Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: grappling as your only training? not always the best idea

Captain Obvious! Striking as your only option isn't fantastic either.

Cross training is essential. Anti-grappling is the stupidest thing in the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkLTxwATgbs

Quote Originally Posted by Chadderz View Post

Cross training is essential. Anti-grappling is the stupidest thing in the world.

umm where the h*ll was antigrappling mentioned in this thread

Quote Originally Posted by shaolin_allan View Post
    Ok I for one am all for cross training in grappling and anti grappling. People on a certain other forum i'm sure we all know which one constantly hates on styles outside of the ones trained in MMA. I'm not saying they're right or wrong but look at this video and answer if you think you need a primary striking system for self defense instead of just doing grappling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00g5a416rdU
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    umm where the h*ll was antigrappling mentioned in this thread
    The OP. It just doesn't work.

The wc guy was stepping back therefore taking his momentum the wrong way and floating. There was no rooting. The attack defence at 36 secs when he tried to control the head looked better than others but this did not look well executed. Mma guys slam for fun and can even do so at close range giving less time to react. Practitioners need to learn essence in martial arts (I don't do wc) and im still learning my trade.

Mma guys who just counter by grabbing around the attackers back don't fair any better tho they are easier to lift as centre of gravity too far forward when they bend forward. They play in to their opponents hands. If u do tcma don't fight mma with mma or u will lose.

Just my observation

Well it's more the observation that a) that is the worst takedown attempt I have ever seen b) he is not a wrestler, therefore knows nothing about wrestling, therefore cannot take people down in wrestling fashion c) against a wrestler that will never work, because of the major training flaws of a and b.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    That had to honestly be some of the worst take downs i have seen in awhile. That was like getting the legs and then stopping. The guy didn't dog through and follow up with the take downs. He didn't change levels properly, his face was looking at the ground, his back was lurched forward. Proper take down on a single is the spine is vertical. So for some guy to be stating he's defending the takedown, he better get someone who knows what one is to try against.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    That had to honestly be some of the worst take downs i have seen in awhile. That was like getting the legs and then stopping. The guy didn't dog through and follow up with the take downs. He didn't change levels properly, his face was looking at the ground, his back was lurched forward. Proper take down on a single is the spine is vertical. So for some guy to be stating he's defending the takedown, he better get someone who knows what one is to try against.
    Truth! How do I +rep you?

You can always tell when someone doesn't know how to shoot when they gallop from ten feet away with their head down.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

That's what you get when you have a chunner attempting a takedown......so much fail. Good analysis by dragonz, and iron eagle right on no one in their right mind shoots from that far. The best shoots are from close range.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    You can always tell when someone doesn't know how to shoot when they gallop from ten feet away with their head down.
    and thats exactly where the mindset of some silly 'takedown defense' ideas come from. people not understanding good shots in the first place and using their own mis conceptions as the basis for their ideas.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

The example you've given for anti-grappling is a terrible one. Many people think striking or grappling is good enough for self-defense. This thread has an important topic and that's why others have contributed great opinions on it. I am talking about people who train in grappling and actually are good at getting out of takedowns. Not some lame WC'ers who are doing some very fake takedowns. I'm not saying WC is lame, just that the video provided is not an example of real anti-grappling.

The only way to learn to defend a take down is to train them. Learn the correct way to preform and defend. Learn grip fighting, sprawls ect. And train against a resisting competent partner

Quote Originally Posted by shaolin_allan View Post
    The example you've given for anti-grappling is a terrible one. Many people think striking or grappling is good enough for self-defense. This thread has an important topic and that's why others have contributed great opinions on it. I am talking about people who train in grappling and actually are good at getting out of takedowns. Not some lame WC'ers who are doing some very fake takedowns. I'm not saying WC is lame, just that the video provided is not an example of real anti-grappling.
    There i no such thing as anti-grappling. There is only grappling. "Anti-grappling" was developed by people who can't hack grappling. Same way there is no "anti-striking".

Also, please post a good video of "anti-grappling".

i personally dont like the term 'anti grappling'. (to me that implies you are looking for grappling defenses without having to understand grappling, since you are 'anti grappling') there are grappling defenses for specific situations/techniques to be sure, and not all include grappling but most do. the best defense against most all grappling scenarios is generally going to be grappling itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7Lhqt-ZWxY
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

There i no such thing as anti-grappling. There is only grappling. "Anti-grappling" was developed by people who can't hack grappling. Same way there is no "anti-striking".

Also, please post a good video of "anti-grappling".
    Were are you based?

if you are in the UK you might have heard of karl tanswell, he came up with an anti grappling programme which the SBG guys use to good effect, of course he cant hack grappling, afterall hes only a BJJ blackbelt and greco coach