Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TCMA Footwork

Blog Entries

TCMA Footwork

I like to start a TCMA footwork discussion. I have always believed that if you can move like ghost, nobody will be able to fight you. In combat, even you haven't decided how to attack your opponent, you should just keep moving. When you move and move, you will find a chance to attack. To keep moving non-stop is very important in TCMA training.

One of my favor foootwork is in the San Lou Pao Chuan form. You may notice that the footwork that used in this form almost cover the entire basket ball court. There are some good footwork there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yXnPM3TnJM

I also like the XingYi 12 animals footwork.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfAi3...eature=related

Could you share some of your favor footwork here?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 12-02-2011 at 03:15 PM.

I like Xing Yi's footwork as well. I see a lot of potential in Ba Gua's footwork, but I'm just not good enough to really utilize it yet. Beyond hooking/sweeping my opponent's lead leg, anyway, but that's pretty universal.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    I have always believed that if you can move like ghost, nobody will be able to fight you.
    Light on the feet? Is that what you are saying. didn't watch the vids sorry, at home and have a crappy connection.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

I like the footwork, but not how it looks in the form.

Here it is in usage. Running attack, jumping, flying knee. And control the opponent's footwork by stepping in close and tight behind their lead leg.

Here you see the running attack, and also the idea that the step and the kick are the same. And when green shirt retreats, you see single leg stance as a leg check against the kick.

My favorite footwork is all of them. Every art form can be classified into 7 general footwork patterns. H,I,X,Z,Y,O and C

General Examples:

H = Karate

I = Tae Kwon Do

X = Judo

Z = Kalis/Eskrima

Y = Capoeria

O = Ba qua

C = Boxing

But this is just one concept, after this is understood then there's the geometry of the stances.
    Last edited by Shaolin; 12-02-2011 at 05:07 PM.

Blog Entries
    Its sort of similar to Hung Sing Choy lee Fut's "Snake Stepping" footwork.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Here's the running footwork with 2 handed grab and kick.

We like the front/back/front motion too. Praying Mantis calls it swallow/spit(back).

Similar to this idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8_kP...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    In combat, even you haven't decided how to attack your opponent, you should just keep moving. When you move and move, you will find a chance to attack. To keep moving non-stop is very important in TCMA training.
    Though we caution the student about moving without reason or knowing why they are moving.

They can be still, they can stalk, they can explode, or they can escape.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    Its sort of similar to Hung Sing Choy lee Fut's "Snake Stepping" footwork.
    Any clips?

Blog Entries
    yeah on my youtube site.....but its a little different, more aligned with keeping your feet on the floor....skimming it instead of lifting up off the ground in steps
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

I've always been a fan of Ba Gua footwork, especially via Park Bok Nam. JKD footwork is simple but structurally sound.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    Light on the feet? Is that what you are saying. didn't watch the vids sorry, at home and have a crappy connection.
    Not sure "light" is the right word.

the XingYi master 薛颠(Xue Dian) once gave a demonstration. He stood on oneside of the bench. Suddently he was on the other side of that bench. Nobody could even tell how did he move under that bench so fast. Some people in the audience had intention to challenge him (Xue had announced that he would accept all public challenge). They all changed their mind after that demo. How can you fight someone who can move as fast as ghost?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 12-02-2011 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Not sure "light" is the right word.

the XingYi master 薛颠(Xue Dian) once gave a demonstration. He stood on oneside of the bench. Suddently he was on the other side of that bench. Nobody could even tell how did he move under that bench so fast. Some people in the audience had intention to challenge him (Xue had announced that he would accpet all public challenge). They all changed their mind after that demo. How can you fight someone who can move as fast as ghost?
    It kind of reminds me of the description of how Dragon (Longxing) footwork was supposed to be: as if you were disappearing and re-appearing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    Though we caution the student about moving without reason or knowing why they are moving.

They can be still, they can stalk, they can explode, or they can escape.
    This is the XingYi principle.

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/2...pmoving1if.jpg

When your body is moving, your brain will be sharp. Old saying said, "It' better to move than to stop." It's like the snake moves on the ground. When you fight, you shouldn't think. Your footwork cannot stop. Even you don't know what to do, you still keep moving. During your moving, you will find a chance to attack.