? Interesting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=DMkUloRXo3s#!

The special effects on this dude's eyes are tight.
    Last edited by Hebrew Hammer; 06-14-2012 at 02:24 PM.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

its actually steam punk...not cyber punk aaaaand...we have this thread already. prepare for the merge...lol

Be gentle Douglas...sometimes I just want to be held. What's the diff between cyber punk and steam punk?

steam punk is like steam engines, old crank driven wheel flying machines, flint locks, etc. in combination with 'punkish' themes of style

cyber punk generally involves the cyber world, electronics, hacking and futuristic worlds, lazers, cyborgs etc. with a 'punkish' theme of style.

time periods basically
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

you'll notice in steampunk a common renaissance-ish and early amercian, turn of the centuray europian theme. cogs, gears and wheels and steam power, and LOTS of goggles. where as in cyber punk you see more of a futuristic blending of man and machine, of being 'jacked in'

cyberpunk:

steampunk:
    Last edited by Lucas; 06-14-2012 at 11:18 AM.

Awww I see...thanks for the clarification...never heard steam punk before.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    steam punk is like steam engines, old crank driven wheel flying machines, flint locks, etc. in combination with 'punkish' themes of style

cyber punk generally involves the cyber world, electronics, hacking and futuristic worlds, lazers, cyborgs etc. with a 'punkish' theme of style.

time periods basically
    The "punk" labeling on steampunk is contentious. Mostly it comes from the involvement of cyberpunk alums like K.W. Jeter (who wrote authorized Blade Runner sequel novels and who coined the term steampunk), Bruce Sterling and even (in one book only) Gibson himself in the genesis of the genre back in the late '80s.

However most modern steampunk fiction owes more to pulp fiction than to cyberpunk from a thematic perspective.

But whether you want to call it steampunk or steampulp, China's been doing it in kung fu movies since long before it was a big thing over here. EX: Once Upon a Time in China III, The New Legend of Shaolin, Forbidden City Cop, or just about anything directed by Tsui Hark and set in the Qing dynasty. All mid-nineties fare (which doesn't predate the steampunk genre but certainly predates steampunk as a popculture force.)
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.