Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: G.I. Joe: Retaliation

ninjas!

Exclusive New G.I. Joe: Retaliation Photos!
    Source: Paramount Pictures
    March 13, 2013

We've got your exclusive first look at new photos from G.I. Joe: Retaliation featuring Cobra! Opening in 3D, 2D and IMAX 3D theaters on Thursday, March 28, the Jon M. Chu action adventure stars D.J. Cotrona, Byung-hun Lee, Adrianne Palicki, Ray Park, Jonathan Pryce, Ray Stevenson, Channing Tatum, Bruce Willis and Dwayne Johnson.

In this sequel, the G.I. Joes are not only fighting their mortal enemy Cobra; they are forced to contend with threats from within the government that jeopardize their very existence.

The theme of today is katanas.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Our latest ezine review

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our latest ezine interview

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Me and Snake Eyes

So as I mentioned in my interview above, Snake Eyes threw the opening pitch last night at the A's game in Oakland. It was the real Snake Eyes; Ray Park in full Snake Eyes armor.

A Paramount rep promoting the Blu-Ray DVD release got me comp tix and arranged for a meet-and-greet. I met with Ray during the 4th/5th inning. He was really interesting to chat with - we could have talked for hours but he was on a press junket so his time was limited. We were seated between 3rd and home, but a little too far away to get a good shot of Ray's pitch. He totally put some Snake Eyes flair into it. It was fun, but the A's got shut out by the Blue Jays - 5-0. I left around the 6th or 7th.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Here's some better photos

That rep just shared some of the pro photographer pix of Ray Park throwing the first pitch as Snake Eyes.

Ninjas and Major League Baseball. It was glorious.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sweepstakes double-header

DOUBLE SWEEPSTAKES! Enter to win THE GUILLOTINES on DVD and G.I.JOE: RETALIATION Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack! Both contests end 6:00 p.m. PST on 08/22/13. Good luck everyone!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our winners are announced

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Cobra!

When I think of Springfield, I think of the Simpsons. What is it with this place?

BREAKING – Cobra Commander receives the key to the city of Springfield…
    Posted on March 11, 2015 by Justin
    Ever since the Convention location this year was announced as Springfield, G.I. Joe fans everywhere grew wary of Cobra’s involvement in our beloved annual tradition. After all, Cobra and Springfield have been tightly linked for many years, and while which Springfield was “Cobra’s Springfield” has been in argument over the years, it certainly looks as though Illinois just might be a Cobra stronghold.

In a shocking development, the mayor of Springfield, IL has met directly with the nefarious Cobra leader and provided him a key to the city!

Check out the full details and press release below.

Cobra Commander, leader of Cobra, visits Springfield to receive key to the city

All in anticipation of the official G.I. Joe Collectors’ Convention taking place April 9-12
    Springfield, IL – Cobra Commander, leader of the organization known as Cobra, recently visited Springfield to receive the key to the city from Mayor J. Michael Houston. In an eloquent and moving speech, the cobalt-clad commander-in-chief detailed Cobra’s vision of the future and its goals to bring about a better tomorrow for all those who support their cause. Said Cobra Commander “Springfielders near and far, I accept your Mayor’s generous gift. And let it be known that I too bring a gift for every man, woman and child of this city that is so near and dear to my heart; an invitation to join with me. Join Cobra!”

The Commander’s visit is but a forerunner for more things Cobra coming next month. The second week of April will see swarms of G.I. Joe and Cobra fans – some wearing blue uniforms with crimson cobra-shaped emblems – descend on the Prairie Capital Convention Center for the official G.I. Joe Collectors’ Convention, G.I. JoeCon, being held from April 9 – April 12. Those attending the festivities can participate in various activities including autograph sessions with G.I. Joe voice actors, panels and seminars with Hasbro, the G.I. Joe Collectors’ Club, and many of the other special guests, a G.I. Joe parachute drop as well as entry to the largest G.I. Joe centric showroom in the world featuring thousands of G.I. Joe toys and custom G.I Joe vehicles. The weekend is filled with everything G.I.Joe and is sure to be a great, fun time for kids and adults alike!

