Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: grappling as your only training? not always the best idea

Nothing a little merge fu can't fix

Thanks for the assist, Lucas. We do like to keep our discussions tidy.

In all the street conflicts I've been in (and there's been more than I'd care to admit) if it's more than one-on-one, the person on the ground is usually at the bottom of the dogpile and in a world of hurt. That being said, one shouldn't neglect ones ground game, just in case it is a one-on-one fight while isolated in a cage.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

i've opted for having a gangsta mom follow me around to socker punt people who gnp me.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Did anyone make the connection that the guy got off easy? What if the friend was a big guy with a steal toed boot?

Its obvious they weren't grappling correctly. Or the friend/bystander wouldn't be able to kick him due to the patented grappler's force shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadderz View Post
    Haha, so this one example should be taken seriously? I think the OP needs to re-evaluate their training methods.
    Oh, I see, so this would fall under fluke? That this could never happen to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Lebaufist View Post
    Oh, I see, so this would fall under fluke? That this could never happen to you?
    Man, you can see that neither of those two guys are grapplers, and as such should not represent grappling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9cXGX0wxrk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm7yWxfForE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHbmK...eature=related

Obviously these should not represent the effectiveness of striking arts, should they?

You can be a trained grappler or striker and get your a$$ beat if you are a kook.

What's a kook? Someone who has all the gear and books and knows the lingo and likes to talk about it and loves to make it the center of their conversations or brings it up in conversation but, in martial arts case, hasn't done any real resistance training or fighting against skilled men. In other words, a $hit talker.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadderz View Post
    Man, you can see that neither of those two guys are grapplers, and as such should not represent grappling.
    Re....re...represent?!?!?!? LOL!! They could be world class and the end would be the same.

Re....re...represent?!?!?!? LOL!! They could be world class and the end would be the same.
    Would it have made a difference if they were standing and the mother came in and sucker-punched the guy in the back of the head?

nOT REALLY. But much less likely and much less probably a K.O.
    I just have to laugh at all the "defenders of grappling" turning up to say " thatz not the realz grappling."
    Last edited by Lebaufist; 12-08-2011 at 02:45 PM.

nOT REALLY. But much less likely and much less probably a K.O.
    I just have to laugh at all the "defenders of grappling" turning up to say " thatz not the realz grappling."
    Well it would be the same if it had been a sucker punch standing up, haha. If it had been kung fu, it would have been "That's not real kung fu".

as it is so many times. Thats why its funny, kid.

there are times when taking a street fight to the ground is a good idea, and times when its a bad idea. where the fight takes place should be dependant on the situation at hand. not some f@ggy biased bullsh1t credo that one range is better than the other. cats who argue this really need to grow up. if you don't see the obvious logic here, you aren't and never will be a good fighter.

too many cats think they are good and their sh1t is "unbeatable" simply cause they never fought anybody worthwhile with a rounded game.

i argue this with my roomate all the time. he honestly believes he can take down any wrestler. check this tho, he's never even stepped on the mat with a good wrestler in his own weight class. he thinks coz he can throw around his wimpy BJJ friend who is 2 feet shorter that he can beat any grappler. rediculous. i'm not even willing to debate the issue with him anymore. he has never fought anyone who could fight. beating up people who dont know anything doesnt make you good. it makes you a beginner.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    there are times when taking a street fight to the ground is a good idea, and times when its a bad idea. where the fight takes place should be dependant on the situation at hand. not some f@ggy biased bullsh1t credo that one range is better than the other. cats who argue this really need to grow up. if you don't see the obvious logic here, you aren't and never will be a good fighter.

too many cats think they are good and their sh1t is "unbeatable" simply cause they never fought anybody worthwhile with a rounded game.

i argue this with my roomate all the time. he honestly believes he can take down any wrestler. check this tho, he's never even stepped on the mat with a good wrestler in his own weight class. he thinks coz he can throw around his wimpy BJJ friend who is 2 feet shorter that he can beat any grappler. rediculous. i'm not even willing to debate the issue with him anymore. he has never fought anyone who could fight. beating up people who dont know anything doesnt make you good. it makes you a beginner.
    QFT!

What's up with the accent though? Where ya from man?

as it is so many times. Thats why its funny, kid.
    trouble is grapplers can also post clips of real grappling winning a street fight...still waiting for the real kung fu clips doing the same from you

Oh and for your info grappling doesnt just mean ground fighting it also means throwing, so a world class grappler wouldnt have ended up on the floor he would have probably just dumped you on your head and run off

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    trouble is grapplers can also post clips of real grappling winning a street fight...still waiting for the real kung fu clips doing the same from you
    bzzzzzzzzzz wrong.
    You said street fight , right? Not some cage match. There is a difference. KOs in the street are a dime a dozen on google.