Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sparring clips

Sparring clips

Sean did a nice remix and added more sparring, enjoy ! still looks like VT to me

REMIX CLIP
    Last edited by k gledhill; 12-19-2011 at 07:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Sean did a nice remix and added more sparring, enjoy ! still looks like VT to me

REMIX CLIP
    Good stuff. And they are working the blindside. What a concept......
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Good stuff. And they are working the blindside. What a concept......
    Weird that we share a similar idea huh ; ) Its refreshing to see lateral shifting, movement , angling, etc...using axis rotation for openings.

AND not a single tan sao punch while standing like a statue chasing arms
    Last edited by k gledhill; 12-19-2011 at 08:39 AM.

REMIX CLIP
    Yes looks like VT. Nice to see your methods, but this is not sparring. Its controlled drills and one step sparring. Sparring with head guards changes it from what happens with normal contact, people react very differently when hit without head guards and so on.

Still good to see some contact training.

Hey Alan,

You're exactly right. Sparring with the gloves and headgear, although good for your face, does not give you the real feeling for distance when you're not using them. People tend to rush in for the kill without sometimes making sure of their (protected) position.

This is why we do this type of sparring occasionally, and then spar without gloves and headgear (but with mouth guard). But sparring without the gear is most of the time with less power....remember, sparring is not fighting.

......AND not a single tan sao punch while standing like a statue chasing arms
    I don't know if you were implying this quote to the video I posted. Maybe you're not, and forgive me if that's the case, but just remember you fight the way you train. There's no chasing going on there. And more importantly there's no unnecessary stepping to clear a line that is found in most other systems. The body handles it all and it's "clean" because of that structure and proper timing.....you don't step back or sideways on your "own" in WC, only forward.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sean66 View Post
    Hey Alan,

You're exactly right. Sparring with the gloves and headgear, although good for your face, does not give you the real feeling for distance when you're not using them. People tend to rush in for the kill without sometimes making sure of their (protected) position.

This is why we do this type of sparring occasionally, and then spar without gloves and headgear (but with mouth guard). But sparring without the gear is most of the time with less power....remember, sparring is not fighting.
    Yes that is the problem with headgear.

For the Chi Sao comp we have touch contact to the head and full contact to the body. Some wanted headgear for harder head contact, but I Chi Sao I think this is the wrong way to go - due to the guys not being aware of the hits and so on. What do you guys think? - for Chi Sao events

Yes sparring is not real fighting it is still a learning tool. Some are quick to judge sparring clips.

I don't much care for sparring drills per say, they tend to crate some bad habits BUT they CAN serve a purpose of introducing people to hard contact sparring.
    The more freestyle sparring at the end was good.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by WC1277 View Post
    I don't know if you were implying this quote to the video I posted. Maybe you're not, and forgive me if that's the case, but just remember you fight the way you train. There's no chasing going on there. And more importantly there's no unnecessary stepping to clear a line that is found in most other systems. The body handles it all and it's "clean" because of that structure and proper timing.....you don't step back or sideways on your "own" in WC, only forward.....
    Not refering to the clip u posted.

Not refering to the clip u posted.
    My apologies then

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Orr View Post
    Yes looks like VT. Nice to see your methods, but this is not sparring. Its controlled drills and one step sparring. Sparring with head guards changes it from what happens with normal contact, people react very differently when hit without head guards and so on.

Still good to see some contact training.
    Agreed. But it still has our tactical approach coupled with visible use of pak, jut, striking with lat sao chit chung guidance....

What sean said about headgear, ditto.

But overall we can see vt fighting methods, all good.

Agreed. But it still has our tactical approach coupled with visible use of pak, jut, striking with lat sao chit chung guidance....

What sean said about headgear, ditto.

But overall we can see vt fighting methods, all good.
    Yep, you see the footwork, the elbows down, the typical parrying and such.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I don't much care for sparring drills per say, they tend to crate some bad habits BUT they CAN serve a purpose of introducing people to hard contact sparring.
    The more freestyle sparring at the end was good.
    I hear you but you gotta start somewhere. Everyone's not as hardcore as you.
    Sparring drills are the best way to introduce someone into real, all out fighting.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    I hear you but you gotta start somewhere. Everyone's not as hardcore as you.
    Sparring drills are the best way to introduce someone into real, all out fighting.
    Oh I agree, you do gotta start somewhere and what I liked in those clips was that the "attacker" was NOT attacking with "WC" but was attacking with more "kickboxing" like moves.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Oh I agree, you do gotta start somewhere and what I liked in those clips was that the "attacker" was NOT attacking with "WC" but was attacking with more "kickboxing" like moves.
    I noticed that too. WC people will never get good only dealing with WC. I teach the attacker should through a horizontal fist instead of a WC vertical punch. How many people are you going to meet in the streets or in the ring are going to use vertical fists?
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr