Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Water

UberShaman Guest
    Its a very accurate way, and its recomended by most organizations that train elite athletes. Your own bodies usage is the regulating factor in this method. Too much water can leach water soluble vitamins and minerals from your body. Every marahon will have at least several people who over hydrate and end up getting debilitating cramps from this leaching process.

Brian_CA Guest

sweating.

If your sweat has a bad smell to it, you are holding toxins in your body. You should notice a less sweating once your body has squeezed out all the toxins. The bad smell should go away first then less sweating. That is the theory anyway. You may however, just sweat alot. If that is the case then your training partner will just have to get over it. It just sweat after all!

Brian
    San Francisco, CA

IronFist Guest

Sweating

Brian_CA said:

"If your sweat has a bad smell to it, you are holding toxins in your body. You should notice a less sweating once your body has squeezed out all the toxins. The bad smell should go away first then less sweating"

No. First of all, the bad smell of sweat results from stagnant sweat (on your clothes or whatever) attracting bacteria. It is the bacteria that smells, not the sweat itself. And just so no one says otherwise, the bacteria is NOT in the sweat when your body produces, it gets trapped in the sweat when it is on your body, clothes, etc.

Second, the body sweats to cool itself down, not to release toxins. The body may become more effecient at keeping itself cool as you work out more, which may result in less sweating, but it has nothing to do with the level of "toxins" in your body.

Iron

SevenStar Guest
    "Just drink as much as you can and don't worry."

Not quite...too much water can mess with the digestive process. You need to regulate your water intake.

-SevenStar©
    Those who say "BJJ is superior!" are just repeating what they've been told and are too inexperienced to comment. Once you've been there and done that you know to never say never or that one is not always better than the other.

Brian_CA Guest

re: Iron fist

Dear IronFist,

Firstly, I must ask what your qualifications in order to discuss the body? Are you a doctor? A yoga instructor or perhaps anyone else who has trained extensively in anatomy and physiology? If so, how many people have you healed? what's your track record on this subject?

Secondly, I must repectfully disagree with you. The skin is the largest organ in your body. Part of it's function is excertion. Toxins are expelled through the skin from your internal organs. Thus sweating incurres. While bacteria can can form from sweat, where do you think that bacteria comes from? Only one place, from the sweat of your skin.

While sweat does act as a cooling agent for the body, Sweat results from the body systems working at level that causes stimulation of the internal and external systems.

When you have a fever, what happens? you sweat. Two reasons, one the body uses the skin to expell the sickness from your body and secondly to cool you down.

There is tons of medical study done on the subject. A good deal of talks about sweat and atheletes. Part of the reason people who work out are generally healther is due to the detox you get when you sweat.

Sweating is great, however if are in empty room naked and your sweat stinks, you are releasing toxins and might want to look at your at improving your diet.

hope this helps,

Brian
    San Francisco, CA

Kiasyd Guest
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>While bacteria can can form from sweat, where do you think that bacteria comes from? Only one place, from the sweat of your skin. [/quote]

I appologize for my ignorance, but... Are you saying that we sweat bacteria ??? :Yuck: :eek:

-- Kiasyd

IronFist Guest

re: Brian_CA

(All quotes in this post are from Brian_CA. Responses are in bold for distinction)

"Firstly, I must ask what your qualifications in order to discuss the body? Are you a doctor? A yoga instructor or perhaps anyone else who has trained extensively in anatomy and physiology? If so, how many people have you healed? what's your track record on this subject? "

Sorry dude, I'm not quite a doctor :) I'm only a Junior in college. Actually, I have been studying anatomy, kinesiology, etc. for the past 4 years (longer, but not intensively so I don't count it). I am also the primary trainer at my university's gym. I have an extensive background in nutrition and fitness, primarily bodybuilding and powerlifting. How many people have I healed? What do you mean by "healed?"

"The skin is the largest organ in your body. Part of it's function is excertion."

Well, this does make sense to me. However, I can't agree with you because even if you had someone whose body was "full of toxins" in a cold room, he wouldn't sweat (with a few exceptions, see below).