The cost is $20 for adults and $10 for children (ages 4 & under are free). Hours are Saturday, 10 am – 5 pm and Sunday, 9:30 am – 3:30 pm. Early Bird admittance is available on Saturday beginning at 9 am. The cost is $60. More information, including weekend registration packages for G.I. JoeCon 2015, can be found here www.gijoecon.com/il2015/

*Note – An EXCLUSIVE look at Cobra Commander’s visit to Springfield visit will be released on the GI Joe Collectors’ Club youtube channel on 3/12/2015 www.youtube.com/user/vidmystery.
    ###

About Fun Publications
    For 20 years, Fun Publications, Inc. has been a Hasbro licensee offering fans and collectors of pop culture memorabilia news, exclusive product and family events through different print offerings, websites, collector clubs and brand specific conventions such as GIJoeCon and BotCon. Located in Fort Worth Texas, Fun Publications reaches a large audience, serving the United States and many other countries such as Japan, Great Britain, Brazil, Australia and Canada. For more information visit TransformersClub.com, GIJoeClub.com, GIJoeCon.com, and BotCon.com. BotCon is a registered trademark of Fun Publications, Inc. © 2015 Fun Publications, Inc. All rights reserved.

About Springfield, Illinois
    Always Legendary Springfield is a historic Midwestern capital city filled with world-class sites and attractions combined with a friendly small-town atmosphere. It’s a place where visitors get a glimpse of “real” America and the city that Lincoln loved.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Slighty OT

...or perhaps the most on topic post on this thread.

G.I. Joe Inventor Sues to Break Hasbro’s Kung-Fu Grip on Toy’s Copyright
    Media | By Tim Kenneally on September 16, 2015 @ 4:25 pm

Stanley A. Weston says that the rights to the military action figure should revert to him

G.I. Joe is going into battle — a legal battle, anyway.

Toy giant Hasbro is being sued by a man who claims to have created the iconic action figure, and who wants the copyright returned to him.

In a suit filed Tuesday, Stanley A. Weston claimed that in 1963 he created the idea for male action figures “wearing and carrying miniaturized versions of the uniforms, insignias, emblems and equipment of each of the different branches of the United States armed forces.”

Weston said that he brought the idea to Hasbro — then Hassenfeld Bros., Inc. — vice president of research and development Donald Levine, who worked up prototypes for the figures and told Weston, “You’re going to make a ton of money from this.”

In his complaint, Weston said that he signed a contract in 1964 with the company granting the company the copyright interests in the figures. But Weston claimed that the statutory period on the contract expires in 2020, at which point the copyrights for the figures will revert to Weston, or his heirs or representatives.

The complaint says Hasbro denies that Weston has the right to terminate the agreement, and that the rights should remain with the toymaker.

The big problem is that according to Weston’s lawsuit, neither Weston or Hasbro can locate a copy of the 1964 contract.

Hasbro has not yet responded to TheWrap’s request for comment.

At any rate, Weston believes that the value of the copyright interests that he’s seeking “exceeds $100 million.”

That will buy a lot of tiny Army fatigues, but in the meantime Weston wants a declaration that the copyright interests should in fact revert to him in 2020. He’s also seeking the cost of the suit.

Pamela Chelin contributed to this report.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

G.I. Joe - Chuckles?

I don't know the cartoon well enough to know who Chuckles is. Anyone?

New G.I. Joe Spinoff Movie in the Works From Paramount, Hasbro (Exclusive)
    AUGUST 09, 2019 12:46PM by Borys Kit

Courtesy of Photofest

This one will make you chuckle.

The job is never done for the real American heroes.

Even as they work on Snake-Eyes, Paramount and Hasbro have thrown into development another movie project based on the G.I. Joe toyline.

The companies have Josh Appelbaum and Andre Nemec, who wrote the recent Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies as well as Mission: Impossible: Ghost Protocol, writing a script for what is described as an ensemble piece.

One of the characters in the currently untitled project is said to be Chuckles, who has not appeared in the previous Joe movies. While he is not the center of the film, the project is in deep development and things could change.

Chuckles is a character from the 1980s line of action figures who first debuted in 1987 and in the beloved Marvel Comics that same year in issue #60. The character is known for his undercover and infiltration work.

Joe, after The Transformers and The Lego Movie franchises, has been one of the more successful toys-to-screen adaptations, with two movies under its belt. While the brand has cooled in recent years, moviewise, Paramount is in the process of redeveloping it with not just a mainline team movie, but with various spinoffs focusing on key characters. Snake Eyes is in preproduction with an Oct. 16, 2020, release date.

Appelbaum and Nemec are best know for their television credits, having worked on Alias and as co-creators on a slew of shows including Life on Mars and Zoo.

Their work on Alias and Ghost Protocol did feature plenty of spy craft and undercover shenanigans, making them a natural for the project in the eyes of execs. The duo are also working on Rainbow Six, the Tom Clancy-based anti-terrorism thriller set up at Paramount with Michael B. Jordan producing.

Appelbaum and Nemec are repped by WME and Sloane Offer.
    Hold the phone, they're working on Snake-Eyes?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips