Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Alan Orr Wing Chun questions

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Orr View Post
    This is very funny. Just because it work does not mean its right, well yes that can hold some true if its just one person. But I have a lot of guys using Chu Sau Lei Wing Chun and they are all doing very well.

Also if you listen rather that just rant like a fool, you would then see that I am taking about Chu Sau Lei Wing Chun and what I think about wing chun. Thats my point of view. Who the ...k are you to tell me what I think! lol

You have your views and I have my views. Very simple.
    Ranting like a fool eh? Uh hum.....your videos? Irony at its best!

Call it what you like mate. I don't give a sh1t anyway. I gave up WC and I regret writing that post. Its a waste of time like your CSLWC ideas.

I wasn't telling you what to think! You read it and responded and this will be my last post.

Keep up the bad work!

GH

Wing Chun is good which is efficient. Allan Or Wing Chun is efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    Ranting like a fool eh? Uh hum.....your videos? Irony at its best!

Call it what you like mate. I don't give a sh1t anyway. I gave up WC and I regret writing that post. Its a waste of time like your CSLWC ideas.

I wasn't telling you what to think! You read it and responded and this will be my last post.

Keep up the bad work!

GH
    Talk about not responding well to criticism.

Personally I dig your stuff Alan, and was thinking how what you do might be how JKD would have evolved with more grappling had Bruce survived the 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    You know what I am asking.
    Indeed, and one can take the "orthodox" view and state that IF WT doesn't look like WT then it isn't WT but we are stuck with the "how IS WT suppose to look?" right?
    I would think that the moment the core WT principles are not present then it stops being WT and starts being something else.
    Of course we get back to whether WT is a principles based system or a technique one.
    Is a spinning hook kick WT?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Alan, Alan, Alan...allow ME to make clear to YOU what YOU are thinking
    WC is about fighting and one fighting with WC is doing just that.
    This is what you are THINKING Alan, but you are wrong, WRONG I SAY !!!
    WC is about forms and n ot just ANY forms, but forms done in THIS way under THERE PRETENSES with NOTHING else being ACCEPTABLE !!
    WC is about Chi Sao done in the most static and impractical way possible and NO OTHER ALTERNATE WAY IS ACCEPTABLE !!

Alan, the fact that you take your WC and make it work VS trained fighters in an environement that is as close to reality as possible means that you are NOT DOING WC !!

In short Alan, stop being effective, stop training your guys to win and START doing WC the way it was suppose to !!!

Your yellow silk jammies are in the mail, along with my DVD of "how to make SLT as boring and useless as possible".

LOL, love the sarcasm! Alan is correct. He even mentions in the video that this is "his wing chun". WC/VT/WT or whatever is not about forms and chi sao, it's about the concept and principle and how effectively you can use them. The forms are only a guideline not the (insert holy book of choice). Fact of the matter is that Alan is able to hide/blend it into any form that takes shape. Any good fighter after training anything will end up doing just that, make it his/her own.
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Everybody's gotta plan, until they get hit!" - Mike Tyson

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Of course we get back to whether WT is a principles based system or a technique one.
    IMHO, it is/should be principle based, the form/techniques are merely there to give you a starting point from which you can expand upon. As long as you are sticking to the principles and making it work for you, it's still WC.
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Everybody's gotta plan, until they get hit!" - Mike Tyson

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung

I like anyone who fights effectively and I like Alan Orr's skill.... But, just from my own perspective so as not to cause a debate here, "IMO" there's not much there in regards to WC principles. The few that are demonstrated are quickly contraindicated. Nothing wrong with doing whatever one wants to do, but I'm going to have to take the opposing viewpoint...... There's more than one way to illustrate a principle or core concept but they're all interrelated and if you follow one principle, or even two, and not the rest, I think it's pretty safe to say one's no longer exhibiting WC. Just my two cents.... Other than that, the man can fight...

I'm very happy that Alan Orr has EVOLVED his Wing Chun into HIS interpretation of what effective is for today. And he also gets props for not telling me, on a Youtube video, that his Wing Chun is too deadly for the ring.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

One has to wonder about a system than can be used effectively in the ring.
    I mean, if you can't use it under controlled conditions VS a person in the same weight category, what hope do you have to use VS a bigger fighter with no rules ?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by couch View Post
    I'm very happy that Alan Orr has EVOLVED his Wing Chun into HIS interpretation of what effective is for today. And he also gets props for not telling me, on a Youtube video, that his Wing Chun is too deadly for the ring.
    Mr. Orr's WC is not my VT, his Eskrima is not the same as my Escrima. What I do is more traditional, less evolutionary and more like what I was taught. That's my choice.

Now on the other hand I have total respect for what Mr. Orr seems to be trying to do. That is to take the essense of WC/VT and make it work in competitive fighting and in conjunction with combat principles from other arts that address other ranges and situations (Eskrima, boxing, BJJ, etc.). His practical experience in this area can benefit us all if we "pull our heads out" and open up our eyes. I have referred students to his videos to check out what I see as a positive influence on our art. If I wanted to show them negativity, I could just send them here to check out this forum!
    Last edited by Grumblegeezer; 12-07-2011 at 01:57 PM.
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Great stuff!

I remember years ago, someone put up a clip of one of Alan's guys in a fight and it started cries of blasphemy (like this one has).

My comment was, at the time, that it all starts with how they develop their power and that you could see it in their stance/structure.

Thats the 1st thing everyone should look at rather than his hands... its WC to me in that earlier clip, and its certainly WC here
    And its realistic in a combat context. You can tell these guys get down and dirty when they sparr just from what Alamn has to say.

If your reading my comment Alan, your stucture, build and attitude are very similar to my WC Instructor Beau Bouzaid(TST lineage) though he has a few years on you Shame youre so far away.

Great work, keep it up

Props to Alan. Karma to the haters.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Alan uses a good wing chun structure in stand up in an effective way.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Here is a clip of a guy exchanging with another , it looks like VT , he moves like VT, he is using techniques from VT. He learned from a man considered to be a VT fighter.

CLIP
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There are different versions of VT/WC- the clip is based on one of them. There are others.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There are different versions of VT/WC- the clip is based on one of them. There are others.
    Exactly.

Alan's guys fight using WC.... why the hate?

I really dont get it