Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the practicality of practicing impractical moves...

the practicality of practicing impractical moves...

comments on the underlying principles of training impractical movements... i believe that one has an edge if no one takes you seriously - the ultimate surprise of any attack... tiger styles are reknown for their tenacious ability to strike from any and all positions... feigning and providing openings is a customary trait of styles such as mantis, crane, monkey, lost track, drunken, and eagle, no?? where and how does one draw absolute conclusions on assumed situations and pre-conceptional martial art ideologies?? in my martial arts journey, i began to understand that one must be able to adapt to any given situation regardless of structure, posture, and circumstance...

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    comments on the underlying principles of training impractical movements... i believe that one has an edge if no one takes you seriously - the ultimate surprise of any attack...[...] feigning and providing openings is a customary trait of styles such as mantis [...]
    Mantis will feint and create setups and openings.

But the strategy is not based on doing impractical movements that make the other guy go, "wtf!!?1!".

Or was I not supposed to take this thread seriously?

Here's the thing, I would love to practice more martial movements that tend to be more flair than substance because it's fun and great exercise; but, my time is limited. I would rather spend more time on things that I know have a higher percentage chance of working than things that may take someone by surprise but may or may not be effective.

"Efficiency is anything that scores..." and especially if it's known to work for most people most of the time; otherwise it's a waste of my time.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    I would rather spend more time on things that I know have a higher percentage chance of working than things that may take someone by surprise but may or may not be effective.

I was going to comment of the same nature. Beat me to it.

If you do the "exotic" in your chosen field so be it. To each there own, but effective is effective and I would rather rely on something that is simple and not so "problematic" in nature when dealing with situations that call for such things.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Practice and timing are everything....if everyone trains to fight the same way, then you'd have the UFC or Boxing. Your opponents know what is coming and how to counter it...practicing a spinning backfist for example, training for it with differing opponents will provide you with a higher chance of landing than someone who goes for the high percentage shots.

It all depends on your skill set, mind set, and who you are as a martial artist. A head kick coming from a 300 lb man would something I wouldn't expect, hence my focus would be at preventing him from taking me down, landing a huge hay maker, or cornering me where I couldn't use space to my advantage. Again, if he trains for it, has the coordination and speed to pull it off, it would be devastating.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Hammer View Post
    Practice and timing are everything....
    Agree with you on this.

In Gong Li Chuan (many perople train this form, even Chinwoo system train this form too), there is a very interested footwork. You jump up with your left leg, land with your right leg, and add another left "stealing step" at the end. If you are young and has a lot of spring power, you can jump forward 12 feet with these 3 steps footwork. That's a lot of distance to cover. The interest thing is when you jump in the air, not only your opponent doesn't know what you are doing, from his distance judgement, there is no way that your punch can reach him. When you land your 2nd foot, the moment that you use stealing step to get that extra distance, your opponent may be too late to response.

Once in a while, you will find something like this in TCMA. It may not be a popular move but it sure add some surprise in combat. I love to collect these kind of "abnormal" moves. It makes TCMA training with so much fun.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-23-2011 at 01:22 AM.

The thing is there are always advanced and harder to pull off techniques found in martial arts, and many in Kung Fu. Once you have the basics down it is both fun and productive to work techniques that are "outside of the box" of what is considered conventional movments.

I can throw a roundhouse kick many times to my opponent and he may expect it, but if I throw my roundhouse than follow up with a spinning hook kick it is the element of suprise often because of how unorthodox or "outside the box" it is.

Getting caught up in the core basics is what I know and all I need mentality is both stagnant and unproductive.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Bringing something different to the table is always a good idea BUT you still have to be able to MAKE it work AND it has to be effective.
    And for that, it takes more than it being just "different".
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Practical, effective, but unexpected is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Agree with you on this.

In Gong Li Chuan (many perople train this form, even Chinwoo system train this form too), there is a very interested footwork. You jump up with your left leg, land with your right leg, and add another left "stealing step" at the end.

[...]

Once in a while, you will find something like this in TCMA. It may not be a popular move but it sure add some surprise in combat. I love to collect these kind of "abnormal" moves. It makes TCMA training with so much fun.
    Nothing abnormal there. That's just basic running attack footwork.

Most people don't translate form to application very well though.

I had to stop using it when sparring because it was too effective, and there was no point to keep overrunning people.
    Last edited by -N-; 11-23-2011 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    Most people don't translate form to application very well though.
    if i remember correctly, every step of form can be applied as a kick also??

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    if i remember correctly, every step of form can be applied as a kick also??
    Only if done as a kick/stomp.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Only if done as a kick/stomp.
    i was referring to mental paths... tweek the intention and you can substitute a "step" for a "kick"... forms are done the same, yet on a sob-conscious level you are simultaneously training a kick... no??

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    But the strategy is not based on doing impractical movements that make the other guy go, "wtf!!?1!".
    but wouldn't that be the sh!t... imagine the time frame you would have if you got your opponent to get to the point of "WTF".