Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The tough thing about teaching martial arts.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    In my opinion, Wing Chun techniques tend to work well for dealing with "surprises" from a standing position.
    And that's probably the single most important thing for self-defence, recovering very quickly from a surprise attack and turning the tables.

Boxing matches are the kind of fights you don't have to be in.

All I'm saying is that useful/useless depends on the purpose.

a) they never say that in class. It's always "here's how you deal with a punch."
    Well maybe you took a different class than I did. When they said that, did you ask them if the arm could get there other ways?
    Last edited by rett; 11-27-2011 at 12:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    the tough thing about teaching is trying to teach morality as a depraved souless american.
    Did you know that there just as many American people that are truly trying to promote CMA and teach quality old school kung fu as Chinese people here? Yes there some bad morally depraved Americans, but there are just as many good souls out there.

I would think the tough thing about teaching is not killing new students with qi blasts before they have developed their iron vest golden bell gong to be able to resist a level 1 fireball.

Being "too deadly to spar" has some disadvantages.

No wonder they don't allow internal arts in UFC.
    Come on IronFist, can everyone stop with the bashing of CMA. This stuff has been rehashed over and over again. Can't you haters ever realize that everyone is not a fake or a snake oil saleman type.

Lets take a balanced look at all of this, a Yin and Yang approach if you will. There will always be those individuals that get into that mystical stuff. There are an equal amount of TCMA practitioners out there don't care about that mystical stuff.

Every country in the world loves the fantastic and the supernatural. Years ago, these fantastical feats were done at carnivals / street shows etc etc. Everyone came to see that guy who could bend a bar of steel on his throat or break florescent light bulbs on their chests (see IronFist's clip).

Many join the Martial Arts to pursue these feats of majik. They soon find out that these are not supernatural feats, but just skills to learn. Iron Skills, Qi Gong and other feats are just skills you can learn at a TCMA school. I admit some of these are not quite as supernatural as they seam, like the bending a Spear on your throat. It is not so hard to teach this to anyone relativle quickly and it has nothing to do with Qi.

There a lot of TCMA practitioners that learn all the fighting skills and decide to go into the esoterical arts. There is nothing wrong with that, if you want to stand there like a tree holding a ball in front of your chest.... more power to you. However, you bashers just can't get enough of making fun of peeps.

One of the problems I see is that you bashers never get out of your computer chairs and go touch hands with any of these folks. Look at myself. I had a pretty good fighting career, however I have learned over 100 Forms from Northern Shaolin, Southern Hung Gar, Monkey, Tai Chi, Jing Wu, Eagle Claw, Tien Shan Pai forms just name a few. I also do Qi Gong and yes I stand and hold a ball.

Now I do not profess to be able to blast people with my Qi, but I practice none the less. Why is it that none of you ever come to my school and touch hands or challenge me. If you would go and see first hand what we do, you may change your opinion about us.

ginosifu

Quote Originally Posted by rett View Post
    And that's probably the single most important thing for self-defence, recovering very quickly from a surprise attack and turning the tables.

Boxing matches are the kind of fights you don't have to be in.

All I'm saying is that useful/useless depends on the purpose.
    So it's good for surprise attacks. What happens when it evolves into a fight? Hopefully you know how to fight fight, too.

Well maybe you took a different class than I did. When they said that, did you ask them if the arm could get there other ways?
    I was too young at the time to know that what we were being taught wasn't realistic.

I did, however, get "corrected" once during a free trial class of Krav Maga for NOT reaching out to block incoming punches ( ). Needless to say, I never went back. Also, the teacher was overweight, didn't spar with students, and told me "ground fighting is pointless. We prefer to rip the guy's arm off and beat him with it." It was a "count off the reps" class and give everyone a false sense of confidence at all these deadly moves you're learning type of place. I was totally let down because at the time I had just had to move for work and thus had to stop going to the MMA place I was training at, and where I moved to there was nothing but McDojos, and then I found this place, and I know KM has reputation for being "no nonsense" and "deadly" and whatever, so I called, talked to the instructor, asked specific instructions and was told how realistically they train, so I was really excited. And then I got there and it was just another McDojo with most of the McDojo cliches.

I asked him "why do you reach out to block the punch?" He goes "because that's how we do it here" ( )

Anytime I asked a question in my previous MMA class, I was given a specific, quantified answer (eg. we do it x way because of y and that's why it's better than doing it z way).

I also got corrected in the KM class for not holding my fists far away enough from my body in the "fighting stance"

"Isn't it going to be easy for my opponent to grab my arm if I keep it extended that much?" (hint: the answer is "yes")

I don't remember what his reply was, but I'm sure it was some nonsense. Probably something like "it takes longer to throw a punch if your hand is chambered by your head rather than 18" in front of your chest" or some other broscience like that.

