Thread: Bong sao / lop sao shoulder issue

Bong sao / lop sao shoulder issue

I have no problem doing bong sao during chi sao, but when I do it in lop sau and single hand, my shoulder pops quite a bit, on both sides. The pop is frustrating. Anyone else had this problem? I think there's a stretch I can do to alleviate this... just not sure what that stretch is yet!

Thanks

See a physical therapist, you may not have correct tension balance between the muscles that support the shoulder (areas overdeveloped or underdeveloped). It's pretty impossible to tell what the issue is across the internet just based on you hearing a clicking noise.

Or maybe you're just doing it wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_H View Post
    See a physical therapist, you may not have correct tension balance between the muscles that support the shoulder (areas overdeveloped or underdeveloped). It's pretty impossible to tell what the issue is across the internet just based on you hearing a clicking noise.

Or maybe you're just doing it wrong...
    I think you're right about an imbalance. Doing certain upper back / rotator cuff stretches seems to help a little... but I'm still looking for the magic stretch that's going to fix the issue altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by jadecannon View Post
    I have no problem doing bong sao during chi sao, but when I do it in lop sau and single hand, my shoulder pops quite a bit, on both sides. The pop is frustrating. Anyone else had this problem? I think there's a stretch I can do to alleviate this... just not sure what that stretch is yet!

Thanks
    google rotator cuff muscle stretch....the hand on hip elbow pull forwards really works ...

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    google rotator cuff muscle stretch....the hand on hip elbow pull forwards really works ...
    Thank you, I'll try that out

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Doh! Google search. Thanks Kev,
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Shoulder issues

Man, if I had a pound/dollar for everyone that I have heard this from in Wing Chun!!

It may be caused by your own physiology, but in many cases it's caused by a lack of correct intent in the shoulder at the right time during moving into and from bongsau. I also see many beginners stand statically and use a bongsau to take a load (ie as in the standard lapsau drill) and you may need to look into whether you feel pain or just a pop, and if that's when you raise or drop the elbow?

I've always found a decent accupuncturist can sort out this stuff, as they will treat it as if you have stagnant chi/hei in the area. I've seen some cases track the problem back into the spine too, so go get yourself checked out!!

I find certain heigung practise is great to relieve stressfull shoulders, especially considering new phenomenons caused from over use of computers and mobile phones.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Man, if I had a pound/dollar for everyone that I have heard this from in Wing Chun!!

It may be caused by your own physiology, but in many cases it's caused by a lack of correct intent in the shoulder at the right time during moving into and from bongsau. .....
    Agreed, even though I teach a method that doesn't cause rotator cuff issues I still sometimes suffer from years of doing another method.
    (Would you take a Euro ??)
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    (Would you take a Euro ??)
    Not bloody likely lol!!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

You need to make sure you are pushing forward and out not up.
    Remember that the bong is there to relieve enough of the force for you to block the other and and start a new action. Its a transitional move not meant to be held up against something pulling it. If the pulling is hard then you need to pivot or step.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I've seen this in people too. I think in many cases, it is a lack of connection with their own body. For example, I had a student who when he did bong sao, his shoulder would always come up, but when I isolated the movement, without anyone giving him pressure, he was able to do it. No sooner did he start chi-sao, or lop-sao drills, then his shoulder came up. So it wasn't a physical abnormality, but his own lack of 'connection' (proprioception?) with himself. Beginners simply do not feel what they are doing wrong with their bodies.
    How many times have you said to a student, "Bend your knee." and they say, "I am!" and of course, clearly, they are not.
    If I had a dollar for every...(sigh)
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.