Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Useless Wing Chun Techniques?

fighting

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    What did you mean ?
    fighting? i thought wong shun leung was a fighter? or did he chi sao people to death!

its kinda hard to tell by a chi sao clip if someone can fight, and i would never judge someone by there clips well, maybe grandmaster stephan tk chan's clips ha lol ( i dunno maybe he had a bad day)
    sincerly, eddie

Useless Wing Chun Techniques ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    Now see, this is exactly what has come to water down Wing Chun. Too many people bouncing around from kwoon to kwoon, teacher to teacher, never really learning the concepts and the why of it all, making their own little interpretations of what should and shouldn't be, cutting out or adding to it, then having the audacity to teach it for proper Wing Chun.
    I could ' nt agree with you more .

thanks for your insight...

the post was directed at a select few out there who have said in other post some techniques are outdated or for back in the olden days but dont apply to western fighters...

but none of them cared to comment i see!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    ----------------------------
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    RW-you are trolling all over the place.
    Troll- your ignorance is showing. It is a moving chi sao demo. Not rehearsed. Reflexive. You can't rehearse and repeat exactly the same things.Chi sao is for development- it is not fighting. That was a requested demo at a national multi style kung fu meet...in Florida
    When not doing it as demo- it helps you work on hand structure, body structure, balance, distance control, timing and quite a few other aspects of development. Different styles have different developmental tools...various kinds of chi sao, tui shao. pummelling etc.

joy chaudhuri
    If you are going to defend that Fong chi sau demo clip, at least you could be honest. It was a prerehearsed clip that was an almost identical copy to another clip of his. Would you prefer the term choreographed?

To each his own I guess, but not my cup of tea - I agree with RW when he says "This kind of training needs to be thrown out. Nothing is going on. It is a safe way to not get hit and to look good."
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Nothing is useless if you know how to use it.

Look beyond the technique. After a certain point, a punch is just a punch. A kick is just a kick.

single hand "fighting" is a developmental drill that helps you use more foot work I wouldn't say useless. It's just a drill

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    thanks for your insight...

the post was directed at a select few out there who have said in other post some techniques are outdated or for back in the olden days but dont apply to western fighters...

but none of them cared to comment i see!
    I don't see anything as useless, perhaps WC could use some ground fighting but lets not go there. WSL has the story where the guy ducked so he kneed him and knocked him out as his elders in the school bashed him for that you just stick to the theory and use the tools in your tool box. Fighters will always make certain types maneuvers and or mistakes there are only so many ways the human body moves thus there are only so many ways to punch kick grab or throw a person.

Sometimes you will deviate from this but as BJJ people have said the same moves have been proven for hundreds of years so WC hasn't? It's survived the test of time sure it gets bashed a lot but I think it's effective.....

elbows and knee's

[QUOTE=mjw;1146192]I don't see anything as useless, perhaps WC could use some ground fighting but lets not go there. WSL has the story where the guy ducked so he kneed him and knocked him out as his elders in the school bashed.

i agree, i will break the rules and bash someone in the head with an elbow or a knee, awesome natural weapons! nice to have as gross motor skills when fine motor skills go out the door in a self defense situation during adrenalin dump!

isn't that what biu gee is about? breaking the rules! but, breaking the rules because you couldn't help it. my personal interpetration of the biu gee form is the oh sh@$ handle of wing chun! i cant help it i am a car guy ha ha
    sincerly, eddie

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    If you are going to defend that Fong chi sau demo clip, at least you could be honest. It was a prerehearsed clip that was an almost identical copy to another clip of his. Would you prefer the term choreographed?

To each his own I guess, but not my cup of tea - I agree with RW when he says "This kind of training needs to be thrown out. Nothing is going on. It is a safe way to not get hit and to look good."
    The only thing in that clip that's in his other clips is the finishing move which is simply to entertain the crowd. The rest of the clip is not rehearsed. There's a little bit of feeding going on but that's only to keep the flow going, once again for the crowd. The clip shows most of the basic tenets of chi sao, which is a drill, and once again for a DEMO! Your eyes can't see what he is doing because you simply don't know what to look for, probably to no fault of your own. Everyone always thinks Fong Sifu is being rehearsed, even when he's just straight flowing, because it's so smooth in motion, but that's actually real skill you are seeing from a man who has the most impeccable timing and structure you'll ever have the privilege to experience. Just like everything else, if you can "see" power or explosiveness in someone's movements, it's because they're holding it in their body and either are not delivering all of it or their timing or structure is off. Hitting someone perfectly should be like punching a paper towel and should look the same too. There are very few who have that skill level consistently and Fong Sifu is one of them. You live in AZ, why don't you visit a class sometime, I recommend the Wednesday class or the last Friday of the Month...

Quote Originally Posted by WC1277 View Post
    The only thing in that clip that's in his other clips is the finishing move which is simply to entertain the crowd. The rest of the clip is not rehearsed. There's a little bit of feeding going on but that's only to keep the flow going, once again for the crowd. The clip shows most of the basic tenets of chi sao, which is a drill, and once again for a DEMO! Your eyes can't see what he is doing because you simply don't know what to look for, probably to no fault of your own. Everyone always thinks Fong Sifu is being rehearsed, even when he's just straight flowing, because it's so smooth in motion, but that's actually real skill you are seeing from a man who has the most impeccable timing and structure you'll ever have the privilege to experience. Just like everything else, if you can "see" power or explosiveness in someone's movements, it's because they're holding it in their body and either are not delivering all of it or their timing or structure is off. Hitting someone perfectly should be like punching a paper towel and should look the same too. There are very few who have that skill level consistently and Fong Sifu is one of them. You live in AZ, why don't you visit a class sometime, I recommend the Wednesday class or the last Friday of the Month...
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

True! Except for the finishing showmanship- a demonstration of timing, footwork, distance control-among other things.

3 basic wing chun seeds- tan, bong and fook...but the possible variations- permutations and combinations are MANY.

joy