Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Info on Wudang

light saber airbender is soooooo random

Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Hammer View Post
    Thanks for the articles Gene, I'm actually more interested in Wudang and Taoism now...lots of questions...something for me to seek. Next up Tai Chi lessons..
    There's actually a ton of research to be done in Wudang. We've only just begun to scratch the surface. I was only there once and have pretty much published everything I gleaned from that short visit already in the aforementioned mags (and book - don't forget the book!) There's some Wudang disciples here in America now, and I've been tapping them to provide more. I would love to do another Wudang special, but frankly, that previous one delivered only a mediocre performance on the newsstands and it was a lot of work to put together. I think it was premature. Despite CTHD and the Wu-Tang Clan, Wudang is only marginally understood here in the states. I don't think the tai chi theme park will help much.

And that my friends, is how a thread is put back OT.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Some interesting TV vids

"if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

I've visited WuTang twice.

I love the mountain.
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Sokka's master in Wudang

So what did they think of your light saber?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I don't own one but I'm certain to get the tiger claw hook up as per usual?
    I'll take doubles in the master kit complete with DVD
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    I love the mountain.
    Care to expand on that...?
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

The mountain is spectacularly beautiful, a true natural wonder. When I trained there I loved spending my downtime hiking in the mountains and swimming in secluded rivers.
    I think it's wrong to describe Wudang Kung Fu as a tourist trap, it's A) very good Kung Fu and B) not especially expensive. Historical greyness aside the forms are really nice, with their own distinct flavour (and certainly nothing like Shaolin), training is hard, and certainly when I was there we did a mix of Qigong, Taiji, external Ji Ben Gong and meditation, along with whatever style we were studying.
    I just found my wife on a CCTV documentary! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbMnT...eature=related (she's learning Taiji at 8:30)
    I studied Liang Yi Quan at Wudang, which is one of the really distinctive styles taught there http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6T4y0pfyZI
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Hammer View Post
    Care to expand on that...?
    It's beautiful.

Reeks of history.

Incredible energies.

Golden top and Purple heaven are must see.

If you go see if you can find someone to take you to the hidden stone Bagua. I had an amazing conversation with the old Preist who tends the small temple there. Also the hike out to the tea house at crows nest is very rewarding.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

We carry gear for kung fu, mma, tkd, karate, judo, kendo, ninjitsu, etc. etc.

...but nothing for jedis. I'm so ashamed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    I don't own one but I'm certain to get the tiger claw hook up as per usual?
    I'll take doubles in the master kit complete with DVD
    Wudang, like any venerated mountain in China, is breathtakingly spectacular. To describe it as a tourist trap is like describing Yosemite as a tourist trap. Sure, there are lots of tourists, but an ancient Chinese mountain is a natural wonder. If you're stuck behind tourists, you just don't know how to get off the beaten path.

Then again, there's the theme park...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Speaking of beaten path I remember being in one of those gondola at Wu Dang almost at the top when I looked down at "the stairs" and there was some dude walking up a billion stairs to Golden Palace!
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

Random Wudang news

There are a lot of Wudang threads - nearly 500 at this point - so I'm posting this here as it's sort of general info on Wudangshan.

China historic palace site to be elevated
    Wang Xiaodong, Asia News Network (China Daily), Hubei, China | Culture | Wed, August 15 2012, 2:52 PM

The gate of Yuzhen Palace will be raised 15 metres to avoid being inundated. (ANN/China Daily/Zhang Jianbo)

A 600-year-old religious building in Central China will be raised 15 meters above ground by the end of the year to keep it from being inundated by a water project.

The Yuzhen Palace, which sits on the edge of the Danjiangkou reservoir in the Wudang Mountains in Hubei province, would be submerged after the dam is made taller.

The South-North Water Diversion Project, the world's largest such undertaking, will bring water from the massive Yangtze River in the south to meet demand in drought-prone cities in the north through three water-diversion routes.

"Elevation started on Aug. 1 and is expected to be completed before the end of the year," said Dai Zhanbiao, a senior engineer of Hebei Academy of Building Research, the project's contractor.

"By the end of the week, a palace gate had been raised 1 meter."

Seventy-two jacks will raise the main gate of the palace and the gates of the east and west palaces, which have a combined weight of 7,000 metric tons, Dai said.

The project also will raise the foundation and dismantle other vestiges of the site at an estimated cost of 200 million yuan (US$31 million), according to Shu Tao, director of Wudang Administration for Cultural Heritage and Religious Affairs.

The other vestiges of the site will be demolished and rebuilt in their original style after the site is elevated, Shu said.

The palace was built in 1412 during the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644) to commemorate Zhang Sanfeng, a Taoist and tai chi master. Originally a complex with hundreds of palaces and rooms, only several gates and vestiges of walls and palaces remain. A main palace was burned to ashes in 2003 in an accidental fire.

The site was included in the Unesco World Heritage List in 1994.

"The site is as large as 56,780 square meters, so it is too difficult and risky to elevate the whole area," Shu said.

The current elevation plan was chosen after extensive research and debate.

Before the elevation plan was decided upon, experts had proposed two other options for the site. One was to build a **** to separate the palace site from water in the reservoir.

"But the plan was turned down as the site would have been under constant threat from water. Besides, water could have seeped through the **** and damaged the remaining buildings," Shu said.

The other rejected plan called for destroying the current remaining buildings and rebuilding them in their original styles.

"The current plan is the most costly and difficult, but it can best protect the cultural relics," Shu said.

A crucial job for the project is to build new foundations for the existing buildings so the new foundations can serve as platforms that can be raised by jacks underneath them, Dai said.

To protect the buildings from possible damage during elevation, all buildings were reinforced, and the workers will put grout in the new foundation whenever a building is raised 1.5 meters, Dai said.

"Elevating the buildings, the heaviest one weighing more than 4,000 tons, to the equivalent of five floors above their original positions is a huge challenge for us," Dai said.

Wu Hai, a visitor from Wuhan, likes the plan.

"Wudang Mountains are sacred, and I think the world heritage site should be protected," Wu said.

But not everyone agrees.

"It is right to protect cultural relics, but spending 200 million yuan is too expensive, and the amount could have been used to improve the livelihood of the local people," said Yan Chao, a student studying German in Huazhong University of Science and Technology.

This is not the first time in China old buildings have been raised to protect them.

A palace in Nanjing Museum that weighs 7,700 tons was raised 3 meters in 2010 in Nanjing, East China's Jiangsu province.

Gu Xiaochi in Wuhan contributed to this story.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

600th anniversary

Would this be called a hexcentennial?
    China's Taoism Shrine to Mark 600th Anniversary
    2012-08-28 23:35:48 Xinhua Web Editor: Fuyu

A series of memorial activities will be held later this year in central China's Hubei Province to mark the 600th anniversary of the construction of the ancient Chinese Taoism building complex at Mount Wudang, the provincial government announced Tuesday.

Cultural and economic events, such as a painting exhibition and a Tai Chi martial arts conference, will be organized in Shiyan from September to October, the provincial government said at a press briefing in Beijing.

Mount Wudang, with a long history associated with Taoism, houses numerous palaces and temples that exemplify the architectural and artistic feats of China's imperial Yuan, Ming and Qing dynasties.

The cluster of palaces and temples dedicated to Taoism were built in the scenic valleys and on the slopes of Mount Wudang, which UNESCO included on the World Cultural Heritage List in 1994.

Deputy Governor of Hubei Tian Chengzhong said the commemoration activities will help carry forward Chinese traditional culture, boost local tourism development and promote its opening-up toward the outside world.

According to the event schedule, a festive gala will be held on Sept. 27 to mark the 600th anniversary.

Also on that day, a ceremony will be held to celebrate the completion of the renovation project of Yuxu Palace, the largest one in the building complex.

As a renowned scenic spot, Mount Wudang received more than 3.5 million tourists from home and abroad last year.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Would this be called a hexcentennial?
    That would be Sexcentennial!

More on the relocation

Palace ruins looking up
    Updated: 2012-10-31 09:59
    By Han Bingbin ( China Daily)

An excavation of underground cultural relics at the Yuzhen Palace in 2005 verified its architectural layout and provided firsthand materials of preserving the site. Tao Debin / For China Daily

When plans to divert water from Southern China to the north threatened a World Heritage temple complex, engineers decided to move the buildings vertically, Han Bingbin reports from Shiyan, Hubei province.

When ancient and modern structures compete for space, money and attention, the old usually gives way to the new. But when rising waters caused by the South-to-North Water Diversion Project threatened Hubei province's historic Yuzhen Palace, a team of local and national officials agreed on an unusual rescue approach: The building would rise, too. Cultural historians had feared for the palace even though it's part of a complex of palaces and Taoist temples that were listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1994.

Yuzhen Palace was built by Emperor Chengzu of the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644) in a tribute to the mythical Taoist priest Zhang Sanfeng. But some felt it lacked the charm of better-known structures - including the Five Dragon Ancestral Temple, the Grand Purple Cloud Palace and the South Cliff Palace - higher up on scenic Wudang Mountain.

In 2003, Yuzhen's appeal took another hit after an accidental fire while the structure was rented to a private martial arts school.

A local cultural relic official complained to Beijing News in 2004 that there was little investment to preserve the palace even though tourism revenue had increased after UNESCO's heritage listing. This was just one example of the low interest, even neglect, the palace faced. But soon the country's top cultural relic authorities and experts were drawn into a decade of discussions for a plan to save it from being inundated by the water project.

One idea, floated early on by Wudang's cultural relic bureau chief Zhao Benxin, was to build a ****. But the risk of a breach made the planners shudder.

A safer choice would have been to dismantle the temples and rebuild them with the original materials elsewhere. But to Zhao, the geomantic change would have cost the site its historic value. Zhao said he'd rather see Yuzhen completely demolished.

What finally saved the palace is a plan that challenges Zhao's imagination after he's worked 30 years to protect cultural relics on Wudang Mountain: Elevate the three palace gates, the heaviest weighing 4,500 tons, by a record-setting 15 meters with lifting jacks. The rest of the palace would be dismantled and then rebuilt in the same position after the surrounding ground was shored up to the same height.

Zhao visits the site almost every day, holding occasional meetings to stress the importance of the building, asking for in-depth project diaries and peppering engineers with what-if questions till each is satisfactorily answered.

"Each detail could go wrong," he says. "I have to think of the problems even before the engineers do."

But as the gates go up meter by meter, high anxiety is replaced by a sense of security. He says it comes in part from technology - the imbalance-sensitive control system has kept the range of error within 0.02 millimeters, far above the national standard. Zhao also cites the rich experience that the Hebei Academy of Building Research, the project's construction company, has demonstrated.

Lifting and moving technologies on architecture were first used in the West in early 20th century. Chinese engineers embraced it in the 1980s, but the process wasn't widely known until a decade ago, when the technologies were applied on culturally significant buildings. In the best-known example, the then 73-year-old Shanghai Concert Hall was moved 66.46 meters to the south and lifted more than 3 meters in 2003. Since then, the technologies have become a regular option when massive urban construction clashes with the need for cultural relic protection.

As such projects have evolved, the Hebei Academy of Building Research has grown to become a leader in the industry that includes at least 30 active companies, says the Yuzhen project's deputy director Bian Zhihui. The academy has successfully elevated or moved more than 30 ancient buildings since 2002. That year, its engineers raised the Jingang Tower in Yunnan province by 2.6 meters, their highest record before the Yuzhen project. Their ****hest move was achieved in 2006 when they horizontally shifted the Ciyuan Temple in Henan province some 470 meters.

In August, they began the task of moving an ancient temple in Anhui province 120 meters. They've also finished preliminary studies for a church in Wuhan that may be shifted 35 meters away from its original location.

Infrastructure developments such as road widening and subway construction, according to Bian, are most often the reasons for the relocation of ancient buildings. But it's still a rare practice.

"Many ancient buildings are directly demolished in city expansions when short of investments," says Bian, who has seen clients abandon plans to relocate architecture because of the expense.

For years, Bian's team has looked for technologies and strategies to reduce the cost. But the unique characteristics of each ancient building and site make it hard to widely apply a cost-reducing plan.

Using their experiences of the past decade, Bian is now studying for his doctor's degree at Tianjin University with a specific focus on moving ancient buildings. Though he believes the technology is mature enough for wide use, high cost remains a key reason that the business of lifting buildings has its limits.

More importantly, he adds, is a market-based challenge: If citizens don't appreciate the need to protect such cultural relics, the financial issue is irrelevant. That's why cultural relic protection in many places doesn't have as strong a voice as city construction, says Beijing-based cultural relic expert Wang Shiren.

"In many cases, cultural heritage was not given a thought at all during urban planning. Whatever stands in the way of city expansion is demolished," Wang says.

He suggests that other cities follow Beijing's example by establishing a joint office between city planning and cultural relic departments, so that negotiations can be held in time to protect important buildings.

But when in conflict with "constructions concerning national economy and people's livelihood", Wang adds, ancient buildings can be part of a compromise with the help of technology.

Shanghai-based Tongji University's architecture professor Ruan Yisan disagrees. The original environment is the most important living condition of an ancient building, he says, so relocation is the start - rather than the end - of destruction.

"There is never conflict between city expansion and cultural relic protection. If there is, it only exists in your brain," he says. "There are many different ways of developing a city. Why can't roads be bent? Why can't old architecture stand alongside new buildings?"

Several years back, the municipal government of Shanghai picked out 64 old streets and promised they would never be widened and buildings on both sides would be kept precisely to the original style.

Ruan says this sets a good example in preserving the old: Keep it where and what it is.

"Old buildings should be cared for like a treasure. It's also like an old man in bed. Moving him around would only kill him."

Contact the writer at hanbingbin@chinadaily.com.cn.
    Zhou Lihua contributed to this story.
    Love that concluding quote.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Wudangshan airport

Operational by 2015
    Foundation laying for airport near central China Taoist resort
    ( Xinhua )
    Updated: 2012-12-21

A foundation laying ceremony was held Saturday for an airport near Mount Wudang, a Taoist resort in central China's Hubei Province, authorities said.

Construction on the Wudangshan Airport will be kicked off soon and it will be the fifth airport to be built in the province, the provincial government said in a press release.

The airport is scheduled to be built with an investment of 1.54 billion yuan (247 million U.S. dollars), and is expected to become operational in 2015, it said.

The airport is 20 km from the Mount Wudang and about 15 km from Shiyan city proper.

One of China's planned regional airports, the airport's planned 2,600-meter-long runway will support operations of feeder liners with flight distances of 800 to 1,500 km.

The airport is designed to handle 900,000 passengers and 2,250 tones of cargoes and mails by 2020.

Mount Wudang, with a long history associated with Taoism, is home to numerous palaces and temples that exemplify the architectural and artistic feats of China's imperial Yuan, Ming and Qing dynasties.

The cluster of palaces and temples dedicated to Taoism were built in the scenic valleys and on the slopes of Mount Wudang, which UNESCO included on the World Cultural Heritage List in 1994.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips