Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long Range Fighting VS Short / Grappling Range

Long Range Fighting VS Short / Grappling Range

Where are you comfortable fighting at? Long Range? Short Range? Grappling? How long does Long Range fighting last in a real fight? Is Short and Grappling range the only real fighting range?

Yeah sure we see Kickboxing & San Shou and even some MMA matches with opponents keeping themselves at long range, but in reality, is long range any value?

Your thoughts?

ginosifu

IMO, kung fu is about close in fighting. If you stick to the outside, it's just a game of tag. You need to be in to finish the encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    Where are you comfortable fighting at? Long Range? Short Range? Grappling? How long does Long Range fighting last in a real fight? Is Short and Grappling range the only real fighting range?

Yeah sure we see Kickboxing & San Shou and even some MMA matches with opponents keeping themselves at long range, but in reality, is long range any value?

Your thoughts?

ginosifu
    My Sifu used to go to the steel pillar where we hung the hanging bag and take his hands to measure three lengths, palm to finger tip, from his chest to the pillar and then push kick it full force. He'd then say to me "you should be comfortable fighting in this range, this is where a mantis fighter fights". He'd then subtract one palm length and again push kick it full force. He'd then say to me "this is where I like to fight."

Long Range fighting is an important range to master, but it should something you need to learn to be able to get to the Short and Grappling ranges. Not just something to stay at. As mooyingmantis (also my Monkey Sifu) if you are close enough to kiss em, your are close enough to kill em.

ginosifu

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    All ranges should be studied equally.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Punish em on the outside, punish em on the inside.

ba bu tang lang mantis lives and dies by the 8 cardinal points of fighting for continuous victory.. heres and example of w high level mentality when in combat with range,

Point # 2. Close the enemy using the long hand then destroy the enemy at close range with the short hand.

you must have and feel comfortable from long, you can establish balance rooting lifting steping sliding shuffling etc etc. then once contact is made by the extremities bridgeing you close in destroy short range with locks and strikes throws . this is the path for the best results of the ranges working equally IMHO
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

The reason I ask about long and short is because I see many TMA schools that advocate "Point Sparring" or "Light Contact" Sparring where fighters jump around and whack each other on the head gear and claim victory.

This happened to me once at a "Light Contact" event a long time ago. I was in a match with a TKD guy and as he jumped up to tap my head gear I blasted him straight in chest and knocked him down. He touched my head gear first and got the point, However I got disqualified for execessive contact. I thought to myself "there is no way that guy could have hurt me with that crap he was doing. Well..... I switched to San Shou after that.

Good Long Range, Move your way in, Bridge, Grab and Control or Grab and Throw.

ginosifu

The reason I ask about long and short is because I see many TMA schools that advocate "Point Sparring" or "Light Contact" Sparring where fighters jump around and whack each other on the head gear and claim victory.
    no need to say anything more about that! LOL
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

In many countries, point fighting is a capital offense!!

I believe all ranges should be practiced equally or as close to equally as possible, however, certain individuals tend to gravitate towards certain methods of fighting.

Someone who is tall and limber with good flexibility tends to be a long range fighter, due to their length (no gay jokes) they can use strikes to keep their opponents at bay.

Someone who is shorter, muscular with a good center base and root tends to be an inside fighter with powerful hand strikes, clinch, and shuai and wrestling.

That does not mean both cannot be competent or good at all ranges, just that sometimes a person's build and mentality dictate which range of fighting they are better at.
    Last edited by Iron_Eagle_76; 12-01-2011 at 11:40 AM.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

I think I wrote this before, but to me it's easier in the short range because it takes a lot of the 50/50 guess work out of the fight. I find that at a long range, it's a picking game built on speed, feinting, and reach... and luck. But when you're in tight, it's more about who's more skilled in "feel", balance, and relaxation. That's where the "hard work" pays off because you can train to get really comfortable at that inside game.

long and medium. i don't mind short range. i try to be careful cause i don't want to get taken down.

Blog Entries
    Punish em on the outside, punish em on the inside.
    I concur!!!!!
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by Brule View Post
    If you stick to the outside, it's just a game of tag. You need to be in to finish the encounter.
    +1

You don't kill anyone just staying on the outside.

I've had more than one session of getting beaten senseless with lessons on closing the gap and not staying outside.

Hard closing the gap and keeping your hands up when you're going against Ivan motherf&*^ing DRAGO... ESPECIALLY when you aren't allowed to punch back!!!!!
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"