Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting W.C

Raipizo, take it from someone who learns a lot from books. You can get the words and the basic "left hand goes here" from books. With practice you can make the transition from X to Y smoother. So books do have a place. However, you can't really get good feedback from a book and that's where you need an instructor. If the sifu is good, and folks here seem to think so, then try them out and maybe be willing to pay a little extra to get some one on one before or after class. A good instructor will be able to give you things to practice at whatever level you're at.

Be diligient in your training and creative in finding a way around obstacles. Or be honest and admit that this isn't the right thing for you right now. I've lived in or near some really bad places and if you really want it you can find a way to stay safe and still get what you need.

Leam
    Last edited by Leam; 12-08-2011 at 04:20 PM.

I'll try to look into it, maybe I can work something out. Just wish I could be closer and have more choices.

It might be because I am biased in some way, but I do believe your choice of Wing Chun is a good one. You might not find a sifu soon, but maybe eventually you will find one. I will admit that your progression would be best if you had a good sifu, but barring that, you can still learn the basics. You can learn the terminology, possibly learn to do some of the bare hand forms. When you do find a sifu that can teach you proper Wing Chun you will have a leg up providing you don't start believing you don't need a sifu.
    I can't really talk about other forms of gung fu because I don't have much experience with them, but from what I know about Wing Chun and from what I see about other systems, you would be better off not studying another system, but stick with your first choice. Wing Chun is not always easy to understand, but it is somewhat simple and fairly uncomplicated, does not require a great deal of physical prowess like some other systems. My hips are not formed in a way that I can do all the jumping kicks, spinning kicks, high kicks, and all the other stuff that requires you torture yourself just so you can do it. Wing Chun can be done pretty much be anyone that is not paralyzed and in a wheelchair. You can still do it at a great old age without breaking a hip.
    Jackie Lee

Thanks Jackie at least some training without a sifu is better than nothing right? Too many variables going in right now to really get into a school but thanks for the input. Stay healthy and keep in touch.

Thanks for the videos Dcr I'll try using them.

Thanks, you really didn't need to do this all for me. Stay well friend.