There is also the issue of not wanting to be a d!ick and going to someone else's school and questioning everything they do. That's like bad MA manners. You don't go to a X style school and be like "well in Y style we do it this way and that's better so why do you guys do it this other way?" So I kinda did feel weird asking him. I didn't want to come off as a dbag. But at the same time, I knew after 30 minutes of this class that I wouldn't be coming back anyway so I didn't really care anymore.

Cliffs Notes:
    - Ask a McDojo teacher why they do McDojo techniques
    - Instructor makes it apparent he has no experience dealing with a resisting opponent (training or fighting)
    - You cannot change Koolaid drinkers' beliefs
    - Don't come back to school

I'm not saying all Krav Maga sucks. I'm saying the school I checked out sucked (as far as learning to become a competent fighter. I'm sure it was a good workout from a fitness perspective).
    Last edited by IronFist; 11-27-2011 at 12:19 PM.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    There a lot of TCMA practitioners that learn all the fighting skills and decide to go into the esoterical arts. There is nothing wrong with that, if you want to stand there like a tree holding a ball in front of your chest.... more power to you. However, you bashers just can't get enough of making fun of peeps.
    Standing qigong may have health benefits.

My only issue is with people who claims it's giving them a protective shield of qi or whatever.

Qi may be a legit health thing (even though it hasn't been quantified by Western science yet). But what it is NOT is a magic protective shield of energy that protects you from strikes.

The nonsense involved in all these iron body demos (the ones that blame it on qi despite the fact that it's a conditioned guy flexing all his muscles and being struck at physically advantageous points of leverage) is equivalent to a guy with strep throat taking antibiotics and doing qigong and then saying qigong cured his strep throat.

One of the problems I see is that you bashers never get out of your computer chairs and go touch hands with any of these folks. Look at myself. I had a pretty good fighting career, however I have learned over 100 Forms from Northern Shaolin, Southern Hung Gar, Monkey, Tai Chi, Jing Wu, Eagle Claw, Tien Shan Pai forms just name a few. I also do Qi Gong and yes I stand and hold a ball.
    Ok

I've trained with plenty of local guys. I don't really care about spending the money to travel to visit people on an internet forum.

The only TCMA guys I've met who can fight (and I have met a few) are the ones who incorporate San Shou/MMA/groundfighting into their mix.

Now I do not profess to be able to blast people with my Qi, but I practice none the less. Why is it that none of you ever come to my school and touch hands or challenge me. If you would go and see first hand what we do, you may change your opinion about us.
    Isn't the onus of proof on the qigong guys? Why don't they compete in open style tournaments to prove their stuff works? And think of the repercussions of a victory: Glory and honor to the school/style. A change in MA paradigm. Tons of interested students. School expansion. They'd become an ambassador for the art the same way the Gracies did when they stepped up and proved that their style worked.

That's how you do it. Fighting a random person on the internet wouldn't do anything anyway. You beat them. So what? Anyone can win on any given day. I even got a black eye from a 15 year old once. Then again, I never claimed to be a good fighter. In fact, I openly admit I suck in almost every thread I post in. Especially now, since I a) haven't trained in years and b) have been in physical therapy for 5 of the last 7 months

But seriously, I would be first in line to sign up at the school of whatever qigong art won UFC.

There's also the challenge of teaching things that while you don't directly use them in a fight, they do make you a better fighter. How do you get that message across? Of course the stance is ridiculosuly lower than how it'd be in a fight, and of course you aren't going to even be in that position for more than a split second... so why hold it there for so long?
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    There's also the challenge of teaching things that while you don't directly use them in a fight, they do make you a better fighter. How do you get that message across? Of course the stance is ridiculosuly lower than how it'd be in a fight, and of course you aren't going to even be in that position for more than a split second... so why hold it there for so long?
    Low stance training and holding stances and that stuff really has no purpose in training.

Let's look at why:

- holding a low horse stance builds muscular endurance in that particular position; a position which is not used in fighting

- holding a low horse stance builds a slight amount of strength for someone who is a noob as their muscles adapt to the increased load. However, the strength gains will quickly plateau, even if you increase the time for which you hold the stance. In other words, if you can hold a horse stance for 5 minutes and then you increase it to 20 minutes, your muscles did not adapt to be able to generate more tension and you did not increase your strength or maximal power generation. As stated in the first point, all you did was increase your endurance for a static contraction at a specific angle; an angle which does not occur in fighting. Indeed, the only way this would be beneficial would be if the goal of fighting was to hold a low horse stance for a long period of time

A better way to train is to look at factors that are necessary for fighting: strength and cardiovascular endurance (specifically in short bursts that are near the anaerobic threshold).

