Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Actual combat for 'normal' people

Merciful striking: stomp foot, scrape shin, kick thigh, punch bicep, body shots...
    But self-defense should be groin, eyes, throat--

Having personally experienced the 'freeze' that happens in a real situation on a few occasions, I don't think 'nicer' strikes will solve the problem (at least they wouldn't have for me, this was pre- kung fu).

Beating the freeze probably requires training/experience most people aren't willing/ready to go through...

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinDan View Post
    Merciful striking: stomp foot, scrape shin, kick thigh, punch bicep, body shots...
    But self-defense should be groin, eyes, throat--

Having personally experienced the 'freeze' that happens in a real situation on a few occasions, I don't think 'nicer' strikes will solve the problem (at least they wouldn't have for me, this was pre- kung fu).

Beating the freeze probably requires training/experience most people aren't willing/ready to go through...
    I know the freeze. I find it useful to have a plan. The thing is I've been hit enough to not freeze at the prospect of getting hit, its the prospect of harming someone else that makes me hesitate. That's why I am interested in 'merciful' strikes. If I am comfortable with what I am going to do, that makes the decision to do it easier to make, and the decision is a lot slower than my hands. I need it to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    I know the freeze. I find it useful to have a plan. The thing is I've been hit enough to not freeze at the prospect of getting hit, its the prospect of harming someone else that makes me hesitate. That's why I am interested in 'merciful' strikes. If I am comfortable with what I am going to do, that makes the decision to do it easier to make, and the decision is a lot slower than my hands. I need it to catch up.
    Word.

I know that feeling...in schoolyard fights I'd always punch to the gut and wrestle, even when the face was wide open.
    Attack the limbs and the body then. Punch the solar plexus (not too hard) and knock the wind out. And stay out of trouble.

Personally, I'd be leaning towards grappling options...but you didn't want those I guess.

Blog Entries
    Not me. i'm not interested in merciful strikes. If i have to exchange hands with someone who is intent on hurting me, i MUST give back equal if not more aggression with the intent on hurting someone. do i think you should beat someone to death? F*ck no.

Sports fighting is one thing, but when you are attacked by someone who is intent on hurting you, maybe even willing to take your life, you have to be ready to go from 0-60 at the drop at a hat. there is no time to worry about hurting the other person. the primary focus is SELF DEFENSE. at any cost.

personally, i feel experience is the best in learning how to draw on our natural violent natures. Anger has to be part of it for a bit as well. but in the end of the day, what matters most is that you do what you have to to survive. what ever it takes. but, as martial artists, we have a duty to harness all of that in a positive nature. its fighting fire with fire. one person does it cause they have to, the other does it cause the want to.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinDan View Post
    Word.

I know that feeling...in schoolyard fights I'd always punch to the gut and wrestle, even when the face was wide open.
    Attack the limbs and the body then. Punch the solar plexus (not too hard) and knock the wind out. And stay out of trouble.

Personally, I'd be leaning towards grappling options...but you didn't want those I guess.
    Good tips, I like the foot stamp too, I always forget about it. Yeah, I know from experience its best not to get tangled up unless you are really really sure there is no one else waiting in the wings.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    When your life is threatened, you kill or be killed. It is really that simple. There is no gear switching or no trance, there is simply instinct and training, both of which you better hope is good on your part.
    Basically everything that needs to be said is said here. If its about to kick off you make sure you got one thing in mind: Living. In the moment when a fight is about to start there's no room for any thought or philosophy. Its your or the other guy and you just gotta have the determination to hold onto your life at all costs and let that carry you through.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I'm sure they He'd view it the same as he walks over what is left of your corpse.
    of course... sanjuro, last descendant of the mighty spartans, has spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    When your life is threatened, you kill or be killed. It is really that simple.
    too simple for some people it seems...

Quote Originally Posted by Crosshandz View Post
    Basically everything that needs to be said is said here. If its about to kick off you make sure you got one thing in mind: Living. In the moment when a fight is about to start there's no room for any thought or philosophy. Its your or the other guy and you just gotta have the determination to hold onto your life at all costs and let that carry you through.
    exactly.

@Uki and Crosshandz and Hsk and Iron Eagle,

Sure, ok.

But what if you don't know your life is being threatened? What if its just a scuffle? It is sometimes very hard to judge the other persons intent, especially if they are an empathically detached person.

Most often a fight will not be intentionally life threatening, and yet it is always potentially life threatening. Learning to over react would be a big mistake.

People always say in fights there are no rules, but that's not true. There are a whole host of rules (law, morality, ethics, environmental). Unfortunately when you go in you don't always know what rules your opponent is playing by and that can be very confusing.

If your standing in line in Wallmart, buying a new kitchen knife, then the attendant ups and slaps you round the face, you can't just stab him in the bladder now can you? Actually there are some people who would, but the rest of us need some compassionate moves.
    Last edited by RenDaHai; 11-29-2011 at 08:43 PM.

Okay. Stopped training preemptive strike to crush voicebox.(5 years ago). Now train to break jaw, hammerfist with simutaneous low snap kick using whole side of foot as club to the ankle to hobble. back of wrist to collarbone if attacker persists. Dislocation as mercy option. Rage prevents me from doing less.
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 11-29-2011 at 10:06 PM.

Shin kick, palm to nose, run away.

If you're feeling extra compassionate, just do the run away part.

@Sanjuro,

Yeah, I know there is no battle trance, I was just thinking of a different way to say killer instinct.

I agree, it is the ones who can detach from empathy. They are the few in our society. Never the less if your gonna be attacked they are the kind of people who could turn attacking people into a profession. A normal person won't. So the chances are the nastiest fight your in is against one of them.

But detaching from empathy is a skill that thankfully not many of us have. However there are of course situations where it would be useful. If you lack it though, you need options. What are they?
    wrong, not few. 60% of the prison population in the US. are sociopaths, same emotional deficiency gene as the "psychopath". One out of ten males is a scociopath. Out of every six sociopaths, one is female. (Stats).

@Uki and Crosshandz and Hsk and Iron Eagle,

Sure, ok.

But what if you don't know your life is being threatened? What if its just a scuffle? It is sometimes very hard to judge the other persons intent, especially if they are an empathically detached person.

Most often a fight will not be intentionally life threatening, and yet it is always potentially life threatening. Learning to over react would be a big mistake.

People always say in fights there are no rules, but that's not true. There are a whole host of rules (law, morality, ethics, environmental). Unfortunately when you go in you don't always know what rules your opponent is playing by and that can be very confusing.

If your standing in line in Wallmart, buying a new kitchen knife, then the attendant ups and slaps you round the face, you can't just stab him in the bladder now can you? Actually there are some people who would, but the rest of us need some compassionate moves.
    I've never had the experience of a shop attendant slapping me in the face. In that instance actually there's no need to fight you can just threaten legal action. Its a lot tidier than fighting and would probably be more rewarding financially.

In an uncontrolled street fight situation there's always the chance you might die. A well placed punch that causes your head to hit the concrete too hard can kill you. There are plenty of people in prison right now who accidentally killed someone in that manner. All sorts of stuff can happen in that environment. People jump in, people pick up things out of the nearest trash can to use as weapons. From my point of view if you're in a street fight your life is at risk and your aim should be to live. The overwhelming desire to live will clarify your thoughts and give you the clarity to fight as you should or run as you should.

From my point of view if you're in a street fight your life is at risk and your aim should be to live.
    Going to prison on a manslaughter charge isn't a good outcome either though. It's complicated.

In an uncontrolled street fight situation there's always the chance you might die. A well placed punch that causes your head to hit the concrete too hard can kill you. There are plenty of people in prison right now who accidentally killed someone in that manner. All sorts of stuff can happen in that environment. People jump in, people pick up things out of the nearest trash can to use as weapons. From my point of view if you're in a street fight your life is at risk and your aim should be to live. The overwhelming desire to live will clarify your thoughts and give you the clarity to fight as you should or run as you should.
    This is true, there is always the chance you could die, and every fight is potentially life threatening as I said above. However every time you cross a street there is also a statistically significant chance of dying too. In fact every time you do anything. Every day we rely on our wits to keep us safe but we don't compromise our lifestyle out of fear. Similarly I don't want to compromise my morals out of fear.

I want good MA skill because I want to be able to be true to my morals and convictions. If I thought I could just go ape sh*t every time I am threatened then I wouldn't need any where near as much training. I train so that I can afford to be compassionate even when under threat.

I agree that in a situation where the opponents murderous intent is clear, then you should be equally fierce. But when its just a fight, even though the potential of death exists, I don't think you should always just go mental. In fact I actually think mental barriers exist to prevent you from doing so.

Often I find situations exist where I am not directly under threat. But someone else is, If I want to intervene I can't do so in full murder mode because I do not know the situation. Never the less to ignore it and not help would be unacceptable. So the compassionate moves are very important.

I want good MA skill because I want to be able to be true to my morals and convictions. If I thought I could just go ape sh*t every time I am threatened then I wouldn't need any where near as much training. I train so that I can afford to be compassionate even when under threat.
    True Shaolin. Right on.