Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Experience rolling with tai chi people?

Thans i agree with most of what you said. I disagree with the fact that you dont use power, strenght or hard force when you strike or push. I agree with the utilization of your opponents structure to repel or uproot him with your structure. But that is also accompanied with Force. The Ging is that force. With out Yang how can Yin travel? With out Yin how can you fully express your Yang?

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post
    Even the push is not hard. But the effect is hard.

A low level Tai Chi guy lines up his own body so he can push back with a very strong structure.

A top level guy lines up his opponent's structure so he can bounce out his opponent with two single points e.g. 2 fingers (of course, during practice only). In real fight, it would be two palms or Yin and Yang halves of a single palm or the first and second knuckles etc.

In real fights, a top level Tai Chi person would seem amazing strong to the opponent and the people watching. The "yielding" is invisible, virtually no perceivable structure. It can often be mistaken as brute force. It is done by removing the opponent's balance as soon as contact occurs. It does not take much force to push a refrigerator over when you have already placed it on it's edge.

This is not a Tai Chi forum so I won't elaborate on the method.

Cheers,
    John
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    Thans i agree with most of what you said. I disagree with the fact that you dont use power, strenght or hard force when you strike or push. I agree with the utilization of your opponents structure to repel or uproot him with your structure. But that is also accompanied with Force. The Ging is that force. With out Yang how can Yin travel? With out Yin how can you fully express your Yang?
    避實就虛,以虛帶實。
    "avoid the substantial and embrace the in-substantial, using the in-substantial to take over the substantial."
    Not the best translation, but that's the best I can do

Yoshi, you understand the first half. All Tai Chi practitioners understand the first half.

But the first half is not the purpose; it is to facilitate the second half. The second half is the purpose.

If you use the "in-substantial" to take away the opponent's force, as soon as you start using force it reverts back to the substantial, and the opponent will sense you and be able to fight back. This is why most Tai Chi push hands turns back into force against force. You might as well not be empty the first place

Our aim is to turn the interaction between you and your opponent into the dynamics of a Yin Yang sign. Lets say the black half is yin and the white half is yang. We are not trying to use the black half then switching back to the the white half; that's just kindergarten. We are using the "white dot" which is the "true yang" within the black half.

That's all I'll say. I hope I didn't bore anyone. If we ever meet up, I will show you.

Cheers,
    John
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

^^^
    I get that insubstantial to take over the substantial thats like being a mist where when one attacks you basically aren't there.

Kind of like when in WC we shift and their force goes to where we aren't......

The idea is to "not be there" but also, and more important, is to lead the opponent in a place where natural structure and strength makes you ten times stronger, and them ten times weaker.

Excellent post and you are very correct. When you speak of not butting force with force. Tai Chi does infact use substantial and non-substantial in my opinion. when an opponent is advancing you roll back or ward off. You don't retreat. You are still attacking. But you are swallowing their energy thus disrupting their structure or uprooting them. The uprooting is your simultaneous attack and defend. Yin and Yang. In Tai Chi you don't attack a opponent with a strong structure intact. You disrupt him an strike simultaneously. In substantial and to non-substantial I am speaking in laymans terms to not being doubled weighted. What i mean is I do not ever stand in fifty fifty stance. Not even my hands, fingers, knees or arms are double weighted. The breathe is not double weighted it fluidly cycles from in and out.

Same with substantial to nonsubstantial. I am not saying try to over power your opponent. I am saying once his energy is dissipated and turn off then you can strike with force unoppose.

Tai chi uses bigger circles than Wing Chun. Its about going around your opponents strength and attacking where he is weak.

You are right with in the White circle there is a black circle. and with in the black circle there is a white circle.

If you are soft. You are not completely weak. You have one ounce of yang with in your yin!

When you are hard you are not stiff and rigid but fluid. You have a one ounce of Yin in your yang.

You cant carry Chi with out external energy. You can not expel external force with out internal energy! If your too hard you will not be fluid but stiff and robotic. If your too soft you will not be strong but weak with no structure!

Lik covers chi. Chi is with in Lik!

How else can Jing be manifested with out Lik or with out Chi?

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post
    避實就虛,以虛帶實。
    "avoid the substantial and embrace the in-substantial, using the in-substantial to take over the substantial."
    Not the best translation, but that's the best I can do

Yoshi, you understand the first half. All Tai Chi practitioners understand the first half.

But the first half is not the purpose; it is to facilitate the second half. The second half is the purpose.

If you use the "in-substantial" to take away the opponent's force, as soon as you start using force it reverts back to the substantial, and the opponent will sense you and be able to fight back. This is why most Tai Chi push hands turns back into force against force. You might as well not be empty the first place

Our aim is to turn the interaction between you and your opponent into the dynamics of a Yin Yang sign. Lets say the black half is yin and the white half is yang. We are not trying to use the black half then switching back to the the white half; that's just kindergarten. We are using the "white dot" which is the "true yang" within the black half.

That's all I'll say. I hope I didn't bore anyone. If we ever meet up, I will show you.

Cheers,
    John
    Last edited by Yoshiyahu; 12-21-2011 at 02:21 PM.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"