Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: TCMA or MMA?

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    My final answer is: I sort of agree there is TCMA influence there
    Don't know about influence, but EVERYBODY has it.

So it's no surprise if 4 TCMA guys, a karate guy, and a boxer show up and all say, "Yeah, we do that".

rat stepping

This looks alot like what the chow gar guys do in their drills... if I had seen it in a class and not an MMA match that is exactly what I would have said.

Wing chun? Nah.. the foot work is all wrong and the hands don't really follow the 'principles' ;' )

FWIW

R

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    This clip has been put out there, showing a successful straight blast attack, Belfort v Silva

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1dh_...layer_embedded

Anybody out there not see a TCMA influence in there? Where did that technique come from? Watching the footwork too.
    I think that technique came from I don't have to protect my nuts school.

Blog Entries
    It's not "TCMA influenced" unless TCMA was the first to come up with the idea of punching repeatedly while walking forward.
    I started my "1 step 3 punches" training when I was 11 years old. After my Lohan teacher (my brother in law) found out that I liked to fight (I was a bad boy), he forced me to drill "1 step 3 punches" for 3 years.

The TCMA has:

- 1 step 3 punches (Tantui #5),
    - 1 step 2 punches (little Baji),
    - 1 step 1 punch (Mai Fu Chuan),
    - 2 steps 1 punch (Tantui #10), and
    - 3 steps 1 punch (3rd road Pao Chuan).
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-29-2011 at 07:46 PM.

Not in a Wing Chun stance.

Not vertical punches.

It's not "TCMA influenced" unless TCMA was the first to come up with the idea of punching repeatedly while walking forward.

That being said, I trained at a Straight Blast Gym (MMA, no relation to JKD or WC, http://www.straightblastgym.com/) and one day I asked "why is it called Straight Blast? There's no Wing Chun here and there's no chain punching" and I was told it was named after the MMA version of straight blast, which is pretty similar to what was shown in that clip (basically repeatedly throwing crosses while rushing forward at your opponent).

I suppose that would be "TCMA influence" since the name and concept were taken from WC.
    The President of the gym is Matt Thornton, a well known JKD practitioner.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I think that technique came from I don't have to protect my nuts school.
    Well, that is a stupid comment. Come here, I will straight blast you, and you try to kick me in the nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    the clip shows the same thing we do in our hung sing choy lee fut....we call it running chop choys...............
    We actually make the students run and do sprints while throwing their punches and/or kicks. From one end of the basketball court to the other.

Belfort got the job done, but his footwork was a little stiff and awkward. He had a lot of muscle, and didn't use a lot of body torque on his punches. Which was fine since they weren't finishing strikes, but more for speed to overrun Silva. More squared up allowed him to bring up both hands equally quickly for attack and if necessary for counter in case something came back at him.

From TCMA training perspective, we make the student run more smoothly so they have more leg drive, more quad flex and not so wide and stiff leg like in the video. And especially more torso turn for power. We push the range of motion because when under pressure, people tend to tighten up and cut their motions short.

Still, it's all basically alternating footwork reverse punch.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    I started my "1 step 3 punches" training when I was 11 years old. After my Lohan teacher (my brother in law) found out that I liked to fight (I was a bad boy), he forced me to drill "1 step 3 punches" for 3 years.

The TCMA has:

- 1 step 3 punches (Tantui #5),
    - 1 step 2 punches (little Baji),
    - 1 step 1 punch (Mai Fu Chuan),
    - 2 steps 1 punch (Tantui #10), and
    - 3 steps 1 punch (3rd road Pao Chuan).
    1 step 3 punches becomes 2 steps 6 punches which becomes running footwork continous attack which becomes attack at will from anywhere any time

And we're not even talking about flying jumping attacks yet

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    Don't know about influence, but EVERYBODY has it.

So it's no surprise if 4 TCMA guys, a karate guy, and a boxer show up and all say, "Yeah, we do that".
    Naaa, you're wrong. that's not karate, and its not boxing. Boxers don't keep elbows down like that, and karate chambers.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Fa Xing View Post
    Aiii YAAAA!
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Naaa, you're wrong. that's not karate, and its not boxing. Boxers don't keep elbows down like that, and karate chambers.
    Shaolin chambers 36 times before attacking. There was a movie about that.

That explains it. I had heard of Matt Thornton before but I didn't know he had JKD roots.

There was no JKD in what we did other than the basic idea of Bruce Lee that says to absorb what is useful and disregard the rest. SBGi was a collection of stuff that was useful (crazy monkey, boxing, Muay Thai, BJJ, various wrestling stuff).

I guess he took the name (Straight Blast) from his old style?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

actually matt was a well known boxer (sparring partner to lewis at one time i believe) who pretty much dropped all the jkd and wing chun stuff if he ever did it, kept te name probably for marketing reasons, but thats about it

he ;eft JKD for the same reasons he bags on TCMA......
    Last edited by Frost; 11-30-2011 at 03:40 AM.

Depends on the coach a number of boxing coaches teach the elbow down especially when teaching for MMA

It might look like a lot of things, but his only striking training comes from boxing so I think we can safely say that’s where he got the idea from

this clip has been brought up before and then as now the point should be, if a fighter can demonstrate what people regard as TCMA principles without ever following those principles training methods, and we cant actually find clips of TCMA doing those principles in a similar full contact event, maybe the question should be why aren’t we training the same way as this guy if he it at the end goal we want to achieve?
    Last edited by Frost; 11-30-2011 at 02:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    Also done in Hop-Ga/Bak-Hok/Lama chuen choy.
    I learned them from Sifu David Rogers (Rising Crane)
    We drill them stationary first, shifting side to side (arms extended)
    Then with stepping(arms still extended) until the students can go faster
    Once the structure is learned, you can now bring the guard up to cover the head,
    and run it.
    It is move for move, identical.

now some db is going to say,
    "You can teach the same technique without all the TCMA mumbo jumbo."

yeah, good...stfu.
    Yep I said it, and I said it because I dislike people pointing to clips of fighters not from TCMA doing TCMA principles in fights as if that valids how they train….. why not simply most clips of yourself, your students or your style doing the same thing because that would validate both the principleas and the training methods you use

Is it because because the clips don’t exist, or because you cant be bothered to show it because its not that big a deal to you (that’s a general you not aimed at TT)
    Because if it’s the latter why constantly post about it if it doesn’t matter, if it’s the former then maybe you should look at the way you are training if its not producing the results you see in the clip