Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Actual combat for 'normal' people

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    wrong, not few. 60% of the prison population in the US. are sociopaths, same emotional deficiency gene as the "psychopath". One out of ten males is a scociopath. Out of every six sociopaths, one is female. (Stats).
    I thought it was 1-4% of the population was a sociopath?

edit - "The prevalence of this disorder is 3% in males and 1% from females, as stated in the DSM IV-TR."

Source:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisoc...ality_disorder

Oh wait, did you mean one out of every 10 in prison is a sociopath?
    Last edited by IronFist; 11-30-2011 at 11:04 AM.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by rett View Post
    Going to prison on a manslaughter charge isn't a good outcome either though. It's complicated.
    Its self defence if in a court of law you can prove a) you didn't start it b) you felt in genuine fear for your life and c) you acted as any reasonable individual would do in your circumstances as adjudged by a jury.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying people should run around beating people to death. But I think we need to get real here. Maybe where I'm from street fights are more vicious than in some parts but as I have known it real violence is f'n scary. If someone wants to do you over you gotta be ready for that person to come flying at you and know it isnt gonna be a simple case of bustin' out a nice technique from the repetoire to take them down. You gotta be afraid and you gotta fight back like your life is on the line...

...cos it could be.

Maybe our experiences are different Ren but I cant think of any time in a non controlled fight situation where I felt I could use a particular 'self defence' move. As I have known it, and this is just from my limited experience, real fighting isnt like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Crosshandz View Post
    Maybe our experiences are different Ren but I cant think of any time in a non controlled fight situation where I felt I could use a particular 'self defence' move. As I have known it, and this is just from my limited experience, real fighting isnt like that.
    I can't even recall in a sparring situation where I have been able to pull off a specific technique/movement/sequence they way it's intended to work.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    of course... sanjuro, last descendant of the mighty spartans, has spoken.

too simple for some people it seems...

exactly.
    That you don't understand what I said, speaks volumes.
    Fact is that YOUR attitude IS shared by your attacker and that MUST be assumed, ie: He is just as intent on killing you as you are him.
    What will be the deciding outcome under those TRUE circumstances?
    That guy with better training, period.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by rett View Post
    Going to prison on a manslaughter charge isn't a good outcome either though. It's complicated.
    you also get raped.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    That you don't understand what I said, speaks volumes.
    that you don't understand me screams the library of alexandria.
    Fact is that YOUR attitude IS shared by your attacker and that MUST be assumed, ie: He is just as intent on killing you as you are him.
    the key here is he is the attacker... not me... thus he has already placed himself into a vulnerable position.
    What will be the deciding outcome under those TRUE circumstances?
    justified willpower.
    That guy with better training, period.
    will beats skill in all days ending in "Y".

Blog Entries
    Sure, ok.

But what if you don't know your life is being threatened? What if its just a scuffle? It is sometimes very hard to judge the other persons intent, especially if they are an empathically detached person.

Most often a fight will not be intentionally life threatening, and yet it is always potentially life threatening. Learning to over react would be a big mistake.

People always say in fights there are no rules, but that's not true. There are a whole host of rules (law, morality, ethics, environmental). Unfortunately when you go in you don't always know what rules your opponent is playing by and that can be very confusing.

If your standing in line in Wallmart, buying a new kitchen knife, then the attendant ups and slaps you round the face, you can't just stab him in the bladder now can you? Actually there are some people who would, but the rest of us need some compassionate moves.
    Where i come from any type of confrontation has the potential to be violent. the key is, are you as a martial artist going to allow someone to commit violence on you while you stand for your morals? will those morals stop a serious beat down? my own experience is if you don't know someone and they approach you for unknown reasons, you have to immediately be on alert. you should pay attention to his eyes, to his hands, to the position of his body. if he is talking to you in a side stance you should know he's ready to cold kock you. you should be ready and able to stop that from happening.

Its not about over reacting if a fight takes place. in the ring or the street, the whole purpose is to survive and hopefully come out victorious.

Oh, about rules, if i have to fight someone Laws,ethics, morals, environmental or whatever.......those are NOT EVEN ON THE MIND OF THE PERSON ATTACKING YOU, THEREFORE NEITHER IS IT ON MINE. FUK THE LAW......THE LAW IS NOT ALWAYS FAIR. what IS on my mind is NOT LETTING THIS MO FO BEAT ME DOWN FOR ANY REASON. deal with the law later. in a street fight the only rule people pray for is NOT TO GET JUMPED.

