Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Over the Hill Thread

Over the Hill Thread

For those of us that have spent our youth in MA and are now suffering with nagging injuries and other ailments. This is for MAists that are 40ish and above.

How do you train now? Can you or do you still fight? How do you keep your skills up with your injuries?

Have you gained weight with age? How do you keep in shape? Can you run or do cardio? Have you tried supplements for energy or weight loss? Has your diet changed? What do you eat?

How many injuries do you have and what types? Torn ACL's? Meniscous? MCL's? Ankle's or feet? Hips or back? Head, Neck or Spine? How do you deal with them?

Have you retired from competition? Are you just teaching now? What are your future plans as you age in MA.

ginosifu

I can't fight anymore due to vertigo and some neurological issues that, ironicly, have nothing to do with MA.
    Sparring is difficult at best.
    So I compensate with drills.
    Lots of kungs, bag work and dummy work ( wooden dummy, grappling dummy, throwing dummy and striking dummy).
    Strength training.
    I love my forms like sanchien, tit sid kuen and sam bo gin.
    My weight flactuates between 165 and 175 depending o n how much cardio and what type of Strength training I am doing at the time.
    Do lots of weapons too, especially blade and stick work.
    I try to eat very little carbs at night.
    As for injuries:
    Besides the aformentioned issues:
    Lower back, left shoulder, neck, left ankle and knees ( left more than right).
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Havent fought in several years due to coming down with thyroid cancer, so yes I have gained lots of weight! Used to hover around 210-20 and when my thyroid went bad, shot up to 293 after surgery and such. I still spar, forms and weapons. I have recently been diagnosed with arthritis in my right shoulder. Getting back in shape is all part of the fun!

This January I will be 49. I have had my share of injuries including Ankle surgery, torn left ACL and Miniscous, right MCL, right and left Bunion removal. An auto accident in 1985 left 2 discs in my bulging and arthritus is really bad now.

In the last 5 years I have really been so busy with running a commercial school and 3 kids and a wife that my personal training routine has suffered. All I do is teach and run the school. So I have put on some extra marriage weight, I don't think I'm fat, but definately overweight and kinda puggy.

I still fight and roll around with all the students, but not quite as much hardcore fighting until tapout. I am lucky that I can still roll around, some guys my age can't do anything.

Training tip for all you younger guys out there. Don't get married if you want to stay thin and in good shape.

ginosifu

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    This January I will be 49. I have had my share of injuries including Ankle surgery, torn left ACL and Miniscous, right MCL, right and left Bunion removal. An auto accident in 1985 left 2 discs in my bulging and arthritus is really bad now.
    see? even you're chronic problems started way before 40.

Training tip for all you younger guys out there. Don't get married if you want to stay thin and in good shape.

ginosifu
    Definitely plan on taking that advice.

Marriage makes you civilized and content, horrible things to be for a fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    You meant Fat and Lazy...... right?

ginosifu

You meant Fat and Lazy...... right?

ginosifu
    Tomatoe...tomahtoe

I turn 44 in 2012, injuries are a torn labrum In my right hip, docs say most likely will need to be replaced someday, a screwed up lower back, torn rotator cuff in my left shoulder.

I still roll BJJ at least three times a week, with guys half my age. I do alright, I get my fair share of subs, but I do not try to keep up to them. I work on slowing their game down with grips, guard game ect. I still spar in kyokushin at least three times a week, with some bag and pad work.

I try to just ignore the injuries, and take probally way to much advil and aleave. If my back really acting up I just take the time off. My hips been pain free from a cortizone shot for awhile now, only hurts if I do something stupid.

In all honesty I can't even remember being pain free, probally before I started training ma's. I friend at work asked me recently if ma training was health, I told him not if you train hard with contact, **** happends, stuff gets broke

Tomatoe...tomahtoe
    Cameltoe?

One could say it takes away your will to fight...or perhaps just your free will.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Hammer View Post
    One could say it takes away your will to fight...or perhaps just your free will.
    It is more like SHE (your wife) takes away your will to fight and SHE takes away your free will.

She will have you giving up your Gym membership and replace it with watching CSI together, shopping at the Mall (usually in the underwear department) together, having dinner at the InLaws together etc etc.

I have seen many good MAists fade away because of chasing the Beaver!

ginosifu

Would you like to talk about it Gino?
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Really messed up right shoulder repaired at 39. 'mangled' was the word the doc used. 3 rotator tears, 2 labrum tears, 'shattered' collarbone end. Didn't follow the rehab protocal but only 3 months due to events happening in my martial world at the time and am, of course, suffering from those choices.

Torn labrum in the right hip with the same prognosis as the above fellow.

Turned 44 this year. Retired myself completely at 43. Couldn't block effectively w/o pain in the shoulders and couldn't kick with the right leg except for a front kick w/o fire like pain in the right hip. Could still roll ok because i would just tap when needed. But, couldn't practice any sort of shoulder locks because it wasn't fair to my partners that I couldn't go far enough into the lock for them to effectively practice it.

Definitely gained weight. Lost some during my CF episode. Put it back on last winter. Didn't get it all back off this summer, fighting my usual wintertime issues of not wanting to train when it's cold. (hence a pending move to warmer year round climate).

Strength training helped with all injuries. Most specifically i felt like static overhead pressing, like in an OHS and a turkish-get-up, did a lot to strengthen my shoulders. I need to stretch more, especially rolling the ITB on the right leg, to help with the hip issue.

But, no more of the 'game'. I feel that martial training at a level to keep skills 'alive' is only detrimental to my body.

I mean, the saying around here has always been "you fight like you train", right? Reducing the intensity of your practice is only going to reduce the intensity of the attack you can handle. Time to be wise and humble, fellas. oh, and carry something for a worst-case situation you can't walk away from.

In my case, training against resistance just did more damage.

So, for now, done. After my move and at least a year of getting my weight back down to where I want it, I'd like to find a jujitsu and/or judo program that will allow me to roll/randori w/o actually taking a class. that might be hard to do as they'll probably think i'm an ass or something. but, i plan to state my case and my reasons and hope someone will let me do that.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

All the SLAP tears. . .