Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: grappling as your only training? not always the best idea

grappling as your only training? not always the best idea

Ok I for one am all for cross training in grappling and anti grappling. People on a certain other forum i'm sure we all know which one constantly hates on styles outside of the ones trained in MMA. I'm not saying they're right or wrong but look at this video and answer if you think you need a primary striking system for self defense instead of just doing grappling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00g5a416rdU

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    I'm a big advocate of grappling and honestly I will say, that if you are doing just one thing and not training all the zones of fighting then yes things like this happen. But then again, sometimes you can not stop this kind of thing. Blind sided and taken down and someone kicks you in the face. Not much that TCMA can give you that would help IMO...

If you want to improve your chances in encounters like this. Train all levels of fighting not just grappling and not just stand up. Train grappling/clinch/standup in tandum.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

dont know this guy seems to do ok with just grappling
    and to be honest id rather get hit with a punch than the suplex he hits at 0.17

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie1GGP3-eTE

the scariest guys i have ever seen fight have all been grapplers, (well apart from the rugby guys i have seen get into fights but hey that is grappling lol), something about the ablity to man handle your opponent and throw him around in just plain scary

one of my mates who is mainly a grappler suplexed a guy unconcious in a fight, then when he came round choked him back asleep, no punches thrown

Blog Entries
    Many years ago, a striker challenged a grappler. The grappler went to his teacher and asked for suggestion. "I don't know striking. What should I do?" The teacher said, "Can you take it?" During the challenge day. The striker delievered a powerful roundhouse kick at the grappler's chest area. The grappler caught it with his arm. It almst broke his arm. The grappler bited on his lips, accepted the pain, and took his opponent down to the ground. The fight then finished right there.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-27-2011 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Many years ago, a striker challenged a grappler. The grappler went to his teacher and asked for suggestion. "I don't know striking. What should I do?" The teacher said, "Can you take it?" During the challenge day. The striker delievered a powerful roundhouse kick at the grappler's chest area. The grappler cuaght it with his arm. It almst broke his arm. The grappler bited on his lips, accepted the pain, and took his opponent down to the ground. The fight then finished right there.
    I guess that guy in the video couldn't take it on the chin, that is why a striker needs to be able to pick the targets that are weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I guess that guy in the video couldn't take it on the chin, that is why a striker needs to be able to pick the targets that are weak.
    sure good luck with that

I guess the real point I was trying to get at is the danger of just doing a style like bjj and the fact that it can be dangerous with people around to try and grapple someone. Personally even if I trained in grappling, if it was in the street like that, I would still try and get up as fast as possible. I think you have to pick and choose and ground fighting to me seems like it's not the best way to defend yourself with others around. That's why I think striking is a necessity. I think 1 on 1 sure bjj could be great in most situations, but how often do people get into fights as adults without others being there to help instigate or pull you off their friend, attack you etc.. when he starts losing.

a few points, take them for what they are worth (not alot lol)
    Grappling is not just BJJ its also wrestling, judo etc ie arts that like to throw you on your head, if you are facing multipul opponents grabbing one using him as a shield and then launching him on his head might be a good idea and might be something that makes the others in the group go ouch i dont want a piece of that as they see their mate in a heap on the floor

secondly a grappler doesnt have to spend time on the floor, he might use his skills to put you down and stomp on your head whilst keeping an eye on your mates

finally good luck standing up against a determined attacker without real grappling training

in that guys defense, he thot his back was covered. as the only other homie there was on his side. he just didnt think about loco mom power.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

So I guess being on the bottom isn't so bad, LOL !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

depends on how much she weighs...
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    depends on how much she weighs...
    Since when have YOU been picky?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

LOL!!!!!!!!!!

yes i agree that grappling isnt just bjj. I was referring to someone in a situation where others are involved to try and finish the fight with your opponent with both of you on the ground. Even if I took Judo which is very useful, if my goal was to learn self defense I think at least basic boxing skills is a necessity. I mean actually learning some striking somewhere and not just someone who self educates, like all the video learned masters that keep making martial arts look bad these days.

grappling

i think grappling is great, would love to learn more, just not on the street. man, she cold clocked him lol
    sincerly, eddie