Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: When a Bagua guy fights a WC guy

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Let me ask this simple question then. How can a WC guy be able to reach to this level? Should his training need some modification? Should he spend more time to train his footwork?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1dh_...layer_embedded
    Elite level fighters are born, not made John.
    ANYONE can become a competent fighter but to compete at the elite level, that is another thing entirely.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I can understand why the WC guy probably made that mistake:
    He saw what the other guys was "looking" to do and that was charge him and he ( the wc guy) thought that he would "beat him to the punch".
    But the other guy crouched repeatedly in the build up to the fight. Surely that was a clue that he wouldn't mind attacking him at the waist, which is precisely what happened? If your opponent threw kicks out during the warmup you'd assume they were a kicker, if they bobbed and weaved a boxer, if they crouch low a ground fighter, no?

There is no sense in what the Wing Chun guy did. None.

What will happen when a Bagua guy fights a WC guy?

Please comment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io_qLYs8Ocw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h-ge...eature=related
    That first vid wasn't WC vs. Bagua.

And I bet the WC guy's arm was getting tired from holding it out for 2 minutes before the fight began.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Elite level fighters are born, not made John.
    ANYONE can become a competent fighter but to compete at the elite level, that is another thing entirely.
    This.

Elite level in any sport is genetics + superior training.

Sure, some people use genetics as an excuse, but some people will not be elite level even with perfect training and perfect diet/supps/coaching/drugs.

It's not PC to say this, though, so I expect to be flamed.

Let me ask this simple question then. How can a WC guy be able to reach to this level? Should his training need some modification? Should he spend more time to train his footwork?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1dh_...layer_embedded
    Reaching that level is possible if the person studies MMA.

Didn't we already talk about that clip in another thread? It wasn't WC, therefore it's not even relevant to ask "how can a WC guy reach this level?"

That's like asking how can a drag racer learn to corner in his dragster like an AutoX guy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    Didn't we already talk about that clip in another thread? It wasn't WC, therefore it's not even relevant to ask "how can a WC guy reach this level?"
    Continuous straight punches is continuous straight punches. Whether you want to call it "chain punches" or "head hunting", it won't make any difference. The word "style" has no meaning to me. It's the end result that I care about. when I was 11 years old, I was forced to train "1 step 3 punches" for 3 years. I didn't know what style that I trained and I didn't care.

Sometime people may only pay attention on how fast that they can punch without moving forward. IMO, the fast forward footwork is more important than the fast punches.

Just wonder if people will agree with me on the importance of the footwork training. This thread is really trying to discuss "footwork". If you can run your opponent down, your chain punches may not even be needed.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 12-16-2011 at 09:15 PM.

Most TCMA are rooted in self defense, but these sport fighting events pretty much are just offense against offense, for a lot of reasons that most people do not seem to be aware of.

So training just full offense seems to work good for these events, hit him before he hits you, not really self defense unless you can prove he was going to kill you first outside the ring.

A punch is a punch, who cares what style, style does not make much difference in sport fighting, because of the rules you will not see a style.

Continuous straight punches is continuous straight punches. Whether you want to call it "chain punches" or "head hunting", it won't make any difference. The word "style" has no meaning to me. It's the end result that I care about. when I was 11 years old, I was forced to train "1 step 3 punches" for 3 years. I didn't know what style that I trained and I didn't care.

Sometime people may only pay attention on how fast that they can punch without moving forward. IMO, the fast forward footwork is more important than the fast punches.

Just wonder if people will agree with me on the importance of the footwork training. This thread is really trying to discuss "footwork". If you can run your opponent down, your chain punches may not even needed.
    All I'm saying is if someone showed me that clip and said "I want to learn how to fight like that. What should I do?" I wouldn't tell them to join a WC school.

All I'm saying is if someone showed me that clip and said "I want to learn how to fight like that. What should I do?" I wouldn't tell them to join a WC school.
    I'd punch them in the stomach if they did that.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Just wonder if people will agree with me on the importance of the footwork training. This thread is really trying to discuss "footwork". If you can run your opponent down, your chain punches may not even needed.
    "If the feet are not right, the hands will be light."

- jo

Just wonder if people will agree with me on the importance of the footwork training. This thread is really trying to discuss "footwork".
    In that case, I'm in agreement.

It's just that in those 2 clips, I didn't see much in the way of fighting as I saw some pwnage and some half hearted low level "sparring".

Was that even decent footwork in the second clip? I can't bring myself to watch it again.

Blog Entries
    Many years ago in Taiwan, there was a guy who wanted to compete in Kung Fu tournament. He didn't have any MA background. Someone suggested a training method for him. He hanged a coconut with 2 ropes between 2 trees. Everyday he punched that coconut while it bounced between tree. 6 months later he fought the tournament, nobody could get away from his "head hunting".

What style did he trained? No style at all.

Many years ago in Taiwan, there was a guy who wanted to compete in Kung Fu tournament. He didn't have any MA background. Someone suggested a training method for him. He hanged a coconut with 2 ropes between 2 trees. Everyday he punched that coconut while it bounced between tree. 6 months later he fought the tournament, nobody could get away from his "head hunting".

He was probably fighting against tcma guys who didnt know how to fight anyway. I'm sure even a mid level mma amateur would wipe the floor with him. But again, more anecdotal evidence about some ancient dude. And i find that story highly implausible anyway unless his opponents had never trained against a resisting opponent... oh wait, they were tcma guys. N/m I believe it.

On a related note, the I'm imagining the rig you described as being similar to a double end bag, which is a great training tool. It's hilarious and humbling how many of your punches miss when you first start using it.

There was this guy who wanted to win battle of the bands but had never had any music lessons. Someone suggested he make a guitar out of a shoebox and rubberbands. He practiced every day for 6 months and ended up winning battle of the bands

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Most TCMA are rooted in self defense, but these sport fighting events pretty much are just offense against offense, for a lot of reasons that most people do not seem to be aware of.

So training just full offense seems to work good for these events, hit him before he hits you, not really self defense unless you can prove he was going to kill you first outside the ring.
    I cannot fathom where you get the these "sporting" events are just offense against offense?

Honestly, with no due disrespect, there is a lot of these "sporting" fights that have plenty of defense added into the mix. on the amature level you see a lot of the offense present but the higher up you go you see a constant application of defense and offense present.

The thing that most people of the "traditional" background don't get is that MMA translates pretty well to formats of the "street" just fine. When people think of mma they think BJJ which is a back a$$ way of thinking IMO. The "killing" metaphone is over stated. Being able to fight on all fronts is where mma garners it's prize. Which I can say, most traditional background neglect a lot especially in the clinch and ground.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Did that train his footwork? Or did he just wait for the other guys to come to him?