So one should do leg exercises that develop strength throughout a range of motion so you can generate more power for stronger kicks, or for better leverage in ground fighting, etc. Barbell squats are king for this. Increasing the weight lifted over time results in increases in strength. This is how the body and nervous system works. Increasing your time at a specific weight (such as holding horse stance for long periods of time) does NOT increase maximal strength. Increasing the weight DOES increase strength. This is basic physiology although I'm sure it will draw "but my sifu/ninja master/secret Asian dude I learned from says..." Please put down the Kool-Aid for a moment and pick up a basic physiology textbook.

One should also train for the type of cardio endurance needed in fighting; short round burst type stuff at a high intensity. Distance running is not a good choice. In fact, people have found that, for example, if they can run 5 miles but they are still getting tired in their sparring/fighting, that if they increase it so they can run 10 miles, they still get tired during training. Distance running is low output cardio and is not representative of fighting. Better choices for fighting are things like kettlebells, tabata interval sprints, or training rounds at high intensity.

Another way to look at all of this is to remember SAID (specific adaptations to imposed demands). In other words, you get better at doing things you do. So if you do horse stance all day, you will get better at doing horse stance. But being able to hold a low horse stance for hours does not translate into any advantage in fighting because all it does is cause your body to get better at sustained muscular contraction at a specific angle without benefiting cardio endurance or muscle output (raw strength potential).

I guess holding a low horse stance can build mental fortitude or show dedication or something, but as far as improving one's fighting ability, it's useless.

Posts like these usually draw tons of flames because it's a bunch of science thrown in the face of traditional guru instruction.

This is probably the most important post you will read on this forum this year.

How to condition yourself to become a better fighter:
    - develop raw strength (squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press, weighted pullups, following a program that increases the weight used over time)
    - develop endurance in a way that is similar to what the body experiences during fighting (kettlebells, tabata intervals, fighting rounds, jump rope)

Don't waste your time with any of the following:
    - low stance training for time
    - distance running

Finally, if low stance training was of any benefit to anything, then you would see professional athletes do it. People who make their living and support their families through their athletic performance have access to the best training techniques out of necessity (they also have access to the best drugs, but that's another topic). Want to be a fighter? Look at how professional fighters train. Want to be a weight lifter? Look at how professional weight lifters train (not that I'm advocating copying their lifestyle, but that's also another topic). Want to be an awesome gymnast? Look at how Olympic gymnasts train (hint: they lift weights). None of these people do stance training for long times because there's no benefit from it for anything other than being able to hold a low stance for a longer period of time*.

*the one exception being beginners who will get a little strength gain from it because their muscles are going from sedentary lifestyle to having this new movement imposed upon them. But as stated earlier, the strength gains are minimal and plateau quickly. It's analogous to how a noob who can only do 1 pushup trains to be able to do 10 pushups and his max bench press will increase a bit due to initial central nervous system adaptation. If he increases to 20 or 30 pushups it may go up a bit more. But if he goes up to 100 pushups it's not going to increase proportionally anymore because he's no longer developing strength because the load (resistance) is not increasing and therefore the CNS has no reason to adapt by increasing strength. This is the reason why powerlifters don't train by doing pushups (or anything else) for high reps. Powerlifters want to be able to lift as much weight as possible so their training represents that.

Fighters need high muscular output (so they have enough strength to make their techniques work) and high output cardio endurance (so they don't get tired halfway through the fight), and their training should represent that. Anything else is counterproductive at worst and a waste of time at best.

This post should be stickied in its own thread.
    Last edited by IronFist; 11-27-2011 at 01:09 PM.

Blog Entries
    Low stance training and holding stances and that stuff really has no purpose in training.
    You can't look at TCMA just from a "striker" point of view. To be able to use a proper low horse stance is the basic requirement to apply:

- hip throw,
    - shoulder throw,
    - embracing throw,
    - firemen's carry,

http://www.judoinfo.com/images/anima...lue/ogoshi.htm

http://www.judoinfo.com/images/anima...teseoinage.htm

http://www.judoinfo.com/images/anima...ue/uranage.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILb0c69v3rM
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-27-2011 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    You can't look at TCMA just from a "striker" point of view. To be able to use a proper low horse stance is the basic requirement to apply:

- hip throw,
    - shoulder throw,
    - firemen's carry,
    - embracing throw,

http://www.judoinfo.com/images/anima...lue/ogoshi.htm

http://www.judoinfo.com/images/anima...teseoinage.htm

http://www.judoinfo.com/images/anima...ue/uranage.htm
    Nonsense. The benefit gained from low stance training (the ability to hold a stance for longer period of times at that specific angle) doesn't really come into play in a throw that lasts half a second.

In other words, a guy who can squat 300 pounds is going to be better equipped to do any of those things you mentioned than someone who can hold a low horse stance for an hour. As an added benefit, the weight of the opponent won't seem like much to someone who's used to squatting/deadlifting more than his opponent weighs. Remember, his muscles are used to dealing with extra weight and they are used to contracting efficiently and moving under added weight.

A horse stance guy is used to supporting his own body weight for long periods of time in a static position; that's basically the opposite of throwing someone.
    Last edited by IronFist; 11-27-2011 at 01:15 PM.

Blog Entries
    Nonsense. The benefit gained from low stance training (the ability to hold a stance for longer period of times at that specific angle) doesn't really come into play in a throw that lasts half a second.
    In wrestling, your legs will get tired first. Whoever has strong legs will have chance to win. You wil not just throw once. You have to keep trying over and over until you succeed. If you have faith in "strength", you should also have faith in "endurance".

- distance running.
    To be able to out run fat cops is always a good thing.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-27-2011 at 01:22 PM.

Like I said... it's difficult to impart this stuff and its importance. And distance running is important. But it's important to mix that and wind sprints, ****lek runs, last man up drills, and relays.

It feels like the pendulum has swung wildly to the other side, and now we're still lopsided, but on the other side..
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

Like I said... it's difficult to impart this stuff and its importance. And distance running is important. But it's important to mix that and wind sprints, ****lek runs, last man up drills, and relays.

It feels like the pendulum has swung wildly to the other side, and now we're still lopsided, but on the other side..
    Which is why I lift heavy, run sprints, run long distances, and train in martial arts. People in the martial arts have this strange idea, that contemporary strength and conditioning will make you slow and stiff, a base less myth.

BTW, I still practice qigong, and meditation as well; it's still important but not everything. Plus modern strength coaches like Jason Ferruggia recommend meditation to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Fa Xing View Post
    Which is why I lift heavy, run sprints, run long distances, and train in martial arts. People in the martial arts have this strange idea, that contemporary strength and conditioning will make you slow and stiff, a base less myth.

BTW, I still practice qigong, and meditation as well; it's still important but not everything. Plus modern strength coaches like Jason Ferruggia recommend meditation to everyone.
    Exactly. If you only do one form of whatever, your training will be lopsided. If you just do forms, you'll be lopsided... if you just do sprints, lopsided...

It's all about balancing your training for an overall effect.

I lift a lot of weights too, and it has dramatically affected my speed and strike penetration. TCMA has that, but nobody can run a school in the US if they spend three quarters of their time making people do what they had to do back then, just to be allowed to train. Strength and endurance is very important, and I think that the point was is that you had to be strong and capable of long bouts of rough training before you even thought about starting. Why start someone training if they only last 5 minutes before they're exhausted and out of strength?
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

Let's look at why:

- holding a low horse stance builds muscular endurance in that particular position; a position which is not used in fighting

- holding a low horse stance builds a slight amount of strength for someone who is a noob as their muscles adapt to the increased load. However, the strength gains will quickly plateau, even if you increase the time for which you hold the stance. In other words, if you can hold a horse stance for 5 minutes and then you increase it to 20 minutes, your muscles did not adapt to be able to generate more tension and you did not increase your strength or maximal power generation. As stated in the first point, all you did was increase your endurance for a static contraction at a specific angle; an angle which does not occur in fighting. Indeed, the only way this would be beneficial would be if the goal of fighting was to hold a low horse stance for a long period of time

A better way to train is to look at factors that are necessary for fighting: strength and cardiovascular endurance (specifically in short bursts that are near the anaerobic threshold).

So one should do leg exercises that develop strength throughout a range of motion so you can generate more power for stronger kicks, or for better leverage in ground fighting, etc. Barbell squats are king for this. Increasing the weight lifted over time results in increases in strength. This is how the body and nervous system works. Increasing your time at a specific weight (such as holding horse stance for long periods of time) does NOT increase maximal strength. Increasing the weight DOES increase strength. This is basic physiology although I'm sure it will draw "but my sifu/ninja master/secret Asian dude I learned from says..." Please put down the Kool-Aid for a moment and pick up a basic physiology textbook.

