Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Define Sticking

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    theres a lot to be said for speaking quietly and carrying a big club too
    Yeh, big clubs rock.

Heres a question for you Kev... would you say PB VT is more like Alis style or Joes if you had to make a comparison?

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Yeh, big clubs rock.

Heres a question for you Kev... would you say PB VT is more like Alis style or Joes if you had to make a comparison?
    Ali, float 'n' sting , move 'n' angle, but with Thomas The Hit man Hearns arms

Yeh, big clubs rock.

It is probably similar to both, as just like boxing PB people don't use elbows....LOL!

Seriously though, I know the question was not for me, but I believe that all WC was designed to be "surgical".
    Last edited by Hardwork108; 11-22-2011 at 04:03 PM.

Ali, float 'n' sting , move 'n' angle, but with Thomas The Hit man Hearns arms
    Thanks for that, and boy couldnt hearns hit, but from my experience with WSL guys here in Oz i would have said they were more frazier-like in their approach..... constant pressure.

Thanks for that, and boy couldnt hearns hit, but from my experience with WSL guys here in Oz i would have said they were more frazier-like in their approach..... constant pressure.
    I thought that all Wing Chun was about constant pressure - flowing and "flooding" through your enemy with constant intensity?

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    I thought that all Wing Chun was about constant pressure - flowing and "flooding" through your enemy with constant intensity?
    You missed my earlier point.... some emphasise certain aspects more than others IMO.

As an example, TWC guys dont seem to have the same forward pressure as WSL guys BUT seem a bit lighter on their feet with more lateral movement, thats my experience anyway.

Sure, the TWC guys have forward pressure but they dont focus on it as much as other lineages.... doesnt stop making it WC though.

Frazier was all about forward and pressure, Ali wasnt.... still boxers though

GlennR

guilty myself before I learned a more angular approach with counter attacking.

guilty myself before I learned a more angular approach with counter attacking.
    Thats interesting Kev.... so youd view PBVT and a counterstriking style rahter than offensive?

Thats interesting Kev.... so youd view PBVT and a counterstriking style rahter than offensive?
    Its no less offensive, it sets guys up to over extend , cross arms, turn to reface from over momentum loss of balance...over quickly. There is no eggbeater from hell approach with a lead leg.

Its no less offensive, it sets guys up to over extend , cross arms, turn to reface from over momentum loss of balance...over quickly. There is no eggbeater from hell approach with a lead leg.
    You just described a counterstriker

Thats my take on WC as well.... and youre right, counterstrikers can be very offensive

Since I have a varied WC background I see good in many WC "interpretations". But I don't think I have the "Holy Grail" as Kevin and Graham feel they do.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Since I have a varied WC background I see good in many WC "interpretations". But I don't think I have the "Holy Grail" as Kevin and Graham feel they do.
    not the holy grail, the elbow grail....

not the holy grail, the elbow grail....
    Not according to the chi sau/o clips I've seen. I can make a clip explaining immovable elbow that is a principle across lineages if you'd like.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

I just did a google search and found a few Wing Chun schools that understand Mo Yuk Jiang/Bot Doan Jiang . Maybe I don't have t make a clip after all.
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 11-22-2011 at 05:57 PM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Kev, I'd put money on the fact that you could show me something useful and I could show you something useful. It's the nature of the martial "arts". There goes the I got the real deal idea. During a single class I can show students to cover a jab differently based on their size, speed, etc. Fighting is individual. I'd hate to have a student body of carbon copy robots. Sometimes I learn a new way to teach something based on what a student is able to pull off under pressure. I think pretty highly of my fighting ability yet I don't think I know it all. That's one thing you could learn from me.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr