Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ways to work the muscules of your back

Kumkuat Guest

IronFist

Your hands should be free when you bridge. Just pick up the weight and rest it on your stomach.

dumog93 Guest

deadlifts anyone?

Deadlifts work your traps,lats,delts,glutes,quads,and a few other muscles to a lower degree.So why would anyone bother breaking it down into small segments if we could get it all done with one exercise and stimulate higher growth hormone release than doing all the groups seperately? Easy answer,you wouldn't....unless it's just too hard on your body(i.e.-same people that don't squat with weight due to injuries or other reasons).If deadlifting is not enough you can always supplement your training.For example,i squat or deadlift on Fridays,alternating every other week.On deadlift days i deadlift and that is it.It uses all the gas in my tank just to get my lifts in for that and i feel like i've hit everything fairly well.On squat day i hit my squats,then do 3 sets of military press,3 sets of shrugs,and 3 sets of weighted chins to end it up.I might do abs and arms once a week when i can fit it in and bench every Wednesday.Every workout is only an hour,so i end up weightlifting maybe a total of 3 hours a week and am keeping up a fairly good wrestler's physique.I also might add i train everything but arms and abs powerlifting style,5 reps or less and plenty of rest inbetween sets(5 minutes normally).I figure i get all the muscular stamina i need grappling and training m.a.

-Devildog

Brian_CA Guest

feet flat bridge

I feel I must say something regarding this particular exercise. I would not recommend this exercise for anyone has any kind of back issues, weakness or stiffnes in the back, hips or neck.

This posture is considered to be very advanced. In addition, if you do this posture, do not put any weight on your head. Use your hands to hold you up.

By putting so much pressure on the head, it will strain you neck and be murder on your skull.

Brian
    San Francisco, CA

dmsdc Guest

iron bridge

but not like Mr. Furey.

Face down on the ground. Support yourself on only your forearms & your toes. Hold your back flat & your hips low.

This really really works my lower back (weakened by too many hours in an office chair)

If you got enough strength to do it, start holding yourself up by just your palms, then just your finger tips, then just your fingers.

Dana

"I have been in
    sorrow's kitchen and
    licked out all the pots.
    Then I have stood on
    the peaky mountain
    wrapped in rainbows,
    with a harp and a
    sword in my hands." -
    Zora Neale Hurston

harry_the_monk Guest

Back fitness....

Laffer,
    You said you do what sound like sort of incline press-ups. This does work your shoulders and upper-back, but also your upper chest, which is cool cos you won't get out of proportion.
    Wide Grip Pull-ups are good, but remember to keep your hands gripping facing away from your body(i.e. you can see your knuckles.)If you don't have access to a pull-up bar, a broom handle laid over two chair backs is just as good, but less stable. normal press-ups(feet together same level as your hands) are good for over-all back, changing to wider hand positions work more back. Building lower back can be done by doing hanging legraises, sit-ups, see above also :) although always take anything you do on your lower back REALLY easy.
    This bit is hard to describe but is a winner for getting the V-shape back....
    After excercising your back, try to 'pull' your lats out. This can be done by finding something extremely well secured(iron fence concreted in for example)take a close grip hand above hand and try to pull a bend in the post 'putting your back into it'.(this is not meant to actually bend the post you are holding on to.)Do Not bounce it or strain too hard, the idea is to stretch the huge Lattisimus Dorsi muscle on either side, incorporated into a back training habit, it will speed up the V-Shape you may be looking for, and helps to make your back look bigger.

Hope that was kinda helpful...
    Peace...

[This message was edited by harry_the_monk on 06-17-01 at 04:08 AM.]