Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kulo Wing Chun (22pt) empty hand = knives

Kulo Wing Chun (22pt) empty hand = knives

Just a video showing some Kulo WC (22pt) knife fighting strategies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE6CeDq7B08

As I always stress, the techniques are not important; but the methods, strategies and habits. Traditionally we would be using a butcher's knife, but really it doesn't matter (I rather like the Karambit).

I have used the SAME entry method as some of my empty handed clips to draw comparison between weapons and empty hands.

Cheers,
    John
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Thanks for sharing
    http://www.facebook.com/sifumcilwrath
    http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

There is no REAL secrets in Wing Chun, but because the forms are conceptual you have to know how to decipher the information..That's the secret..

Thanks for posting, John. Always interesting to see.

Kulo Wing Chun (22pt) empty hand = knives

As I always stress, the techniques are not important; but the methods, strategies and habits. Traditionally we would be using a butcher's knife, but really it doesn't matter (I rather like the Karambit).

I have used the SAME entry method as some of my empty handed clips to draw comparison between weapons and empty hands.

Cheers,
    John
    Hey,

Just had a look over the Kulo Wing Chun Web Site:

http://www.kulowingchun.com/

Very interesting indeed! A refreshing approach to Wing Chun that I was not aware existed. Fantastic! Keep up the truly great work!

I will be in touch in the near future.

Thanks again!

Ron Goninan
    China Fuzhou Zhenlan Crane Boxing Australia
    White Crane Research Institute Inc
    http://www.whitecranegongfu.info
    A seeker of the way

Thanks for the comments guys.

Hey Minhequan, had a look at your website. Pretty interesting. I'm gonna look your page up on facebook.

Cheers,
    John
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post

Haven't you shared this before John?

Personally, I'd love to see you working with a traditional Wing Chun set of blades, but it's easy to see your influences here too.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

I love the footwork.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Haven't you shared this before John?

Personally, I'd love to see you working with a traditional Wing Chun set of blades, but it's easy to see your influences here too.
    Hmm, not a bad idea. I should put up at least one "Reverse Grip 逆削刀" with the BJD video.

Cheers,
    John
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Hmm, not a bad idea. I should put up at least one "Reverse Grip 逆削刀" with the BJD video.

Cheers,
    John
    Now I wouldn't do that!! Some people have serious issues with the turning/flipping of the blade

It's nice to see you 'have' a reverse grip of sorts, but Kulo has no BJD form like Ip Mans as far as I know. Can you confirm this? So, where are your knife ideas from exactly? Previous Wing Chun learning or Kulo specific drills? Or Arnis etc??

Thanks for sharing so far anyhow...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Now I wouldn't do that!! Some people have serious issues with the turning/flipping of the blade

It's nice to see you 'have' a reverse grip of sorts, but Kulo has no BJD form like Ip Mans as far as I know. Can you confirm this? So, where are your knife ideas from exactly? Previous Wing Chun learning or Kulo specific drills? Or Arnis etc??

I flip my blade. I have no issues.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

In my teachers words, "the empty hand form IS the knife form."

The way I see it, the 22 Sansik/Sansau came from knives. The very first Sansik "Buddha Palm" is a knife circling exercise; the second "Phoenix Eye Hammer" marks the perimeter of your knife cuts; the third "Tiger Tail Hammer" the foundation of almost all the other cuts/movements. My entry technique basically is Tiger Tail.

We are not very strict on what types of knives either; the originals are just the common butcher's knives. One of our seniors for example used to carry a pair of steel chopsticks (illegal to carry knives) as weapons.

I had previous experience with BJD (from WSL and TST's line), Japanese sword, some Jujitsu, Tai Chi and Bagua. You can't really unlearn what you've learn I guess.

Cheers,
    John
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Ah, on the subject of "not very strict" and "Sansau/sansik", in my opinion only (I'm about to step on a few toes now) before doing Kulo I think it is beneficial to first have a good foundation on at least the SLT, which gives the student a good foundation on structure. Sansik/Sansau sometimes can be too "San" for someone with no prior Martial Art experience.

I am guessing that when Dr. Leung Jaan started teaching the Sansik/Sansau in Kulo village he was already a good WC fighter; and teachers sometimes just assumes the students' own responsibility to train up the foundations so he may not have focused on building structures based on what he used to teach back in Futshan.

My personal view only.

Cheers,
    John
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Ah, on the subject of "not very strict" and "Sansau/sansik", in my opinion only (I'm about to step on a few toes now) before doing Kulo I think it is beneficial to first have a good foundation on at least the SLT, which gives the student a good foundation on structure. Sansik/Sansau sometimes can be too "San" for someone with no prior Martial Art experience.

I am guessing that when Dr. Leung Jaan started teaching the Sansik/Sansau in Kulo village he was already a good WC fighter; and teachers sometimes just assumes the students' own responsibility to train up the foundations so he may not have focused on building structures based on what he used to teach back in Futshan.

My personal view only.

Cheers,
    John
    John, going on from what I know/have heard you may be right. Dr. Leung started to teach the San Sau after he had retired from running his pharmacy and teaching in Futshan. Given the matches he is said to have had, and the students he is known to have taught he may have thought like this.

His advanced age may have been a factor as well.

Just my view.

Or his students in Gulao were already experienced in martial arts before he started teaching them, so no need for the developmental aspects in the san sik that he taught them.

In my teachers words, "the empty hand form IS the knife form."
    Pure Gold. And what we should all consider and try to understand in our training imhhho

I had previous experience with BJD (from WSL and TST's line), Japanese sword, some Jujitsu, Tai Chi and Bagua. You can't really unlearn what you've learn I guess.
    Thanks for sharing John. And my Sifu always said about 'emptying your cup' was supposed to mean 'drink it man!' then re-fill, not throw it away like the movies!!

Well said (again!) And I don't think anyone could really argue with that either.

We are much more 'clued up' these days about what a curriculum is, and it is clear that the Kulo methods are of a sansau origin, but 'who's' will always be in question I suppose as nobody will ever know the whole truth about Leung Jan. Personally I love all the interactive sets too, two man drills, as they really express what Wing Chun is about imho. Working 'with' a partner instead of against!

My kung fu Uncle Sifu Joe Lee has a very strict program where he made every student pass through the Ip Man curriculum first (forms, wallbag, wooden man, pole, knife) before he introduced them to his Kulo/Piensan methods.

I guess I'm interested to see who has a similar knife form to us as it's clear many of us carry the same ideas about weaponry influence in the development of Wing Chun empty hand methods. Cool.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術