Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Teaching Detention Center/Prison Guards

Quote Originally Posted by Egg fu young View Post
    I've been through 2 Law Enforcement Academies and both taught exclusively Aikido. That being said, I've unfortunately witnessed fellow officers receive a beating on more than one occasion trying to apply a wrist lock as they were being punched in the face. I should state that I never had to defend myself in the line of duty but then again I'm not a **** so treating all people with respect went a long way. I would suggest (from what I've experienced) open hand striking first and most importantly (so many times Police go straight for pain compliance as they get beat on), then weapon retention and pain compliance techniques when the grappling starts and it will. We had a saying that "they taught you just enough to get you killed" and it was true because if all you knew was what was taught during the academy you were screwed. I was never taught a strike while I was in Law Enforcement because of their fear of lawsuits but I’d always felt that how could anyone sue when you open hand struck a violent suspect into compliance because you didn't want to hurt them.

PS. I've been out of LE for years now...I will punch you.
    Second the "respect" , for not escalating situations by keeping potential violence in check. I have prevented inumerable fights by staying polite.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Open hand striking is very effective, I have used them too. Its the equivalent of hitting someone with a thick phone book, its stuns severely but leaves no marks. It can easily fracture facial bones and cause nerve damage.
    As for litigation , it looks like your just pushing a guy in the face. And you can use the time tested statement..." He attacked me and I threw my hands out to defend myself and he fell over...." I was told to phrase my statements like this by a police officer at a station after an event.
    Yes or chops open hand strikes are lower on the use of force for my department anyways so palm or chop which is probably just as if not more effective than a closed fist....