Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tai Chi 0

Release confusion...

An article I posted last week said "Tai Chi Zero 太極1 從零開始 on 27 Sep, followed by Tai Chi Hero 太極2 英雄崛起 on 25 Oct and Jackie CHAN 成龍's Chinese Zodiac 十二生肖 on 20 Dec." The thing is, there's been little talk of TCH yet. I've been waiting for more on that since I changed the title of this from Tai Chi Trilogy to Tai Chi 0, so as to start a second Tai Chi Hero thread. Usually they give a little more space between first film and sequel.

If you hear anything (not just Doug, all of you) please do post it here. I don't want to miss this one on the big screen.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Looks like it's Oct 19. Well Go was right, Doug.

3D IMAX. I'm so there.
    Tai Chi Zero: An IMAX 3D Experience

Genre: Action/Adventure

Starring: Daniel Wu, Qi Shu, Tony Leung Ka Fai, Angelababy, Paul Philip Clark, Eddie Peng, Pierre Bourdaud, Marc Goodman, David Trook

Director: Stephen Feng

Running Time: 1:34

Release Date: Opens Oct 19, 2012
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Lucas, I'm tempted to split that post off into it's own thread titled Shanghai Steam

Meanwhile, check out the new trailer.

Tai Chi Zero Exclusive Trailer [HD]
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Interview w/Stephen Fung

Remember the Edison Chen scandal? I didn't connect it with Fung until this interview.
    Stephen Fung Talks Finding The Next Generation For TAI CHI ZERO
    Todd Brown, Founder and Editor

Stephen Fung was on top of the world in 2005. The popular actor had made a successful transition to directing with both his debut feature, Enter The Phoenix, and sop****re effort, House Of Fury, embraced by fans and critics alike. Fung appeared poised to be one of the leaders of a new wave of Hong Kong directors, popular figures who embraced and engaged the young audience in a way that the old guard no longer could.

And then Edison Chen happened.

In the midst of production on Fung's third feature, Jump, his leading man was caught up in the midst of the biggest sex scandal in Hong Kong entertainment history. Through no fault of his own, Fung's third effort was a catastrophe and the talented young director simply dropped off the map.

But no more. Fung arrived to great fanfare at both the Venice and Toronto film festivals with his latest effort, Tai Chi Zero. The first of a two part film - with a third being prepared as well - Tai Chi Zero aims to do nothing less than to reinvigorate the Chinese martial arts movie with a fresh style, fresh energy and a new star. I had the chance to speak with Fung about the film in Toronto and present that conversation now, prior to the film's US debut at Fantastic Fest.

Twitch: I'd like to ask you about the process of setting this film up. It's so much larger than your previous movies and there were so many problems on JUMP - which had nothing to do with you, obviously - plus making the transition to working in the mainland. What was the process of getting something like this started up?

Fung: I think it really helps to have a big studio behind you, like Huayi Brothers. They're obviously a mainland China studio and it is their intention to invest in big projects like TAI CHI because they believe that audiences want to see something new out of kung fu movies. Our producer Chen Kuo-fu, who also wrote the script, also believed in this and wanted to do something that could break new ground. And they knew that to break new ground the budget had to be bigger, because they're testing out new waters. We didn't want to do an experimental tai chi movie, where you just try out a little bit. It's better to at least try to go all the way.

There's a certain irreverence to the humor in your earlier films. Were there any concerns at all about whether you would have to modify you style and approach when working in the mainland? The censorship rules are just different there.

For TAI CHI ZERO it wasn't an issue because we weren't touching on any sensitive material. It's also never been my style to ... I guess in my first movie, ENTER THE PHOENIX, I dealt with gangsters and ****sexuals which may be sensitive to censorship in China, but in this particular case it worked fine. I didn't have to deliberately try to shy away from a certain kind of humor because that humor just wasn't there in the first place.

One thing that I really loved about the movie is how well I think you balance a sense of respect for the Golden Era, the 1980s kung fu comedies, while really pushing into a new era. Particularly how you brought in the old stars and made a really deliberate point of making sure everyone knew who they were and then let them do their thing. When you started doing that were there particular people you had in mind? Stars you had particular connections to or fondness for from your youth?

Yes. The reasoning behind having descriptions behind them, putting their resumes on screen, that started when we thought we should do it to the main character, Jayden Yuan. He's a newcomer, had never done anything on screen before. So we thought we'd give him a description - he's an Olympic wushu gold medalist - that people would focus less on acting. [laughs] Managing expectations! He's a kung fu guy, he's never done any film before!

He's fun! He's got really good screen charisma!

Yes, I think he does! But it was down the road a bit where we could really see that and be really comfortable. So we thought at the beginning that maybe we should ease audiences into their acting. And then we just thought, "That was actually quite fun, how about we put descriptions for EVERYBODY?!" Except the ones you know very well, like Shu Qi. We didn't need to do anything for them. There are a lot ... I just wouldn't call a lot of the cast professional actors or actresses. Like Mandy, she's a top model in Hong Kong. So we put that description on.

When you were choosing the 70s and 80s stars, were there reasons you chose those particular people? Were they stars you followed growing up?

Some of them are. I actually got an interesting question before from a reporter who asked whether I was trying to make a sort of EXPENDABLES movie with all these 70s stars in it. And no, it wasn't that, I just thought these particular guys would suit the roles really well. That was it.

It almost feels like you're passing the torch. You have these people from the previous generation who laid the groundwork for all of this playing against all of these new faces. The problem with Chinese speaking kung fu movies in the past ten years or more is that there just haven't been any new stars. But now in this cast you have the older guys, who laid down the groundwork, then you skip the current generation and you obviously went out of your way to find a whole lot of new people. Here's the past, here's the future, let's go.

Yes, yes. That's also why we wanted to cast a newcomer, since this whole project is based on trying to break new ground. There just hasn't been a new martial artist who has really broken out and we were trying to find one. And Jayden seems to be right for this character. He's a very shy guy and he seems to fit right in.

In terms of some of your style choices, what I heard people talking about after the screening were films like SCOTT PILGRIM VERSUS THE WORLD. Both SCOTT and TAI CHI ZERO really approach the material like a graphic novel, in the framing and editing and all the captioning you do. And the captioning is really funny, by the way, it works even in translation.

I think that comes out of just what I'm used to, what my hobbies were as a kid. And I studied graphic design when I was attending school in Michigan. Yeah, I guess all of the above ... the mix of genres became a mixed bag of inspiration for me.

Were there particular films out of China that you looked at? Other directors who you think of as the young generation who are going to change things?

I think Pang Ho-cheung. He is a director who I really like. He sticks to his own style, his snappy dialogue. His new movie VULGARIA he shot for just twelve days and it's having huge success in Hong Kong. I like him a lot. I like Wilson Yip a lot. He's still pretty young, too. I think it's interesting that there are different kinds of directors and films, from Pang doing a film in twelve days to us doing this massive project in three hundred days. It's an interesting time.

I know the second film is definitely coming very soon but there is talk of a third one as well. Is that happening?

Yes! We are working on the script right now. I hope the first two do so well that we can increase the budget for the third one.

Have there been press screenings in China yet? Any idea how the local audience will respond?

No, just Venice and Toronto. I anticipate that some will like it and some will hate it, but they're going to talk about it.

Now, I was in Hong Kong right around when the Edison Chen thing happened and I had been following JUMP really closely because I had really enjoyed HOUSE OF FURY and wanted to see what would happen for you next. And what happened was Edison. I can only imagine that when that happened it must have felt like your career blowing up.

Yes, though at first I didn't realize just to what magnitude the scandal would be. I saw the photos and at first I was still in disbelief, that things could have been photoshopped. That was my first reaction. And then I learned that they're real and the magnitude of the incident was just unbelievable. For two weeks in a row, every day in the newspapers it was the A1 cover story. That's unheard of. They were just talking about the same thing every day for two weeks. And it became a real issue because that film was shot in China and we were expecting a good response from the mainland Chinese market.

