View Poll Results: Which cheapens the reputation of martial arts more?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stage tricks like bending spears on the throat and blaming it on mystic qi power

8 36.36%
  • Those "extreme" competitions where people scream at the top of their lungs & use toothpick bo staffs

2 9.09%
  • That form sparring stuff where you get points for looking like your style, not for winning

6 27.27%
  • "too deadly for the ring" or instructors who are "too deadly to spar with their students"

6 27.27%
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Which of these cheapens the reputation of martial arts more?

Quote Originally Posted by RWilson View Post
    I am not backpedaling. Any winds blowing over 70 or so mph is classified as a hurricane. A low t-cell count is classified as HIV. The classifications are manmade and unimportant. The fact that they train more uncooperative than other schools makes them a more combat oriented style than say...too deadly to spar classical jujitsu.

Randori allows for smart spontaneous reactions which are very important for a fight. Doing push ups and visualizing multiple opponents while doing kata just does not compare. Kano invented it to make the bodies of Japanese people stronger because they were not getting enough exercise. The by product of such training is better reactions. Try thinking out of the box instead of reading textbook definitions.
    There you go...making the ridiculous assertions that you are always complaining about. Are you here just to complain about TCMA? Because that's what it sounds like. You are either lying or ignorant when you say judo has the most uncooperative opponents. Same with your weird reference to low T-Cells (I studied immunology briefly as an undergrad).

You are making sweeping generalizations. You have subscribed, seemingly with zeal, to every logical fallacy that has ever been documented. You lie and make things up to defend things under the pretense of asking a question, and you mock every other style except the one you like. You sir, have been placed on ignore. I'm not wasting another ounce of typing on you and your utterly ridiculous inability to accept anything but your own fantasy interpretation of the world.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    I think WC kicked it's own a$$ a long time ago with the internal politics that made them look stupid so now no one takes them seriously. might be off on that but I doubt.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

i do judo, its definately a sport, but can and does operate outside of the confines of its sport model. like most things, its all about your intention.

whats your goal? do you want to get the guy down and then follow him down for a fully controled body pin, choke or armbar? or do you want to drop the guy and follow him down, pass guard, get full mount and start to gnp until he chokes on his teeth? judo can get you to both of those, it just depends on how and why you are training.

arguably the choke and armbar/break can be a successful ending in a confrontation, under the right circumstances. but i'd wager you're always safer and more mobile over all if you are to pass guard and ko the guy.

it also HIGHLY depends on the judo club you're in.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Here is a question for you, Drake. You seem to be hung up on manmade classifications.

How do the martial arts, which are not classified as sport like many tcma, train you to fight better than a sport martial art.

How does long fist train you better for combat than judo or boxing?

How does northern mantis train you better than sport muay Thai for combat? Do you even know? What is the exact methodology the non-sport arts use?

but can and does operate outside of the confines of its sport model. like most things, its all about your intention.
    Agree, as with anything it can be taken out of the box. mma/JJ/Judo/wrestling/etc. My thoughts are if you are on the ground and have the stated backgrounds you have a better chance than the other guy.
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.

in terms of the longfist vs judo/boxing i think the main difference (provided you've found a school that trains traditional long fist and not just some modern wushu version of longfist) then longfist already incorporates throwing and striking into a comprehensive progressive study of fighting.

where as judo is missing the majority of the striking and boxing is missing not only the throws/takedown but also the legs. (not saying you need kicking at all, but it doesnt hurt)

i personally believe that at the end of the day, you're going to be better off if you have an understanding of striking and a wrestling in terms of personal self defense.

of course you can always just learn judo and boxing and be just as well off

i went to judo to really develop a throwing game and understanding. and more importantly...takedown defense
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

How does northern mantis train you better than sport muay Thai for combat? Do you even know? What is the exact methodology the non-sport arts use?
    you come across rough, but honestly that is a dam good question. not pointing at drake but overall it's a good question.

Quote Originally Posted by RWilson View Post
    And the guy who only does chi sao has spoken. It must suck to think you are learning the "most efficient style" and not be able to spar with it. Run back to the wc forum.

You sir, are a tool.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    you come across rough, but honestly that is a dam good question. not pointing at drake but overall it's a good question.
    Thank you for the compliment.

Drake is harping that judo is classified as a sport and was not meant for combat. Northern mantis was "meant" for combat. So the logical question is...how does the northern non sport mantis teach you REAL combat since it was meant for that? According to Drake judo teaches fake combat.

No name calling, Dale. Or I will have to bring up that your teacher John Biff Painter photoshopped himself into a picture to make it look like he studied with someone he did not. Or something. Lol. Did he use his Jedi mind tricks on you to keep studying with him after people found out about that? You have never provided a good response to this.

Sanjuro was right. He does have mind powers.

Sanjuro,

Should I find Ashida Kim and see if he has something to teach?

Unhappy

again with oral drek from cowards.

KFO has become a haven for cowards who do nothing but bad mouth people and hide.

Gene, this really paints a picture that this kind of behavior is acceptable here on KFO where it is unacceptable on other forums where people agree it is not wanted.

Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Should I seek out Dr Haha Lung wrote the book "mental dominance". He writes books on ninja mind control like Ashida Kim. Do I seek them out, even though they are definite frauds, or only seek out people YOU believe to be skilled and who might be frauds.

I agree with Dale. And besides... it is obviously MysteriousPowers back from the cyberdead...
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Who's to be the judge?
    ME of course

I see your point, but then everyone wants to be the judge. I chose #1. I thought about it a bit first, and decided that in my own opinion this is the biggest disgrace. When we see groups doing these on stage demonstrations, doing their parlor tricks to entice people to come and join them, it makes me wonder about a lot of things. Why do people even open a kwoon and teach gung fu? Because it benefits them financially of course. No one would take on the misery and aggrivation just to carry on the style or whatever. They would only do it for the bucks really. When these guys do these parlor tricks, it is to entice the public into paying them money to learn this fantastic skill. Only by the time you realize it is BS, they have already made off with a large amount of your bucks.

These same BS artists spread the fantasy of gung fu, and they are the ones to defame the whole idea of most all martial arts. As individuals they might have good gung fu, but just being good is not going to make them wealthy. It requires them to look like supermen, with fantastic skills far out and above the mere mortal. enough to make you want to spend large bucks to join them.
    What other people do, teaching without ever having to fight, such things as that, do not defame the arts. What does it matter? He can still most likely whip any average fighter if he has to. You don't have to prove it to teach it. Just know what the heck you are talking about.
    Jackie Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    again with oral drek from cowards.

KFO has become a haven for cowards who do nothing but bad mouth people and hide.

Gene, this really paints a picture that this kind of behavior is acceptable here on KFO where it is unacceptable on other forums where people agree it is not wanted.

Do not cop out, Dale. Explain Biff Painter's photoshop debacle. You ignore it because you know he screwed up trying to make up thobgs about his background. You cannot even defend him it was so bad.