Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your solution if you are a striker?

Blog Entries

What's your solution if you are a striker?

You teach class in the park in front of your students. Someone challenges you. You accept the challenge. If you are a

- "grappler", you take your opponent down and force him to tap out. You both get back up, shake hands and leave. Nobody gets hurt.
    - "striker", you punch on your opponent's face and knock him down. Either he comes back with a gun and shot you, or his lawyer will call you next day.

If you are a "striker", what will be your best solution to hander a "public challenger"?

When I was doing kyokushin and even TKD, we we got the occasional walk in that wanted to test us/himself and we always obliged.
    In boxing you get in the ring and get ko'd and guess what, YOU got in the ring KNOWING what will happen and NO COURT in the land will see otherwise.
    Of the "tests" I have seen and been a part of in striking arts, I only recall a few that ended up in Ko's, most were easily handled without having to hurt anyone too badly.
    There really isn't much legal recourse for the person COMING into a MA gym and "challenging" anyone.
    As for them coming back with a "vengeance".
    Never seen it happen.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I despise wing chun but Gary Lam did the right thing here. A guy slipped a slap on Gary while holding hands(chi sao) and Gary proceeded to show him who was boss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBtnV...E66153D3A16663

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    You teach class in the park in front of your students. Someone challenges you. You accept the challenge. If you are a

- "grappler", you take your opponent down and force him to tap out. You both get back up, shake hands and leave. Nobody gets hurt.
    - "striker", you punch on your opponent's face and knock him down. Either he comes back with a gun and shot you, or his lawyer will call you next day.

If you are a "striker", what will be your best solution to hander a "public challenger"?
    Tell him to get lost or sign up and pay.
    Nobody wants to waste time with ass wipes.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I've seen a few clips of walk-ins resulting in a nasty beat down.

Sometimes this goes the wrong way, and there are consequences. See the clip below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4GEB7lhKBA
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by RWilson View Post
    I despise wing chun but Gary Lam did the right thing here. A guy slipped a slap on Gary while holding hands(chi sao) and Gary proceeded to show him who was boss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBtnV...E66153D3A16663
    Yep, and no need to KO or demolish people.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    I've seen a few clips of walk-ins resulting in a nasty beat down.

Sometimes this goes the wrong way, and there are consequences. See the clip below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4GEB7lhKBA
    That was a homeless dude they lured into their club and proceeded to beat unconscious. In my opinion, everyone involved in that is an idiot. All the way down the line from the guy who did it to the guy who took it to the guy who directed it to the people who watched it. Each a remarkably stupid individual through and through.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Greetings,

This is easy. Just say:

"That kind of silliness in done only in the movies, man. We usually call the police when people like that show up. Now, should we call the police for ya?"

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

This is easy. Just say:

"That kind of silliness in done only in the movies, man. We usually call the police when people like that show up. Now, should we call the police for ya?"

mickey
    And then KO them and teabag them without mercy !!!

They usually start out by telling you how much they know and trying to get validation.

Just humor them like here on the forums and they go away happy.

Sanjuro ronin,

That imagery was hilarious!

Another way is to simply state that you do not accept challenges. If you have students who compete you can mention offer to notify him of the next tournament they attend if he leaves contact info. Tell him the advantage of exposure to a wide range of experiences by going this route.

mickey

Blog Entries
    You guys forget the best solution here.

Ask the challenge to fight against all your 20 students before he can reach you.

Pull out Street Fighter 2. Best 2 out of 3 wins.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

You guys forget the best solution here.

Ask the challenge to fight against all your 20 students before he can reach you.
    Have injury wavers written up by a attourney (These will state that the person signing is the aggressor and is wanting to challenge you, keep these with you at all times). Tell the challenger to sign a death warrent (injury wavors) in case he is killed before you two can have your match.

This way he will back down and say "No way, I ain't signing no Death Warrant", and you don't lose any face as well.

ginosifu

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Pull out Street Fighter 2. Best 2 out of 3 wins.
    LOL good one.... I like Street Fighter 1 the best though.

ginosifu