Compassion is for spectators. someone attacking you knows once he attacks you he has to finish the job or go to jail for some sissy sh1t. if anyone slaps you, yes you can call the law, but the people i know wouldn't call the cops until they beat you down for it first.

the key here is he is the attacker... not me... thus he has already placed himself into a vulnerable position.
    thinking like this will get you in a world of trouble. you should always expect the worst by go for the best. trained fighters have a hard time some times dealing with an experienced street fighter because of unorthodoxed and wild swings.

over confidence and passivity are you two worst enemies.
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 11-30-2011 at 05:15 PM.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by Crosshandz View Post
    That's true, but in my experience its not so easy to suddenly turn the situation around. To suddenly turn into Rambo when there are so many confusing factors. Techniques never turn out like in the dojo, never the less techniques represent various strategies. Its these strategies that are interesting.

I Find it helps to have a plan. If I get hit and all I can think about is 'defending myself', then all I do is move and guard, that doesn't work for very long. If I have a plan, even something simple like 'put his head on the floor' its kind of like the decisions are already made and you just go with it.

A useful strategy of technique, a merciful one, would be what I'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    Where i come from any type of confrontation has the potential to be violent. the key is, are you as a martial artist going to allow someone to commit violence on you while you stand for your morals? will those morals stop a serious beat down? my own experience is if you don't know someone and they approach you for unknown reasons, you have to immediately be on alert. you should pay attention to his eyes, to his hands, to the position of his body. if he is talking to you in a side stance you should know he's ready to cold kock you. you should be ready and able to stop that from happening.

Its not about over reacting if a fight takes place. in the ring or the street, the whole purpose is to survive and hopefully come out victorious.

Oh, about rules, if i have to fight someone Laws,ethics, morals, environmental or whatever.......those are NOT EVEN ON THE MIND OF THE PERSON ATTACKING YOU, THEREFORE NEITHER IS IT ON MINE. FUK THE LAW......THE LAW IS NOT ALWAYS FAIR. what IS on my mind is NOT LETTING THIS MO FO BEAT ME DOWN FOR ANY REASON. deal with the law later. in a street fight the only rule people pray for is NOT TO GET JUMPED.

over confidence and passivity are you two worst enemies.

But I aknowledge this already for a really dangerous situation. My point is this:

In my experience its not easy to do. Its confusing and there are so many factors its very hard to just turn on the Killer instinct.

ALso at times it is interjecting in other peoples situations rather than being wholly threatened yourself. For example, you don't like to see someone else getting a beatdown who clearly can't defend themselves. In this situation compassion is already engaged. Not knowing the situation and putting yourself voluntarily under threat play with your mind in a different way. Its also hard to hurt someone.

Sometimes its NOT such a serious situation. The other guy is not trying to kill you, he's just p*ssed off. Unfortunately sometimes it is hard to tell.

Final point, I genuinly find it hard to hurt people. If there are mental barriers towards me inflicting harm, then my powerful strategies are useless to me. If I have a set of strategies that can be executed without causing serious harm, that is easier for my mind to accept. It is therefore easier for me to make the decision.

Indecision is crippling and causes you to freeze. Making the decision is everything. If you go in confused you are very ineffective. If you go in with the decisions already made, with a plan, you react much faster.

I do not think I am unusual, and I believe many people find it difficult to harm another. Thus the most effective martial art to teach these people is one which has a simple and merciful strategy, because then they will actually be able to make the decision to use it.

Last edited by RenDaHai; 11-30-2011 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    you also get raped.
    If you go to a rough prison, from what I've heard, a good strategy, if you can pull it off, is to beat the tar out of the first person that starts to mess with you. It will probably be a low-status prisoner without allies, who is trying to gain respect.

People will see you aren't a coward and a gang may see you as useful to have around. The threat of revenge from your gang will keep you from getting raped. Or at least might help.

In any case, it's better not to end up there in the first place. Very bad outcome of a self-defence fight.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    I thought it was 1-4% of the population was a sociopath?

edit - "The prevalence of this disorder is 3% in males and 1% from females, as stated in the DSM IV-TR."

Source:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisoc...ality_disorder

Oh wait, did you mean one out of every 10 in prison is a sociopath?
    Up to 80% 0f the convicted prison population in the U.S. http://www.ehow.com/about_5125823_ca...-behavior.html
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 12-03-2011 at 09:53 PM.