The worst part of that whole thing for me was that if the producers had decided not to release in China then we could have just kept Edison in and not had to reshoot it. It just would not have been shown in mainland China but could make some money in other territories. But they still wanted the Chinese market so we had to change a lot of things so that we could reshoot his part within the budget we had. And now it's the way it is. And it didn't do well in China anyway. It didn't do well anywhere.

Does it feel like a certain amount of vindication for you now that you're clear of that and you've done this and been embraced by two of the largest film festivals in the world? Does it feel good to be done?

Yes, absolutely. While I was shooting this movie I was really able to let go of the whole incident with JUMP.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I'm really confused about how this will be released now

TC0: China 9/27; US 10/19
    TCH: China 10/25; US ?

I suppose we should start a TCH thread soon. Maybe when someone finds a trailer...

Packing a punch
    Global Times | 2012-9-24 20:05:03
    By Shen Lili

Young Hong Kong director Stephen Fung, who used to be a household name, wants to make kung fu movies popular again and so has made a kung fu trilogy. Taichi is already being advertised around town and the first two movies will hit the cinemas on September 27 and October 25 respectively.

Starring Yuan Xiaochao, Tony Leung (Leung Ka Fai), Angelababy, Shu Qi and Daniel Wu, a cast combining talented veterans and popular idols, the movie tells the story of Yang Luchan (Yuan Xiaochao), who lives in the late Qing Dynasty (1644-1911), an era of great domestic strife and foreign aggression. Yang competes against the best tai chi master of his time.

Moving away from tradition

The producer Wang Zhonglei officially stated to the public that the Taichi trilogy overturns the tradition of Chinese kung fu movies. According to him, this time their marketing group defined the movie as a "hybrid kung fu movie," which he believes is very accurate. He said Taichi, from the aspects of type, plot and cast, diversifies the Chinese movie genre to make it fresh.

Feng's mission is worthy of admiration. It is no small venture to make such a big-budget production, which involved a 220 million-yuan ($34.9 million) investment, when the kung fu movie genre is in the depths of depression.

Taichi does make a bold attempt to be inventive. The movie employs elements from cartoons and video games. However, this creative undertaking seems to have both pros and cons.

Its supporters appreciate the creative spirit of the director. When the tricks of Jacky Chan and Jet Li that once surprised audiences became clichés copied thousands of times in fighting scenes, bored audiences became eager for something new, and Taichi gives this to them.

"Looking at a preview of Taichi, it can be seen that the movie itself is an attempt by a young director to add something new to kung fu movies. He adds a lot of modern elements into the movie, not only displaying the acrobatic fighting, but also involving high-tech methods and special effects," said movie critic Tomato Queen, who is popular on the Internet.

"Even the theme music is a breakthrough. It is of an electronic rock style," he told the Global Times. The critic defined Taichi as a "special fashion of kung fu movie." He thinks it's exaggerated to say it will save movies of its type from decline, but it's certainly an encouraging exploration for modern kung fu movies.

Possibly novelty is the key to revive an industry in decline. According to Kong Fu Time, a blogger on Sina Weibo focusing on kung fu movies, pure kung fu movies are not necessarily welcomed anymore.

Therefore "diversification and creation turn out to be good things for kung fu movies to stand out among numerous and various kinds of movies," he told the Global Times.

Fight for survival

But different from many other types of movies, kung fu movies should still focus on the fighting part. Innovations should be concentrated on the acrobatic fighting scenes.

Wu Ya'nan, a tai chi player who has won champions in many world martial art competitions, hopes this one will be different from previous works on tai chi. "As a tai chi player, I expect to see a new representation of tai chi in the movie. Also the hero is my teammate in the national team, so I look forward to his performance."

But Wu also thinks that The Master of Tai Chi TV series performed by Wu Jing, and the movie of the same name performed by Jet Li, are too popular and pervasive, so it is quite a challenge. "To break the tradition without breaking away from tai chi skills means the action direction must be excellent," Wu told the Global Times.

