Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What's your solution if you are a striker?

Back home in Atlanta, GA, USA, after living in Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    You teach class in the park in front of your students. Someone challenges you. You accept the challenge. If you are a

- "grappler", you take your opponent down and force him to tap out. You both get back up, shake hands and leave. Nobody gets hurt.
    - "striker", you punch on your opponent's face and knock him down. Either he comes back with a gun and shot you, or his lawyer will call you next day.

If you are a "striker", what will be your best solution to hander a "public challenger"?
    Live to fight another day.

However...I will be sure that the moron who challenged me learned his life lesson in other ways.
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

http://www.pathsatlanta.org

I've taugh in public parks for years and never once had a problem
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Back home in Atlanta, GA, USA, after living in Singapore
    Oh now that is just purely nonsense!
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

http://www.pathsatlanta.org

Well, if he is a striker and you are a BBJ guy or judo guy or wrestler you have a problem. You can tell him you don't do striking arts and see if he wants to wrestle with you.

I remember Gracie fighting Shamrock in the last UFC Gracie was in, I think Shamrock caught him with a good punch to the face that caused some serious damage.

If you can get him on on the ground before he plants a good one on you, go for it.
    If there is more than one guy, you better run, or get some help.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    So there we go. Attention. I have not taught a lot of people, but I have trained at least 5 people outside my immediate family. I charged a huge sum of money, and it was private. No one watching, no guests. A Park would not allow me to teach on a schedule of my own, but by the schedule set by nature. Cold, heat, rain, sleet, snow, whatever, would limit me. Not to mention the onlookers and skeptics that I did not need to deal with. And there would always be distractions. I would teach 5 to 6 days a week, 2 to 4 hours a day. I was paid to teach the system, not just have them train at something daily. Again, I charged a huge sum of money. When they showed up the first day, I would require 1500 bucks. If they missed a day or was regularly late, hell would be raised and possibly they would be sent packing. So, I got 3 months up front in advance. That would give them incentive to be prompt. I would require them to bring me 1500 bucks every 3 months. That kept them prompt. If they quite, my time would not have been wasted. A city park would have been dim mak for that.
    $500 bucks a month per student... for reals? Three months paid cash in advance! You tha man!!! My old Sifu used to get money like that out of me too... till I ran out. I've never been able to charge squat. Then, I'm not a master. But even if I were, I don't think I could pull it off. And the ironic thing is, that by charging a bundle, I'll bet you made your students value their training more and work harder at it. That's a good thing. (BTW, I'm being serious here).
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Well, if he is a striker and you are a BBJ guy or judo guy or wrestler you have a problem. You can tell him you don't do striking arts and see if he wants to wrestle with you.

I remember Gracie fighting Shamrock in the last UFC Gracie was in, I think Shamrock caught him with a good punch to the face that caused some serious damage.

If you can get him on on the ground before he plants a good one on you, go for it.
    If there is more than one guy, you better run, or get some help.
    hey the 80's called and wants its thread back if thats ok with you

i remember all those early UFCs where the Gracies closed the gap easily and commenced beat down on all those poor strikers strange how you seem to have forgotten those ones

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    hey the 80's called and wants its thread back if thats ok with you

i remember all those early UFCs where the Gracies closed the gap easily and commenced beat down on all those poor strikers strange how you seem to have forgotten those ones
    Ya, I remember, but that was not a park, there are no gloves or set rules here.

When you stick your head in there first, you are taking a chance , no rules to protect you at the park, the guy has no gloves, your head and neck and eyes, temple, ears, etc. are in high risk territory.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Ya, I remember, but that was not a park, there are no gloves or set rules here.

When you stick your head in there first, you are taking a chance , no rules to protect you at the park, the guy has no gloves, your head and neck and eyes, temple, ears, etc. are in high risk territory.
    sure they are i mean we dont have 80 years or so of vale tudo events without gloves to show you are wrong about this......oh wait we do

as for sticking your head in there first, well there are normally a few signs in someones writing that screams no eactual expereince with grappling...that phrase is one of them

Blog Entries
    When a "high level internal" TCMA guy argues against a MMA guy, the rest of our "low level external" TCMA guys can just put our legs up on a chair, open a cane of beer, and enjoy the upcoming good discussion.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-27-2011 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    When a "high level internal" TCMA guy argues against a MMA guy, the rest of our "low level external" TCMA guys can just put our legs up on a chair, open a cane of beer, and enjoy the upcoming good discussion.
    This made me giggle.

I've trained in a park since about 90, never had any issues, quiet a few visitors, all very polite and friendly. Few transient students who are passing through and train for 5-6 months...lots with other training.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

I seem to remember Gracie taking a good 2 or 3 hits in many instance, crossing in for the takedown, before he wrapped them up and finished them off. He's a hard man.

My universal experience is that wrestlers don't like getting hit, its why the picked wrestling. MMA guys, well, different story, but plain old wrestlers, they get surprised like early sparring days, taking a lick.

fwiw.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    as for sticking your head in there first, well there are normally a few signs in someones writing that screams no eactual expereince with grappling...that phrase is one of them
    For street fighting, taking someone to the ground is a real danger. There's only a couple safe assumptions to make in combat. The guy has a weapon and friends is the first.

