Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: TCMA or MMA?

Quote Originally Posted by Fa Xing View Post
    If you end up in a defensive mode, it is very difficult to get out of that unless someone lets up on you. However, you're right, don't back straight up either.

Kicking someone in the nuts, BTW, is a lot harder than most people think it is. I don't know when the last time it was that you sparred or fought someone but I usually have a pretty good idea of what I can actually pull off.
    As per the video, just for the guy to raise his foot as he leaned back would hit that guy there. But the rules don't allow that, that is the just of the original comment.

Any strike done without proper opportunity should not work, your right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    As per the video, just for the guy to raise his foot as he leaned back would hit that guy there. But the rules don't allow that, that is the just of the original comment.
    Here, the person backing up turned sideways and had enough room to use a heel kick to the thigh to stop the attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post

Any strike done without proper opportunity should not work, your right there.
    That's fine but a groin kick is a hard kick to pull off in that scenario, you are much better doing something similar to what -N- showed in his post; stop the attack.

Continuous and unrelenting attack is found in almost all styles of tcma.

with the exception of some of the Buddhist based martial arts which are virtually exclusively defensive, meaning they do not use continuous attack and instead opt for reactive evasion, escape or restraining techniques.

Yes, that whole fighting without fighting thing does exist.
    In my opinion, to be able to defend yourself without being harmed and without doing harm is the highest form of martial skill.

very difficult to achieve. But doable depending on who is attacking you. It seems the more aggressive your attacker and the more skilled they are with that aggression behind it, the more difficult it is to not use continuous attack to stifle their attack.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Continuous and unrelenting attack is found in almost all styles of tcma.
    TCMA and even non TCMA.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    In my opinion, to be able to defend yourself without being harmed and without doing harm is the highest form of martial skill.

very difficult to achieve. But doable depending on who is attacking you. It seems the more aggressive your attacker and the more skilled they are with that aggression behind it, the more difficult it is to not use continuous attack to stifle their attack.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    From TCMA training perspective, we make the student run more smoothly so they have more leg drive, more quad flex and not so wide and stiff leg like in the video. And especially more torso turn for power. We push the range of motion because when under pressure, people tend to tighten up and cut their motions short.

Still, it's all basically alternating footwork reverse punch.
    Here's a pic that shows how bow and arrow stance becomes running footwork and even a kick.

This was from a sparring session, but that sequence can be used as a drill to train a lot of different sparring dynamics.

Straight line retreat is not optimal, but it's good for making it difficult for the defender.

Here's alternating footwork, reverse punch, uppercut.

Last edited by -N-; 12-02-2011 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fa Xing View Post
    That's fine but a groin kick is a hard kick to pull off in that scenario, you are much better doing something similar to what -N- showed in his post; stop the attack.
    White shirt got a good launch off that thigh kick to bounce himself more out of the way, haha.

And he jammed the other kid's right forward leg completely back and disrupted the attack.

White shirt got a good launch off that thigh kick to bounce himself more out of the way, haha.

And he jammed the other kid's right forward leg completely back and disrupted the attack.
    Yeah, that may have been what I would have done if I was unable to side-step out of the way. A groin kick would be nice but probably not as easy to pull off, better to get better position first.

Straight line retreat is not optimal, but it's good for making it difficult for the defender.
    word, circle out, always. unless your trapping or simply don't have another choice.
    for alot of folks a backward retreat is sort of an automated response to something overly threatening. ive used it to win fights a few times. move in quick enough and they will be falling over themselves. as long as you have the presence of mind to keep your pocket and NOT go down with them you'll prolly win right there. i would only go down with them if i knew nobody else was around and i didnt feel i would be able to finish it with strikes right then and there for whatever reason. but the last thing i wanna do is ground fight on the steet with all those unknowns unless i absolutely have to. i love grappling and its very useful on the street, but staying on ur feet is mos def the prudent aproach.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    word, circle out, always. unless your trapping or simply don't have another choice.
    for alot of folks a backward retreat is sort of an automated response to something overly threatening. ive used it to win fights a few times. move in quick enough and they will be falling over themselves. as long as you have the presence of mind to keep your pocket and NOT go down with them you'll prolly win right there. i would only go down with them if i knew nobody else was around and i didnt feel i would be able to finish it with strikes right then and there for whatever reason. but the last thing i wanna do is ground fight on the steet with all those unknowns unless i absolutely have to. i love grappling and its very useful on the street, but staying on ur feet is mos def the prudent aproach.
    +1 all that.

For training purpose we do have the student work on straight line retreat though. We introduce circling/pivoting out later.

Mantis loves to blitz in deep to make the other person fall all over themselves. We want the student to be able do straight line retreat faster than the other person can advance.

My teacher used to laugh and insult us when we trained our attacking footwork because he could retreat backwards faster than we could blitz forward. He'd make us chase him and he'd be laughing at us the whole time.
    Last edited by -N-; 12-03-2011 at 06:56 PM.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    syn7, good feedback. I love to grapple myself but understand that most times in the "street" it's not very smart. not to say that sometimes you might be blind sided and taken down, but knowing that you should always train in a realistic manner and prepare for such events. understanding the ground and training it gives you the advantage. knowing what a takedown feels like, and knowing how to deal with it can mean the difference. Believing that you understand something before you've felt it from someone that knows how to give it is a fault most of the traditional community falls victim to. the age old arguement of takedown defense is on going here in many forms. One time with an experienced person in grappling takedowns is enough for most to realize that you need some kind of understanding or you will fall victim to it. work all levels and be prepared is my thoughts.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Why do these discussions constantly devolve into “my school/style is better then yours?” A 5 page thread and for at least 3 of the pages you guys sound like junior high students involved in a cross town rivalry.
    You would think that in a field which is supposed to teach respect and discipline (among other things) there would be a more mature dialog.
    Last edited by KungFuBiker; 12-04-2011 at 12:15 PM.
    Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character.
    Albert Einstein

If a small thing has the power to make you angry, does that not indicate something about your size?
    Sydney J. Harris

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuBiker View Post
    Why do these discussions constantly devolve into “my school/style is better then yours?” A 5 page thread and for at least 3 of the pages you guys sound like junior high students involved in a cross town rivalry.
    You would think that in a field which is supposed to teach respect and discipline (among other things) there would be a more mature dialog.
    I take it your new to the internet
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Here's where you are both right and wrong at the same time guitar players...

1 Ionian (I)
    2 Dorian (II)
    3 Phrygian (III)
    4 Lydian (IV)
    5 Mixolydian (V)
    6 Aeolian (VI)
    7 Locrian (VII)

These are the modes. They are 7. They apply to ALL western music. If you know these seven modes, you can sit with any jazz, blues, rock, metal, folk, what ever. You can sit and fit by knowing these.

Now, back to fighting.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

These types of discussion always frustrate me.

There are NO techniques found in MMA that aren't found in a traditional MA. That's where MMA evolved from...TMA's. MMA's biggest advantage isn't in their techniques, it is in their training methods. They practice and practice to hone the skills to apply their techniques on someone trying their best to not allow that.

MMA is more concerned with training techniques and ideas that are high percentage and not concerned with many of the other things that are part of learning a "style".

As to Vitor Belforts punching vs. Silva? That is just the California Blitz (also called many other things) that was popular in tournament fighting in the 60's and 70's. That type of thing was around even before then too. Rapidly closing with someone and alternating punching isn't really style exclusive.

Also, the Straight Blast Gym IS related to JKD and claims to teach those concepts.
    Last edited by Kevin73; 12-05-2011 at 12:28 PM.
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."