Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Water

RENEGADE_MONK Guest
    Actually You should consume up to four quarts of water daily. Drink water before you feel thirsty

Do not drink large quantities of water during your workout doing so could cause cramping, and nausea, instead drink no more than 2cups at 15-20 min intervals. what I do is I drink water thruout my day starting with my breakfast I drink 24oz

2hrs before I train I'll drink another 12-24oz
    and 15-20 before class I'll dring another 12oz or so to give me enough time to p i s s out the excess

[This message was edited by RENEGADE_MONK on 07-21-01 at 11:41 AM.]

Repulsive Monkey Guest

HHmmmm

This regimented view that we all need X amount of water is quite a dangerous line to take, and from a health point of view a potentially hazardous one too. There is a hypothetical view of an average body needing a minimum level of fluids to fulfill its basic functions, but it is simply ignorant to declare that everyone needs a specific amount of water. It is very true in Chinese Medicine that too many fluids in the body consistently can contribute to various disharmonies of health. One should be sensible about fluid intake and not be rigid in thinking "... oh no I still need to down another 3 pints today or I will be unhealthy..." kind of attitude, becasue the truth is simplt that this isn't necessarily true. Be sensible folk!!

Lost_Disciple Guest
    I dunno, maybe I have some kind of oral fixation or something, but I almost constantly need to have a drink of water going. I rarely go more than 2 or 3 hours with a drink of some kind. It's easier than drinking my water all at once and it's kind of a habit now.
    Hope that don't mean my digestive system's shot; cuz I drink like between a half a gallon and a gallon everyday.

Ah well.

IronFist Guest
    Dude there's nothing wrong with drinking a gallon a day. The "doctor recommended" amount is 8 glasses a day, which is a half gallon. If your body is craving more than a gallon, you might start worrying, but a gallon is fine. I drank a gallon every day last year in college. It's good for you. Just maybe think about increasing your vitamin intake because I heard too much water may flush vitamins out of your system, but I've never seen any research to prove such a fact.

Iron

Lost_Disciple Guest
    Oki, 2 centrum a day then. You know if Centrum is actually a decent multivitamin? I hate the GNC brands, and most of the others make me pee a bright green.

IronFist Guest
    Honestly I use a generic Walmart one. I assume Centrum is one of those 100-150% of everything, right?

Just make sure that since you're a guy, you're not taking a multivitamin with iron. Too much iron in guys causes constipation :( Also, stiff joints over time. Girls need iron, however, cuz they lose blood once a month :)

If you take it twice a day, make sure it's after a meal. Certain vitamins (everything except C and the B vitamins) won't be processed without fat to help them, so if you take it with no fat you'll be wasting the vitamin. C and B's are water soluble, so just a glass of water works for them.

So, eat a big meal, take a vitamin, you're all set. Take them like 12 hours apart for maximal usage. That's what I do.

Iron

Drink plenty of water before training!

... I know this; I really do. But for what ever reason, I just didn't today. The results were really bad, too. This was the first regular class I've been able to make in over 2 weeks, but I had been training, so I wasn't expecting to gas too badly. I figured out pretty early on that I really didn't drink enough by about 200 meters into the run, though. You know that pasty coating you get in your mouth 2/3s of the way through a guelling run? I had it before I got to the top of Brittny Hill. I was actually looking forward to the calistenics part of class! So, of course, we didn't do calistenics... We wheel barrow walked up a fight of steps 2 times then spider crawled down then 2 times. Well, the rest of the class did. I never made all 3 landings either time on the way up, and the way down looked more like a sack of taters sliding down the hill. My shins are killing me...

The moral of this tale?

Drink Your **** Water!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Becca

I got Two Words for you, "GU Packets". I swear by the gods of whatever universe that GU packets are the SH!T.

I also drink a recovery and fatigue fighting drink during my runs called "Cytomax". the stuff is great as well.