"While bacteria can can form from sweat, where do you think that bacteria comes from? "

Microscopic bateria in the air. Pure sweat is just salt water. Bacteria on the skin, and in the air, mix with the sweat and produce that smell.

"While sweat does act as a cooling agent for the body, Sweat results from the body systems working at level that causes stimulation of the internal and external systems."

The body sweats to cool itself down. Various things can cause an increase in body temperature, however. (Case from above): if the man was fat, he might be at a hotter body temperature and thsu sweating, or, if he had just consumed a LARGE meal, he might be sweating. The later is common among high level bodybuilders, who take in upwards of 7000 calories a day. The digestion and continious metabolism of such an immense amount of food causes the body to heat up. Simply put, (elite) bodybuilders who are currently bulking sweat a lot. Note however, that this most likely doesn't apply to any recreational BB'ers you see at your local gym.

"When you have a fever, what happens? you sweat. Two reasons, one the body uses the skin to expell the sickness from your body and secondly to cool you down."

Fever = increased body temperature. Therefore, the body sweats to cool itself down.

"There is tons of medical study done on the subject."

I would be interested to see some legit research on sweating to "release toxins." All of the info I have seen that says you sweat to release toxins is somehow related to the sale of saunas, so of course they would have you believe that.

"Part of the reason people who work out are generally healther is due to the detox you get when you sweat."

Um, part of the reason people who work out are generally healthier is because working out stimulates muscles, increases blood flow, promotes abdominal breathing (same reason people who practice qigong are healthier), etc. I don't think sweating has much to do with it, aside from the fact that working out makes you hot, thus, sweat. Actually, research has proven that the amount you sweat is not related to the effeciency of your workout (that's why they say don't workout in extra sweatshirts just to sweat more, because it doesn't make any difference.)

"Sweating is great, however if are in empty room naked and your sweat stinks, you are releasing toxins and might want to look at your at improving your diet."

And why might it stink? Because in an empty room there is still a) bacteria on your body and b) bacteria in the air (both my reasons for the stink, as explained above).

Brian, if you can provide legit sources to back up what you say, please do so. I'm not saying I'm 100% right, I'm just relaying what I have researched, been told, experienced, etc.

Iron

JWTAYLOR Guest
    I can't find any hard facts on the subject, but if every Drivers Ed course I've ever taken (and to get out of tickets I've taken allot), they say that most of the alchohol in your body is processed and released through sweat more than anything else.

And from personal experience, when I drink, no matter what the temperature is or my level of activity, I reek of whatever alchohol I've drank. My wife knows what I've drank by the smell of my skin.
    Sorry for the only slightly disgusting explanation, but I'm Irish.
    JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

Brian_CA Guest

re: sounds like we are on the same track put come from different areas.

Dear Iron Fist,

Thanks for responding. Perhaps, my original post was slightly misleading. Let me preface by giving my qualications on the subject. I am Martial artist of 10 year primarily. In addition I am a certifed Yoga instructor and a trained Body Rolling instructor. Over the last 10 years I have researched the body and its Physiology. I work on a continuing basis with clientele who have a number of Physical ailments, restrictions and issues.

I have extensively studied kinesiolgy, applied kinesiology, anatomy, physiology, nutrition, Hung gar, Hatha Yoga and other forms of bodywork.

I am not disagreeing with what you say about sweating, I am simply trying to add to knowledge which has already been mentioned. Let me first explain, what is ment by "toxins".

Anything the body cannot use to regenerate itself, poisons, bacteria, fecal matter, urine can be considered to be toxins. The release of these toxins are through the Integumentary, Lymphatic, Urinary and the Digestive systems.

As sweating is simply one way of the body releasing those toxins. Of course, if the conditions for the body are not met for the body to sweat then toxins will not be released. However, those toxins will find a way out of your body. Or they will begin to damage your body.

Yes, you are correct in your statement that how much you sweat does not increase perfomance. It's what in the sweat that counts. It is also be proven that over sweating causes dehydration and is hard on the kidneys. In my orginal post I do mention that sweating should decrease.

You are right pure sweat is mainly salt water, however according to the "Essentials of Antatomy and Phyisiology" by Martini & Bartholomew sweat contains a mixture of electrolytes, metabolites, and waste products such as urea.

The electolytes give the sweat a salty flavor and the waste products give off an odor. It is these waste products that contain bacteria and attract bacteria in the air. After these to meet to fester, you get the ordor you describe. However, if you have ever trained a cancer patient or a alcoholic you should notice an bad smell when they sweat during their workout. These are the Toxins I am talking about.

Bikram Choudury was commisioned by a group of
    Japanese scientiests to prove that the yoga he taught worked every system in the body. Part of the research was one the skin. They found that when sweating occurs, the skin begins to help detoxification of the internal systems. It aided in taking the pressure of the other excreamentory systems there by making the body work effectively.

In additon, look in Gray Anatomy. While Phyisiology is not discussed in huge detail, it is still a good book to check out.

Also check, the New England Journal of Medicine. I will look around for the article that I read from them on the subject.

Over the next couple of days I will try and provide you more documentation on the subject if you wish. It will take awhile, I need to go through books and as you well now, medical books are long!

Hope I have answered you question regarding my post.

Brian
    San Francisco, CA

UberShaman Guest
    you dont sweat bacteria these are present all over your body and just do better in moist areas, armpits etc. The reason cancer patients smell like that are metabolites of the medicines they use. A cancer victim who is not on medication does not have that smell no matter how much they sweat. It works the same way when you have alcohol in your system. I dont have the facts of your study but when a study is commisioned to prove something it usually does, does this mean it was accurate of course not. Remember that until just a few years ago the JAMA was standing behind a study that proved that anabolic steroids do not help you to build muscle. We all know that was a crock. Also a fever is supposed to heat your body to the point that it becomes too hot for many viri, bacteria etc. when these are killed they are not excreted through sweat but drained through your lymphatic system.

Fish of Fury Guest
    serious question...
    where are these metabolites coming out then?

you may be technically correct in stating that "toxins" (as good a word as any for metabolic end products the body needs to excrete IMO) aren't excreted in sweat specifically, but such metabolites can be excreted through the skin

eg.
    alliin (amino acid derivitave in garlic) is converted to allicin by allinase. allicin is the compound responsible for the "garlic smell" people can get after eating it, and it is excreted via the skin.even the feet can smell of garlic after eating it.
    i merely mention this to demonstrate that compounds other than water can be released via the skin

__________________________________________________ _________________________ "I never drive faster than i can see...other than that...it's all in the reflexes" Jack Burton

Repulsive Monkey Guest

H2O,H2O everywhere...

Too much (depending on ones constitution) can have a damaginbg effect on the Spleen and Stomach. Too much cold fluids through out the day can effect one's excretion and produce irregularities, so one has to regulate the temperature and amount of dampness one is allowing into the body.Dampness in the Chinese way of thinking will lead to lethargy and slowness, possibly lassitude too. Too much sweating is not very healthy. If one is making the body push unnatural amounts of fluids through and out of the body then one can set it ut of balance. Fluids and dryness are Yin and Tang. All Yin and Yang must be in balance for good progressive health.

orion Guest

water

This is about a post that was put up in June about water intake. You can never take in to much water. Everything in your body is made of water and needs water, even your digestive system. During hot weather training you should drink water before your workout until you can not possible take in anymore. Then drink water during your workout to replace what you lose through sweating. After your workout you should drink more water or a good sports drink to replinish nutrients lost while sweating. You should urinate frequently throughout the day and it should be clear to a lemonade color. Water is also the best medicine for losing weight, it can keep you feeling full and it helps rid your body of wastes.

Stranger Guest
    Too much of anything is no good.

Too much water is disruptive to your digestive system and impedes the processing of nutrients.

You should drink lots of water, but if you take it too far....you'll experience negative side effects.

I don't get mad.
    I get stabby.

Johnny Hot Shot Guest

H2O

As most long term Martial Artist I am very familiar with the signals my body is giving me. I drink at least 6 litres a day but I sweat like a maniac. I feel great, some days I drink more water than others. it all depends on the day and the activites.

If it feels good do it, when it starts to hurt stop.

"Life's a great adventure, mate."
    Jacko Jackson