Whether the fighting scenes in the movie also have a successful break is questioned. "The action director of the movie Taichi is Sammo Hung (a renowned Hong Kong action movie star and action director), so I am sure it is a first-class production in terms of fighting scenes," Lan Haihao, action director of Flying Swords of Dragon Gate, told the Global Times.

But others may have objections. According to Zhang Yi, website editor and famous movie critic adopting the screen name Dushe Levin, it is questionable whether the movie can refresh the whole movie type and lead to a kung fu movie comeback.

Either way, the audiences' response will be the final word. "Judging from the tai chi moves revealed in the preview, it does not look better than Ip Man (an acclaimed kung fu movie screened in 2008) in choreographing the martial art skills and tricks," Zhang told the Global Times.

Staying true to tai chi

Experts in tai chi are even more scornful. Tai chi master Zeng Qingzong complained to the Global Tines that "nowadays there are rarely any kung fu movies about tai chi that are produced by people who support the traditional tai chi techniques and theories."

He thinks only if movies use the traditional essence of tai chi as their base, like taking advantage of the power of the enemy and keeping harmony in the inner heart, can they really improve the "tai chi part."

For many kung fu movie fans, it is obvious that the innovation in this movie, and of a few other recent kung fu movies, is actually an imitation of Hollywood style to a certain extent. For instance, this year's Wu Dang is fiercely criticized for its clumsy abuse of computer technologies and its simple adventure thread.

Audiences of kung fu movies, on one hand, are looking for something novel, but on the other, they never want to see the movie getting too far away from the traditional Chinese kung fu movie plot in which every punch should look real and clever, showing the beauty and wisdom of Chinese kung fu. An example is the short rejuvenation of kung fu movies stimulated by Ip Man, where Donnie Yen fully presents his genuine Chinese kung fu skills.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

4d

See also 4D Sex and Zen: Slayer of a Thousand from the Mysterious East

Busan to play first 4-D feature
    By Patrick Frater
    Thu, 27 September 2012, 16:46 PM (HKT)
    Exhibition News

Stephen FUNG 馮德倫's Tai Chi Zero 太極1 從零開始 is to be the first movie shown in 4-D at next month's Busan International Film Festival 부산국제영화제.

Two free screenings of the Hong Kong-China co-production will be presented at the CGV Centum City multiplex, part of the CJ group which developed the 4-DX technology.

The 4-DX technology and features seats which pitch, roll and heave as well as environmental effects including wind, scents, strobe lights and even face wetting.

It was introduced by CGV in 2009 and is currently installed in some 34 theatres around the world, more than a third of which are in South Korea.

The first part of a planned trilogy, zero opens today in China on an exclusive 3-D engagement. It played in 2-D at the Venice International Film Festival and Toronto International Film Festival.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Oh crap!

I just found the select theaters on Well Go's site and there's nothing near me.

USA
    Oct 19, 2012

AMC Mission Valley 20
    1640 Camino Del Rio, North
    San Diego California 92108
    United States

Regal Laguna Village 12
    8755 Center Parkway
    Sacramento California 95823
    United States

Laemmle Noho 7
    5240 Lankershim Blvd.
    North Hollywood California 91601
    United States

Chinese 6 Theaters
    6801 Hollywood Blvd.
    Hollywood California 90028
    United States

AMC Atlantic Times Square 14
    450 N. Atlantic Boulevard
    Monterey Park California 91754
    United States

AMC Puente Hills 20
    1560 South Azusa Avenue
    City Of Industry California 91748
    United States

Edwards University Town Center
    4245 Campus Drive
    Irvine California 92612
    United States

AMC River East 21
    322 East Illinois Street
    Chicago Illinois 60611
    United States

AMC Boston Commons 19
    175 Tremont St
    Boston Massachusetts 02111
    United States

AMC Empire 25
    234 West 42nd Street
    New York New York 10036
    United States