Dont drink too much water before training, like running and such, you will get nasty cramps that will stop you in your tracks. and it shouldnt be cold water, needs to be tepid or you will get a serious headache, of course im sure it doesnt get so blaring hot in colorado. It sure does here in Austin TX.

down a GU packet and drink about 16 oz of water 15 minutes before you start running/training etc. then hydrate in small amounts as you go(with the cytomax or just plain ole water) then drink another 16 oz of whatever will replenish electrolytes potassium sodium is lost.
    its what i do and it has made ALL the difference.

The reason i am writing this is because there was an article in the recent past that i read where people such as atheletes/ tri-atheletes and such were hydrating themselves TOO Much and suffering heart attacks. You certainly do not want to water log yourself.

Peace,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

You are right WS. Too much water is every bit as bad as too little. I strive for 3-4 liters per day, spread out over the whole day. Yesterday, I only got about 1. Really not enough. And you are also right that Colorado don't get as hot as parts of Texas. But we do average mid 90s this time of year with a few 100+ days mixed in. Heat was not an issue yesterday, though. I just didn't keep myself hydrated.

And what the heck are GU packs?

On another topic, have you seen those Jelly Belly electrolite jelly beens? They are realy not too bad. And I hate Gatorade, so they come in handy.

And on another side note. Forget how my shins felt... I actually think I broke my pinky toe. It was fine when I got ready for kung fu, but when I stripped down for my shower after, there was blood all over one sock, and the toe nail was split in half the long way.

Days like this really make me wish I had a nice comfy desk job...
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

wait can you point me to any info on overhydration?

there are days i drink more than a gallon of water and i want to make sure im not overdoing it.
    where's my beer?

gda

I think a gallon should be the minimum. If you are sitting on your ass all day playign with your computer though, I don't think you need more than a few glasses
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity
    wait can you point me to any info on overhydration?

there are days i drink more than a gallon of water and i want to make sure im not overdoing it.
    You'll know it if you ever do it. You literally get sick, you have to fight the urge to throw up when you drink. I've also noticed a tendancy to be a bit sluggish when I over hydrate. A good rule of thumb on drinking water is to sip all day long. If you actually feel thirsty, you are already dehydrated. Sounds kind of gross, but watching the color of your urin will also tell you alot. If it smells like urin or is any darker then very pale yellow, you need more water. Urin actually doesn't have much of a smell if you keep hydrated. If you feel good, are peeing regularly and the urin isn't smelly or dark, you're good. Forcing yourself to drink even more water than you need to meet those criteria is what gets you into trouble.

Willow's tip on warm water is a good one, too. Your body needs to warm up the water to use it without bad side effects, so drinking it tempid, or room temprature, saves it the hassle and allows your body to use it faster. But slowly sipping cool, not cold, water can help you cool down so long as you are not dehydrated. If you are dehydrated slowly sip warm water. Drinking too much can cause your body to go into shock. And shock kills.

Becca

Here is the Info on Gu Energy Gel.

http://www.gusports.com/html/gu_energy_gel.htm

On another topic, have you seen those Jelly Belly electrolite jelly beens? They are realy not too bad. And I hate Gatorade, so they come in handy

Yeah i have tried them. They are okay. I dont drink gatorade at all. I used to and really wasnt getting the recovery and electrolyte balance that i needed.

LIke i stated in the earlier post "Cytomax" OR "Gookanaid"(weird name eh?) are great and natural electrolyte replenishers.

You can get the GU gel and the other stuff at places like REI camping outlets or GNC nutrition.

Sorry about your piggy that went wee wee all the way home getting busted, Ouchie

Peace and Be Well,,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Some people drink too much water on purpose to get high. I saw something on TV about it years ago... I think it was around like 4 gallons a day. I'm not sure how these people didn't live on the toilet.

Oh yeah, and urine is spelled with an "e" at the end

But your urine won't be clear if you take a multivitamin with lots of vitamin B in it. It will be bright yellow/green
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist
    But your urine won't be clear if you take a multivitamin with lots of vitamin B in it. It will be bright yellow/green
    True. But it still won't ne dark...