Thread: Has anyone read "Striking Thoughts" by Bruce Lee?

Has anyone read "Striking Thoughts" by Bruce Lee?

I just saw this book mentioned somewhere and looked it up. It was published in 2000.

Amazon reviews range from "omg awesome" to "another attempt to make Bruce Lee look like something he wasn't; a philosopher."

I'm sure some people here have read it. What did you think?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

I thought it was ok to be honest. The editor does try a little hard to have Bruce comment on every aspect of life. It has stuff on martial arts, and JKD, but personally you're better off just Jeet Kune Do: Commentaries on the Way, and Tao of Jeet Kune Do (either or the new Revised edition) if you want to read his stuff on martial arts.

Artist of Life is a great book about his philosophy and where he drew his philosophy from.

Is this a compilation thing? As arranged by another author?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Is this a compilation thing? As arranged by another author?
    Yep, it is.

It's one of the John Little books for Tuttle

Striking Thoughts

Actually, Bruce Lee was quite the philosopher. He studied philosophy at U of W. That's my contention with a lot of Little's work. Little's books were based on Bruce Lee's notes, including notes from his philosophy classes. This is presented as original works of Lee. I'd hate it if someone published my notes posthumously. Many of the philosophies attributed to Lee are actually things he was studying. Through no fault of his own, many believe Lee originated a lot of the ideas - like the 'finger pointing to the moon' - when actually he was paying homage to classic philosophy.

That being said, Striking Thoughts is a great bathroom book. It's not a linear read - just lots of fortune-cookie quotes and such, loosely organized by topic, so you can pick it up at anytime and start reading anywhere. If you've never engaged any of Lee's writing, or any philosophy for that matter, you might find it enlightening. If you're already familiar, it's a light reminder that might result in some synchronicity.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Not philosophy

I thought BL studied philosophy too but was corrected a little while ago.

BL had a drama major (see U of Washington's "100 Alumni of the Century") at 'U Dub" not philosophy and he is listed as "attended but didn't graduate".

The book I have not read.

Drama was his major

My understanding was that he took some classes in philosophy while there as well, although it was not his major. That's the great thing about Universities vs. Colleges, right? Whatever the case, it's clear from Bruce's writing that he was well read in philosophy.

I've read all of Little's Bruce Lee books. Even though I only took a few philosophy courses in college, it was plainly obvious that some of the text was extrapolated from Bruce's notes on philosophy. Whether those were class notes or personal notes is impossible to say, but several books in the series suffer from this.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    My understanding was that he took some classes in philosophy while there as well, although it was not his major. That's the great thing about Universities vs. Colleges, right? Whatever the case, it's clear from Bruce's writing that he was well read in philosophy.

I've read all of Little's Bruce Lee books. Even though I only took a few philosophy courses in college, it was plainly obvious that some of the text was extrapolated from Bruce's notes on philosophy. Whether those were class notes or personal notes is impossible to say, but several books in the series suffer from this.
    You are right about the fact that a lot his stuff was based on others, particularly Krishnamurti. It's obvious as you read Bruce's stuff towards his death how parallel it gets to Krishnamurti, "freedom from style" and so on.

A lot of people are critical of Lee for plagiarism

In truth, Lee brought a lot of Asian philosophy to light in the West. He introduced a lot of concepts, not only in his writings, but in his films, particularly Enter the Dragon. You just don't see that many action films with philosophical underpinnings, even today. Of course, these weren't college courses on the topic, mostly offhand references, but they inspired many fans to pursue it further. That was one of Lee's great gifts. He opened the door for so many things.

What's more, with those posthumously published notes, I'm sure Lee would have never published a lot of that. Some of those books read exactly like college or book research notes. He can't be blamed for plagiarism there.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    In truth, Lee brought a lot of Asian philosophy to light in the West. He introduced a lot of concepts, not only in his writings, but in his films, particularly Enter the Dragon. You just don't see that many action films with philosophical underpinnings, even today. Of course, these weren't college courses on the topic, mostly offhand references, but they inspired many fans to pursue it further. That was one of Lee's great gifts. He opened the door for so many things.

What's more, with those posthumously published notes, I'm sure Lee would have never published a lot of that. Some of those books read exactly like college or book research notes. He can't be blamed for plagiarism there.
    Oh yeah, definitely, and from what I've read of him and his relationship with his wife, I doubt she knew all that much about what he was truly working on while he was alive. She went through his things after he died and published it, and then John Little followed after with more of Bruce's stuff.

Truth be told, Tao of JKD was the first MA book I ever bought (I still have it), and if it weren't for him I would never be interested in martial arts or have done have the things I have in my life without his influence.

The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

I read it, I own it.

I understand Bruce was a philosophy student. It reads like a college freshman getting his first exposure to "deep thoughts" and getting the opportunity to think and express what they, at such a young age, regard as deep thinking.

It felt like reading some high school kids poetry/ haiku.

The training stuff is pretty good. I think that if Bruce were alive today the philosophical thinking would have matured and mellowed and be readable by a more mature audience.