Hollywood Theater
    4122 NE Sandy Boulevard
    Portland Oregon 97212
    United States

UA Riverview Plaza Stadium 17
    1400 S. Columbus Blvd.
    Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19147
    United States

AMC Studio 30
    2949 Dunvale
    Houston Texas 77063
    United States

AMC Pacific Place 11
    600 Pine Street - Ste 400
    Seattle Washington 98101
    United States

Oct 26, 2012
    Pearlridge 16
    98 - 1005 Moanalua Road
    Aiea Hawaii 96701
    United States

Regal Dole Cannery
    735 B Iwilei Rd.
    Honolulu Hawaii 96817
    United States
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Fuk ya sucka!!!! Finally i trump you for once!!!!!! Portland oregon mofo!!!!!!!!! Hollywood theater regularly has kungfu marathons and stuff. I'm there for sure.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I just found the select theaters on Well Go's site and there's nothing near me.
    **** gene, looks you are out of the running for this one...and it looks like its going to be awesome...just asked well go for some info on the second part...waiting for a response.

pwnd by Lucas

I look forward to your review here, Lucas. No spoilers (or at least do them in tiny font and in yellow so they are easy to skip over).
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I promise to be courteous
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Yuan Xiaochao

Here's a sample vid of him - Yuan XiaoChao wushu chang chuan men 9/10

Posted: Sat., Sep. 29, 2012, 4:00am PT
    Yuan aims for 'Tai Chi' knockout
    Martial arts still works its Chinese B.O. magic
    By Clifford Coonan

Yuan Xiaochao went to Venice to promote “Tai Chi 0”; the pic recently opened in China.
    BEIJING -- Since the death of Bruce Lee nearly 40 years ago, many have held the unofficial title of kung fu box office master, including Jackie Chan, who keeps retiring and un-retiring, matching the genre with jokey repartee; and Jet Li, one for purists who remains a powerful draw across Asia.

Enter a new dragon, if you would, this one a real-life martial art champion, who the Chinese shingle Huayi Brothers hopes can fight his way to the top of the list of claimants, and capture the global imagination.

Yuan Xiaochao is a two-time world champion and gold medalist at the Doha Asian Games in the practice of wushu, or Chinese martial arts, and changquan, which means "long fist," a discipline that involves fully extended movements. In his acting bow -- in Stephen Fung's "Tai Chi 0," which bowed out of competition at the recent Venice Film Festival, and opens in China at the end of last month -- Yuan plays a fighter who pursues his dream to become the greatest practitioner of tai chi.

"I always liked watching Bruce Lee movies, and I admire him very much as he helped people know and love Chinese kung fu. But it's been a long time since those films, and we have many young people now, and I wanted to do something more contemporary for young people," Yuan says.

"I grew up with Jet Li's movies, and I was influenced by him," Yuan says.

It's hard to overstate the importance of kung fu in China, and in areas of Asia where Chinese culture is popular.

In central China, kung fu is compulsory in many high schools, and Chinese students are familiar with knife wielding, snake boxing and other arts of self defense.

Kung fu is actually a generic term for many different skills, used mainly in the West. In China, people use the word wushu to refer to martial arts. Practitioners say other martial arts like karate originated from kung fu.

Kung fu encompasses the fierce, but witty, Bruce Lee chopsocky classics of the 1970s and elegant artistic films like "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" and "Hero," and draws top helmers like Peter Chan, Tsui Hark and Zhang Yimou. It is a global cinematic language that appeals to the mass-market chopsocky consumer in Shanghai and the highbrow Zen Buddhist cineaste in a Parisian arthouse. The humorous kung fu movie is still a big draw, as Stephen Chow's "Kung Fu Hustle" has shown.

Yuan is the first to admit that performing martial arts in movies is different from being a martial arts athlete.

"Movements that are perfect for competing don't necessarily make for a good performance," he says. "So I watch and analyze my movements on the screen."

