Thread: Training and concentration afterwards.

honorisc Guest

Training and concentration afterwards.

Someone of my acquaintance, a forty-six year old female with severe chronic asthma has been attending Kung-Fu classes for two plus years. When pushing herself to the point of obtaining her "second wind", she has trouble the following day at work. She has trouble with concentration and focus and makes numerous mistakes of which she is unaware, until they are discovered by someone else much later. She would like to train more seriously in order to obtain an acceptable degree of excellence in Kung-Fu, but she feels that she cannot until this is resolved. Does anyone have any suggestions how to fix this problem or to what might be causing it.

Very some such,perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

joedoe Guest
    I'm asthmatic too, but in 14 years of training have never experienced this. Has she spoken to a doctor?

-------------------------------------
    You have no chance to survive - make your time.

honorisc Guest
    yes . They don't know.

shaolinboxer Guest

Sounds simple

Sounds like simple overtraining.

Becoming proficient isn't a matter of hours, but a matter of concentration.

Ease off and focus.

Ford Prefect Guest
    What is her post-workout routine like? Sleep, meal, shower, etc?

honorisc Guest

Post workout

She has an hour and a half drive home. Then does some mild stretching. Also, she takes her required medications for asthma, sinus and migraine prevention. (which are standard for her..she is still taking them. And when not going to class twice a week the medicines do not seem to effect her concentration). Then to sleep, for 5 or 6 hours, before getting up to go to work the next morning.

Johnny Hot Shot Guest

Off the top

Just a few ideas

1,Give her some video tapes and have her train from home.
    2,have her come in once a week for a half hour private.
    3,Recomend Tai chi instructor near her.

Questions,
    Has she tried anthing other than western medicine?

"Life's a great adventure, mate."
    Jacko Jackson

shaolinboxer Guest

Sleep

5 or 6 hours? try 7 or 8.

Losttrak Guest

Doh

I know what she is talking about. I have a huge production of endorphins when I work out really hard the day before. I am very detached and forgetful the next day. My speech even slurs due to my numbing "high." Perhaps she is experiencing something similar to this. All I can suggest is increasing her cool-down time to eliminate the soreness and waste byproducts. That in turn might minimize her production of endorphins. Just a thought.

honorisc Guest

Skimmimg money or Doh, Off The Top:-)

She'd like to know, what do endorphins have to do with speech and concentration?

...besides Western medicine? Yes, a friend does something called Hands-Over which has allowed her to use significantly less medication than before. She tried accupuncture, without results. She says that she's open to suggestions.

And thanks so far for your responses.

Abstract Guest

SLEEP!!

Whenever you work out, you need to get proper rest to compensate for what you've done. The AVERAGE person needs 7-8 hours sleep DAILY, doctors say most ppl shd get at leat 7.....if you do not, you will build up a 'sleep debt' & your body will make you pay for it! Someone who works out, plays sports, practices Martial Arts, most likely will need MORE sleep than 7 hours...Sleep allows your body to regenerate, rebuild damaged muscle & charges your body back up. Myself, i need at LEAST 9 hours, otherwise i am USELESS. seriously...ALSO, nutrition..she should take a daily pack of Aminos or multi's f/GNC or Twinlab, Biotest, EAS....athletes/MA practicioners need to eat properly to be able to function & make up for the h3ll you put your body through...