View Poll Results: Is it still TMA even if it doesn't look like TMA?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, it's not TMA

4 26.67%
  • Yes, it is TMA

11 73.33%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it still TMA if it doesn't look like TMA?

Is it still TMA if it doesn't look like TMA?

This poll is based off a side conversation in another thread.

There are two schools of thought:

No, it's not TMA - If you "look like a kickboxer" when you fight, then you're doing kickboxing. Why practice Wing Chun vertical punches if you're going to throw horizontal boxing jabs when you fight? Why practice tan sao if you're going to use a boxing shell defense when you fight? Why train in yee jee kim yeung ma if you're going to hop around like a boxer when you fight? Why waste time ingraining new neurological pathways for techniques you're not even going to use in combat? Your time would be much better spent training the way you actually are going to fight.

Yes, it is TMA - Fighting and training look different. Just because I train to fight with a sideways TKD stance with a hand on my hip doesn't mean that I'm not doing TKD when I fight like a kickboxer and throw boxing punches with my hands chambered up by my chin. The principles are the same (for example, in TKD, power for a punch comes from the hip, and boxers' power comes from the hip, too, therefore I'm doing TKD even if I'm boxing) therefore I'm doing TMA even if I "look like a kickboxer."
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Blog Entries
    I guess a follow up question should be....

WHAT IS TMA SUPPOSED TO LOOK LIKE???????

In my opinion, all styles look alike to a certain point during combat. what differs styles from one another is certain ear mark techniques. tons of people see the Sow Choy as CLF's ear mark, elbows and knee's for MT, chain punches for wing chun, and so on.
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 11-28-2011 at 03:48 PM.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Blog Entries
    Onetime I asked a friend of mine what style does he train. He said, "My style is the style that can beat the Sh!t out of people."

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post

Sheesh, don't you know....first dainty silk pj's then you sprinkle a bit of fairy dust in your hair and prance around like an angry ballerina. Punctuated occasionally with some fearsone vocals...

If you break a sweat, its bad control of your Chi....

Dood! I thought you were informed!!
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post

It should look like how you train.

i always thought that the major difference in 'look' from cma to kickboxing is the worry of the throw/sweep and how we have to adjust for that. just straight up kickboxing does not include throwing, sweeping, or really much clinch work other than just clinching itself.

to me thats a huge difference

so i said yes its still tma. cuz it is.
    Last edited by Lucas; 11-28-2011 at 03:44 PM.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

cuz i said so.

but to be fair i think the options were limited and neither really represent me. so i had to pick the best out of 2 options.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

you know what. now that you bring it up...

it ****es me off sometimes to see people think that straight up punching, kicking, and throwing to a solid standard of efficiency cannot be tcma!!!

i mean wtf?!?!?!

of course it is

not everything has to be overly stylized....look at long fist, look at clf. ya there is a bit of flavor but not a whole lot. its pretty much just fighting

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Onetime I asked a friend of mine what style does he train. He said, "My style is the style that can beat the Sh!t out of people."
    Were his feet parallel or turned outwards in Ma Bu?

If you train TKD techniques and stances you should fight with TKD techniques.

If you train WC techniques and stances you should fight with WC techniques.

Otherwise you are wasting your time training that way. If you're going to fight with kickboxing, why not train kickboxing so you can get really good and efficient at it?

If you train like this:

Why fight like this:

Fight like this:

Otherwise, train like this:

That's why so many TMA guys look like bad kickboxing when they fight. The only time they ever practice kickboxing is when they're actually fighting, so they have no idea how to kickbox.
    Last edited by IronFist; 11-28-2011 at 03:56 PM.

Blog Entries
    it ****es me off sometimes to see people think that straight up punching, kicking, and throwing to a solid standard of efficiency cannot be tcma!!!
    it happens when people begin to feel one is superior to the other.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I understand that there will be techniques, stances, movement that are basic to all fighting seen in "Sport fighting," i.e. jab, cross, hook, certain kicks,etc...
    It's one to say that your style contains these techniques,and include them in your arsenal,

quite another thing to eliminate everything in your system, its structures, techniques, strategies, etc until all you have is kickboxing, and then claim you are doing TCMA.

Justify it all you want. It's bullsh1t in my book..
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

I believe this is really a question about sport-fighting vs. self-defense.
    For example, a short guard is better if there are no weapons...if there are weapons (or even the possibility of weapons) then a long guard is safer.

If it's a sport-fight, then you won't use all the special hand shapes for striking vital points, you'll just punch...

etc.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    This poll is based off a side conversation in another thread.

There are two schools of thought:

No, it's not TMA - If you "look like a kickboxer" when you fight, then you're doing kickboxing. Why practice Wing Chun vertical punches if you're going to throw horizontal boxing jabs when you fight? Why practice tan sao if you're going to use a boxing shell defense when you fight? Why train in yee jee kim yeung ma if you're going to hop around like a boxer when you fight? Why waste time ingraining new neurological pathways for techniques you're not even going to use in combat? Your time would be much better spent training the way you actually are going to fight.

Yes, it is TMA - Fighting and training look different. Just because I train to fight with a sideways TKD stance with a hand on my hip doesn't mean that I'm not doing TKD when I fight like a kickboxer and throw boxing punches with my hands chambered up by my chin. The principles are the same (for example, in TKD, power for a punch comes from the hip, and boxers' power comes from the hip, too, therefore I'm doing TKD even if I'm boxing) therefore I'm doing TMA even if I "look like a kickboxer."
    if the function is there or the same

how it looks is not important

as long as it works that is.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post

I don't know of a single fighting style that does not advocate keeping their guard up to protect their head.
    Some thoughts on chambering;
    Chambering the hand at the hip/floating ribs is a beginner developmental solo training method.
    It is an exaggerated, large structure training method.
    It teaches "the hand never comes back empty," the chamber is a twisting pulling grab.
    It teaches proper alignment, elbow down, arms close to the ribs.
    It teaches pai-da, body striking
    It is replaced by a guard in combative drills.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.