Yuan says that when he competes, his coach corrects him; but in "Tai Chi 0," there were a number of masters. "There are so many people around you, and you have to work with them," he says.

Huayi topper Wang Zhonglei says there hasn't really been a new big-name wushu practitioner in the movies for a while -- one who can fire the imagination of a younger audience.

"This is the right time for a martial arts legend," he says. "But they have to be a genius."

Contact the Variety newsroom at news@variety.com
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I think the US distribution will expand.

It's getting such good buzz. There's a photo album if you follow the link.
    Starting from "0": How Stephen Fung is reinventing Kung Fu cinema
    By Han Wei Chou | Posted: 03 October 2012 1515 hrs
    Blending Steampunk and Kung Fu in "Taichi 0".

SINGAPORE: Helmed by Hong Kong actor-director Stephen Fung, the Kung Fu action film "Taichi 0" has received praise from audiences in China, Hong Kong and Taiwan for its innovative melding of martial arts action, Steampunk elements and video game influences.

But there can be no innovation without risk.

Fung knows this better than anyone, and he expressed that he wasn't quite sure how audiences will react to the unusual mix of elements in "Taichi 0" at first, but decided to take a chance on the film anyway.

"If we don't innovate, we'll forever be watching the same thing over and over again. It becomes meaningless.

"I feel that innovation means you need to overturn established norms. Every time you overturn these norms and do something new, it is really hard."

"There is no way of knowing 100 per cent that it will be good," Fung told reporters during his promotional visit to Singapore on Monday.

"But you see, after 'Ip Man' (a hit martial arts film), I see a lot of traditional Kung Fu films that didn't succeed."

"Since even doing traditional Kung Fu films may not work, why not try something new? If I have to 'die', I'd rather 'die' trying to create something new," he explained with a laugh.

Brand new Kung Fu?

"Taichi 0" is indeed "something new".

The film has a relatively old-school Kung Fu film plot about a young man Yang Luchan's (played by Chinese martial arts champion Yuan Xiaochao) journey to learn the ultimate Kung Fu skill, and has him attempt to save a village from being destroyed to make way for a railroad, but that is probably the only thing it has in common with traditional Kung Fu films.

"Taichi 0" sees the protagonist face off against a massive steam-powered mechanical beast, because Fung wanted to replicate in his film how a video game character encounters a 'boss monster' at the end of a level.

Fung put in Steampunk visual elements in the film, and decided to include heavy metal music in its soundtrack.

Even the martial arts fight scenes are different – the film's action choreographer Sammo Hung had eschewed his signature hard hitting set-pieces in favour of the more fluid, stylized fights Fung wanted.

Still, the film's biggest departure from tradition is Fung's decision to "keep it light and entertaining", and ditch the melodrama that permeates most martial arts film.

"We wanted to make a film that appealed to the youth and allowed the whole family to watch. Like a Disney film," said the 38-year-old director.

However, Fung admitted that putting these varied elements together had not been easy, and required him to constantly talk things out with the teams handling various aspects of film production like the music and visual effects.

"As a director, you need to find a strong concept and then communicate with the relevant departments a lot to do this film," said Fung.

New chapter in Kung Fu cinema

While "Taichi 0" has been described by some critics as the kind of action film that looks set to replace traditional Kung Fu movies, Fung disagrees.

He believes "Taichi 0" is not a replacement for traditional Chinese martial arts films and is simply a different take on the genre as well as its conventions.

"In the past, there were a lot of classic Kung Fu shows … in the future; there will still be these kinds of films.

"But after 'Taichi 0', the definition of Kung Fu film will be different, that it can also be a film like this," said Fung, before adding that he is not too concerned about the film's box office takings, even though it has become a surprise box office hit.

"Although I am really happy that it has done very well in the box office in China and Taiwan, I don't think it's that important," said Fung.

"The important thing is that our film has written a new chapter in the history of Kung Fu films."

Also starring Tony Leung Kar Fai, Angelababy, Shu Qi and Eddie Peng, "Taichi 0" is the first part of a planned trilogy, and will hit screens here on Thursday.

The second film in the trilogy, "Taichi Hero", will be released on October 25.

-CNA/ha
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

opens today

...in Asia...not in the US quite yet.

‘Tai Chi 0’ takes Asia worldwide
    by Peter Chai
    inSing.com - 4 October 2012 3:06 PM

Actors Tony Leung Ka-Fai, Yuan Xiaochao and director Stephen Fung. Photo: Nicholas Yeo

Four-time Hong Kong Film Award winner, Tony Leung Ka-Fai, claimed that ‘Tai Chi 0’, the first movie in the ‘Tai Chi’ trilogy directed by actor-turned-director Stephen Fung, may well turn the Chinese film industry on its head through the eyes of international audiences, not to mention provide viewers around the world with a deeper understanding of the concept of Chinese martial arts, especially taiji.

“When I was first involved in this movie, I realized that it may be the next big thing in the movie industry. I saw its great potential in highlighting our rich Chinese culture and film productions on the international stage," said Leung. The film managed to open in top spots in the box office in its first week of release in both Hong Kong and China.

The actor who was here in Singapore to promote the movie added, "Many years ago, our martial arts representative was Bruce Lee. He used his kungfu knowledge and acting skills to help promote Chinese martial arts to the world. Thus, I am very proud to be a part of ‘Tai Chi 0’, a film that somewhat continues his legacy and I have high expectations for it."

It is only normal for the actor to mention Bruce Lee after having starred in the 2010 film, ‘Bruce Lee, My Brother’. As one who seldom has a hand in action scenes, he was thrilled when he knew that he had to perform some martial arts stunts in Fung's directorial feature.

“When I first got the script, I wondered how I was going to illustrate the art of tai chi for three movies. I have to do fighting scenes! But I'm glad that Stephen invited me to star in a kungfu film before I can't move freely. I don't think I can do those stunts in a few more years later as I am getting old," said Leung, who had to learn taiji from a Chinese master in China for two months before filming.

‘Tai Chi 0’ has been praised by movie critics for its creativity and novelty as director Fung reinvented the Chinese martial arts genre by infusing it with elements of steampunk, machine, animation and video games.

“You know, if you do the same thing over and over again, the audience will only be limited to a certain kind of story and genre. We want to bring in something new to the traditional kungfu story and show people that there are alternative ways to film a Chinese martial arts movie," said Fung.

‘Tai Chi 0’ tells the story of a gifted child named Yang Luchan, who possesses tremendous power through the bump on his forehead. Shunned by the people around him for the same freakish bump, he goes out into the world to seek his fortune, namely to learn well-known taiji moves from Chen village.

However, according to the Chen family rules, they are not allowed to impart their knowledge to outsiders, but Yang gets his chance when he helps the villagers to stop the British authorities from destroying their homes.

2008 Olympic gold medallist Yuan Xiaochao stars as Yang Luchan, alongside stars Tony Leung Ka-fai, Angelababy, Eddie Peng, Shu Qi and Daniel Wu.

‘Tai Chi 0’ opens in theatres 4 October 2012
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More buzz

Does anyone know if Fung speaks English?
    Trailblazer: Stephen Fung

By Kwok Kar Peng
    The New Paper
    Saturday, Oct 06, 2012

HONG KONG - He was once a member of Hong Kong's elite young actors that include Daniel Wu, Nicholas Tse and Edison Chen because of the hit movies Gen-X Cops (1999) and its sequel, Gen-Y Cops (2000).

Stephen Fung also earned respect as a film-maker with Enter The Phoenix (2004) and House Of Fury (2005).

Then all went quiet as if the Hong Kong actor-turned-director had fallen off the radar.

In reality, the 38-year-old was working on what could be his most ambitious project to date.

Fung is spearheading Taichi 0 and Taichi Hero, two gongfu movies - filmed back to back - that cost a hefty 200 million yuan (S$39 million) to produce.

Taichi 0 features modern elements such as steampunk, heavy metal music, comic graphics and animation.

The film follows gongfu prodigy Luchan (played by Chinese rookie actor Jayden Yuan, a Chinese martial arts gold medallist at the 2006 and 2010 Asian Games), who's born with a small horn-like growth on his forehead that holds tremendous power, but is now threatening to kill him.

Luchan travels to Chen Village to learn taichi in a bid to reverse the damage and helps the villagers to fend off industrialisation, including a five-storey-high steam-powered machine called Troy.

Taichi 0, which also stars Tony Leung Ka Fai, Eddie Peng and Angelababy, opens here today. The sequel Taichi Hero will be shown here on Oct 25.

In an interview with FiRST on Monday, Fung said: "From the start, the concept was to film an innovative gongfu movie.

"The script gave me a lot of freedom for creativity, and I thought it would be interesting to add elements of steampunk, comic books, animation and video games.

"The whole idea of steampunk is very interesting. A bunch of artists imagined a world driven mostly by steam power. The artwork amuses me the most because it's very in your face."

While Fung is dabbling with a new look and genre for martial arts flicks, he doesn't think it will replace the traditional story-telling format.

He shared: "Many traditional gongfu movies are classics and there will still be many movies like that.

"After Taichi 0, the definition (of gongfu movies) will be different and people will realise that films can be like this too."

Fung isn't worried that his experiment combining gongfu with steampunk may fail.

"Many recent gongfu movies were not as successful as Ip Man (starring Donnie Yen) was. If filming them the traditional way isn't a guaranteed success, then why not do something innovative?

He added: "Box-office takings aren't the most important to me. It's how Taichi 0 writes a new page in the history of wushu films."

His efforts have been recognised. Taichi 0 is nominated for Best Make-up & Costume Design and Best Action Choreography in the upcoming Golden Horse Awards, which will be held in the Taiwanese city of Yilan on Nov 24.

Taichi 0 premiered at the Venice Film Festival at the end of August out of competition, and will open in the US and Canada this month.

Fung told us it wasn't a conscious decision to make a film that will be screened in non-Chinese speaking countries.

There's a big fan base all over the world for both gongfu movies and taichi, so he said he wouldn't be surprised if the film appealed to an international audience.

Pressure

Fung admitted he felt pressure from helming such a big production, and was worried about the weather and the actors' schedules.

"What we did has never been done before, so we needed more time to film as (the cast and crew) were not familiar with the genre," Fung said.

"For example, Troy is five storeys high, and we had to figure out how to move the machine and when to release the steam.

"The production crew was stressed because of this, and this controlled how much we could film in a day."

While he's still a recognisable face in this part of the world, Fung doesn't have plans to go back to acting as he doesn't like the limelight.

Directing is what he wants to do now, he confessed, as "I'm the controlling sort and likes to control the entire production".

Nevertheless, he took on a small role in Taichi 0 because the original actor dropped out at the last minute.

Fung even set himself on fire in one scene.

He said: "I suffered some burns, but they weren't a problem. We carried out all the safety precautions, for instance, I wore a fire-resistant suit and applied fire-retardant gel on my face.

"I didn't feel anything at first, but I felt the heat very soon."

"I felt a sense of accomplishment doing something so dangerous. I also wanted to be an example to the younger actors, to let them know they should try their best to do the stunts themselves, and not be so eager to use stuntmen because the audience can see the difference."
    Oh, and the US distribution expanded significantly. I thought it might. Check the WellGo site now.
    SAN FRANCISCO / BAY AREA
    Regal Laguna Village 12
    8755 Center Parkway
    Sacramento California 95823

AMC Metreon 16
    135 Fourth St Suite 3000
    San Francisco California 94103

32100 Union Landing
    Union City California 94587

AMC Bay Street 16
    5614 Bay Street, Suite 220
    Emeryville California 94608

Landmark Shattuck Cinemas
    2230 Shattuck Avenue
    Berkeley California 94707
    Union Landing is the other side of Fremont. I could see it during a long lunch.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips