Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Water

Kairo Guest

Water intake - How much pre and post training and why?

???
    Anyone help
    ???
    K.

Johnny Hot Shot Guest

Water

Drink at least 4 litres per day. Drink more when you are training hard, you can never drink too much water I'm already on my 3rd litre and its only 9 AM.

mad taoist Guest
    no offense, but you can drink too much water. People have died from water intoxication before -- alot of them are the ones anxious about drug tests and drink hell loads of water.

'If we do not go within, we go without'.

UberShaman Guest
    You can leach out too many water soluble vitamins and minerals, this happens to athletes quite a bit. A recent NSCA journal article debunked the whole 8 glasses a day myth. I'll see if I can find a link to it online

IronFist Guest

Water

>>>>People have died from water intoxication before -- alot of them are the ones anxious about drug tests and drink hell loads of water

These people were people who drink that much for the purpose of feeling intoxicated (i saw it on the news... hehe).

But, to come close to this you need around 80 glass a day. A gallon is 16 glasses. So, that's right, it takes at least 4 gallons a day to reach this. If you drink 4 gallons a day, you'd better be sitting on a toilet the whole time.

I'd say, 99.999~% of the population do not need to worry abou water intoxication. And I doubt anyone worried about a drug test actually drank in excess of 2 gallons a day, but if they did, ****, maybe they should lay off the drugs.

Kairo, drink as much as makes you feel good. Start at 8 glasses a day and work up to a gallon (16 glasses) ideally. If you only get 6 glasses one day that's fine. It all depends. If you drink only 8 a day you'll still be healthier than most people. Just know that if it's like 8pm and you're going to workout, and you haven't drank anything all day, you might start feeling light headed. So, I'd say under normal conditions (ie, NOT working out in an unaircondidtioned room, or in a desert, etc) if you drink two glasses of water 30 minutes before you work out you'll be fine. Sip on water throughout your workout, and drink it afterwards if you're thirsty.

I've heard caffiene dehydrates you, so don't be a caffiene monger before a workout. A little is ok, but don't forget the water. Also remember that your body will develop a tolerance to caffiene after a while, so if you slam a Dew before your workout every night, after a while you'll stop feeling it's effects.

Does all this help? Let me know if you've got more quetsions.

Iron

UberShaman Guest
    Theres no set amount of water a human needs everyone has a different weight so those X many glasses per day recomendations are myths. Everyone has a different amount of body mass to hydrate. your body also takes fluid from just about anything containing moisture you eat. Milk, juice and most beverages except for cafeinated ones also will rehydrate you. Females in particular have fluid needs that vary drastically on a weekly basis due to hormonal fluctuations. The general rule for an athlete in training is to drink enough to have 4 or 5 clear urinations per da

IronFist Guest

oops!

Uber said

". Everyone has a different amount of body mass to hydrate. your body also takes fluid from just about anything containing moisture you eat. Milk, juice and most beverages except for cafeinated ones also will rehydrate you. "

Well, your body does take moisture from everything you eat... but pure water is 99% better than the water you'd get form eating an orange for example, which is why most people think water should be consumed daily, regardless of whatever else you eat or drink.

He also said:

"The general rule for an athlete in training is to drink enough to have 4 or 5 clear urinations per da "

Yeah, i guess that's a good rule to go by, too. All of your urinations, including your morning pee (ideally) should be clear. This indicates sufficient hydration. Good call.

Iron

watercloud Guest
    water can also help prevent cramps.

Tvebak Guest
    And dont drink icecold water during training, it can really hurt like hell.
    Just wanted to mention it.

Daedalus Guest

Water Intake

2 cups - 2 hrs before working out
    2 cups - 15 minutes before working out
    2 oz. every 15 minutes during a workout
    at least 2 cups immediately afterward

These recommendations are taken from the American Council on Exercise(ACE).

Kristoffer Guest
    "2 oz. every 15 minutes during a workout"

no offence, but i think this is wrong. If u drink during, or just before a workout. Then you get more exhausted and can get winded more easely. I've had alot of people telling me this, and I've experienced this myself. It is probebly different from person to person.
    :D

~K~
    the super-duper supreme

Johnny Hot Shot Guest

Water

How much daily? Currently I'm drinking about 6 to 8 litres a day at least. When I train I sweat like a maniac is this good? It feels good but I'm sure that when I'm at the Dojo my partners don't appreciate me dripping sweat all over them. So my questions are how much water daily and how do I aleviate my profuse sweating.

"Life's a great adventure, mate."
    Jacko Jackson

JWTAYLOR Guest
    Sweat is good. Sounds like you are drinking enough water. But no matter how much you drink, don't expect to quit sweating. Sweating is good. It rids your body of toxins, and cools you at the same time. Good.
    JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

UberShaman Guest
    Drink enough to have 3-5 clear urinations per day

ElPietro Guest
    "Drink enough to have 3-5 clear urinations per day."

That isn't a very accurate way to determine how much water to drink. Everyone has different bodily capacity and needs. Just drink as much as you can and don't worry. Water is great no matter when. As long as you aren't drowning you are fine. ;)