To prevent you from turning it back onto me- yes I did grappling. I did folk style wrestling for around 14 years, freestyle for 1 year, and jiu jitsu for about 6 months during all of it. Now I only use this experience to understand grappler initiation such as single/double leg/hip throw/ and other setups that are easy to stop if you train drilling against them. If you've been around low-key street fights you'd probably be inclined to think take downs/grappling on the ground is the norm. If you've lived in an impoverished area, you'd realize that real fights aren't as fair as MMA rules.

I see most wrestlers winning UFC/MMA because they know how to transition from standing to ground better than most jiujitsu guys in game. What RobinHood said does stand. I've seen knockouts from knees to the head during a take down in fights. Of course it's not easy to perform, that's why people train it. Youtube Gives us a textbook example with a Gracie

Also I agree with all the people who mentioned that it is very vague or misleading to assume people only strike without knowing at least some grappling/take down/etc even if their primary is striking. I stopped grappling because I realized the habits I developed in wrapping up my limbs with 1 other was counter-productive in combat.

In any case, putting your head in vulnerable range is very dangerous. This is why wrestlers take up striking before entering MMA, this is why there are such things as setups before takedowns, to prevent head/face/neck injury when your head moves first. Again, in combat, it's not smart to ever wrap up your arms or legs with 1 person in case he has a knife or friends with large boots.

Added from editing:

To respond to the original question, if it were only a striker training in a park- who would it be? A pure boxer? If it were, I don't think people would be overly inclined to challenge him. On another side, I should probably assume it is a TCMArtist you are talking about. In this case- doesn't their school practice take downs? I will assume they do practice at least take downs as most I have seen do (I know I haven't seen them all ) and that you may be referring to a Stand-up Stylist vs. a Ground fighting stylist instead?
    Last edited by Matthew; 11-27-2011 at 05:37 PM. Reason: added end bit

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    I seem to remember Gracie taking a good 2 or 3 hits in many instance, crossing in for the takedown, before he wrapped them up and finished them off. He's a hard man.

My universal experience is that wrestlers don't like getting hit, its why the picked wrestling. MMA guys, well, different story, but plain old wrestlers, they get surprised like early sparring days, taking a lick.

fwiw.
    really in the first 3 UFCs i cant remember him ever being troubled by a hit, care to post the clip of it because i am probably misremembering

my expereince is different wrestlers are used to taking a lot more hits than most TCMA guys, especially those playing tag in sparring, they are used to getting thrown hard, croseefaced hard, slammed hard, and tend to shake of most hits, this is also true of the early wrestlers in MMA, Kerr etc

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    For street fighting, taking someone to the ground is a real danger. There's only a couple safe assumptions to make in combat. The guy has a weapon and friends is the first.

To prevent you from turning it back onto me- yes I did grappling. I did folk style wrestling for around 14 years, freestyle for 1 year, and jiu jitsu for about 6 months during all of it. Now I only use this experience to understand grappler initiation such as single/double leg/hip throw/ and other setups that are easy to stop if you train drilling against them. If you've been around low-key street fights you'd probably be inclined to think take downs/grappling on the ground is the norm. If you've lived in an impoverished area, you'd realize that real fights aren't as fair as MMA rules.

I see most wrestlers winning UFC/MMA because they know how to transition from standing to ground better than most jiujitsu guys in game. What RobinHood said does stand. I've seen knockouts from knees to the head during a take down in fights. Of course it's not easy to perform, that's why people train it. Youtube Gives us a textbook example with a Gracie

Also I agree with all the people who mentioned that it is very vague or misleading to assume people only strike without knowing at least some grappling/take down/etc even if their primary is striking. I stopped grappling because I realized the habits I developed in wrapping up my limbs with 1 other was counter-productive in combat.

In any case, putting your head in vulnerable range is very dangerous. This is why wrestlers take up striking before entering MMA, this is why there are such things as setups before takedowns, to prevent head/face/neck injury when your head moves first. Again, in combat, it's not smart to ever wrap up your arms or legs with 1 person in case he has a knife or friends with large boots.

Added from editing:

To respond to the original question, if it were only a striker training in a park- who would it be? A pure boxer? If it were, I don't think people would be overly inclined to challenge him. On another side, I should probably assume it is a TCMArtist you are talking about. In this case- doesn't their school practice take downs? I will assume they do practice at least take downs as most I have seen do (I know I haven't seen them all ) and that you may be referring to a Stand-up Stylist vs. a Ground fighting stylist instead?
    ill still try and turn it back on you if you dont mind, because ive never heard a grappler with any expereince say single/double and throws are easy to stop if you drill against them, if they were you wouldnt see so many takedowns and throws in MMA and wrestling

as for the whole weapons/freinds arguements havent these been done to death by now? to cut it short who says im not the one pulling the knife and sticking it in you as im mounted on you or its my friends kicking you in the head as i hold you down

finally why does everyone assume grappling means im going to go to the floor with you, i can just pick you up and slam you on your head, through a wall or simply tie your arms up standing and headbutt you into submission