One should also train for the type of cardio endurance needed in fighting; short round burst type stuff at a high intensity. Distance running is not a good choice. In fact, people have found that, for example, if they can run 5 miles but they are still getting tired in their sparring/fighting, that if they increase it so they can run 10 miles, they still get tired during training. Distance running is low output cardio and is not representative of fighting. Better choices for fighting are things like kettlebells, tabata interval sprints, or training rounds at high intensity.

Another way to look at all of this is to remember SAID (specific adaptations to imposed demands). In other words, you get better at doing things you do. So if you do horse stance all day, you will get better at doing horse stance. But being able to hold a low horse stance for hours does not translate into any advantage in fighting because all it does is cause your body to get better at sustained muscular contraction at a specific angle without benefiting cardio endurance or muscle output (raw strength potential).

I guess holding a low horse stance can build mental fortitude or show dedication or something, but as far as improving one's fighting ability, it's useless.

Posts like these usually draw tons of flames because it's a bunch of science thrown in the face of traditional guru instruction.

This is probably the most important post you will read on this forum this year.

How to condition yourself to become a better fighter:
    - develop raw strength (squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press, weighted pullups, following a program that increases the weight used over time)
    - develop endurance in a way that is similar to what the body experiences during fighting (kettlebells, tabata intervals, fighting rounds, jump rope)

- low stance training for time
    - distance running

Finally, if low stance training was of any benefit to anything, then you would see professional athletes do it. People who make their living and support their families through their athletic performance have access to the best training techniques out of necessity (they also have access to the best drugs, but that's another topic). Want to be a fighter? Look at how professional fighters train. Want to be a weight lifter? Look at how professional weight lifters train (not that I'm advocating copying their lifestyle, but that's also another topic). Want to be an awesome gymnast? Look at how Olympic gymnasts train (hint: they lift weights). None of these people do stance training for long times because there's no benefit from it for anything other than being able to hold a low stance for a longer period of time*.

*the one exception being beginners who will get a little strength gain from it because their muscles are going from sedentary lifestyle to having this new movement imposed upon them. But as stated earlier, the strength gains are minimal and plateau quickly. It's analogous to how a noob who can only do 1 pushup trains to be able to do 10 pushups and his max bench press will increase a bit due to initial central nervous system adaptation. If he increases to 20 or 30 pushups it may go up a bit more. But if he goes up to 100 pushups it's not going to increase proportionally anymore because he's no longer developing strength because the load (resistance) is not increasing and therefore the CNS has no reason to adapt by increasing strength. This is the reason why powerlifters don't train by doing pushups (or anything else) for high reps. Powerlifters want to be able to lift as much weight as possible so their training represents that.

Fighters need high muscular output (so they have enough strength to make their techniques work) and high output cardio endurance (so they don't get tired halfway through the fight), and their training should represent that. Anything else is counterproductive at worst and a waste of time at best.

This post should be stickied in its own thread.

Gymnasts lift weights and distance running should be avoided? You're fucking kidding me right?

Your post should be stickied, but not for the reason you're thinking.

If only what is useful has value, then what value is it to spend all this time and effort trying to save kung fu from its obstinate self?

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Gymnasts lift weights and distance running should be avoided? You're fucking kidding me right?
    All upper echelon gymnasts lift weights as part of their strength training. I'm not sure why most people don't want to believe this. Just look at their bodies: you don't get development like that without progressive resistance training.

To suggest otherwise would be to rewrite the laws of physiology.

I'm not saying they ONLY do strength training. Obviously gymnastics has a lot of sport-specific stuff that you can only develop through gymnastics training.

Distance running really doesn't do much to improve any aspect of fighting. The energy systems being taxed aren't the same ones that come into play in a fight, whether ring fighting or real fighting.

If you want to improve your endurance for fighting, kettlebells, tabata type interval training, jump rope, and actually doing rounds of sparring is the way to go.

Exactly. If you only do one form of whatever, your training will be lopsided. If you just do forms, you'll be lopsided... if you just do sprints, lopsided...

It's all about balancing your training for an overall effect.

I lift a lot of weights too, and it has dramatically affected my speed and strike penetration. TCMA has that, but nobody can run a school in the US if they spend three quarters of their time making people do what they had to do back then, just to be allowed to train. Strength and endurance is very important, and I think that the point was is that you had to be strong and capable of long bouts of rough training before you even thought about starting. Why start someone training if they only last 5 minutes before they're exhausted and out of strength?
    You bring up a good point. A lot of people who take martial arts classes want the "karate kid experience." They want to do old school traditional exercises because they think it's cool. They want their instructor to teach them secret ancient exercises that no one else knows about. Holding a horse stance in class for 10 minutes makes them feel awesome. It's not helping their fighting ability at all, but it's the experience of doing so that they enjoy.