Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Water

I agree you should drink water before and during you're workouts. But also you need to replenish your electrolytes potassium sodium.

Water during training

How do you guys feel about taking water during hard training sessions?

Back in the day It was a point of pride for me to not drink any water until I was done training, or not more than once an hour if we doing real hard 2 or 3 hour sessions. I would never let myself dehydrate to the point where I didn't sweat, of course, but I wouldn't take it until I needed it.

Nowadays I like to drink small amounts of water more frequently. I worry that if you don't take water, you burn out faster than you could have otherwise. I feel like I may be able to train better/longer if I take a little water every 15 minutes or so during intense workouts.

Do you feel that depriving yourself of water, (within reason) helps your endurance? Or will it just lead to sloppier form and burning out quicker? Does taking it more often hurt your endurance abilities?

I've always just gotten drinks of water when the opportunity presented itself.

Sometimes that would be more rare than others.

I don't really know much about the physiology behind it. Perhaps some of the more educated could tell us.

Does working out at a water deprived state make your body more efficient at using water? I don't mean dangerously low, obviously.

Would said person perform better than someone who maintains a high water consumption and then becomes dehydrated?
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Blog Entries
    I only drink "hot water" during and after workout. If you let your body temperature to

- increase 1 degree, your immune system will increase 6 times.
    - drop 1 degree, your immune system will decrease 30%.

If you keep your body temperature high, cancer cells will never grow inside your body. This is why we have not heard about "heart cancer" because the temperature is too high there.

https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/heart-cancer/AN01288
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 12-27-2012 at 10:29 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    I've always just gotten drinks of water when the opportunity presented itself.

Sometimes that would be more rare than others.

I don't really know much about the physiology behind it. Perhaps some of the more educated could tell us.

Does working out at a water deprived state make your body more efficient at using water? I don't mean dangerously low, obviously.

Would said person perform better than someone who maintains a high water consumption and then becomes dehydrated?
    Yeah I was hoping one of those smart sport/science guys could drop some knowledge about that...not against hearing the traditions and opinions as well though....

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    I only drink "hot water" during and after workout. If you let your body temperature to

- increase 1 degree, your immune system will increase 6 times.
    - drop 1 degree, your immune system will decrease 30%.

If you keep your body temperature high, cancer cells will never grow inside your body. This is why we have not heard about "heart cancer" because the temperature is too high there.

https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/heart-cancer/AN01288
    I trained with just hot water before in China...I got the reasons but it was tough to get used to. I didn't even want the water..I felt so unrefreshed. I'm sure you get used to it though if you stick with it....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I trained with just hot water before in China...I got the reasons but it was tough to get used to. I didn't even want the water..I felt so unrefreshed. I'm sure you get used to it though if you stick with it....
    It's easier for people in China to get used to the hot water. Unless you drink bottle water, you just can't drink cold water.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    It's easier for people in China to get used to the hot water. Unless you drink bottle water, you just can't drink cold water.
    Lol..you got that right. When I was a kid I used to work with some Ukrainian Immigrants, you'd give them a cold soda and they would put it in their pocket until it warmed up...took them a while to start liking cold drinks.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    imo, it depends upon your average hydration.

if you normally stay well hydrated then you could do an hour workout w/o hydrating.

if you aren't normally well hydrated (check your ****, average 'well hydrated' should typically yield a very light yellow color, anything darker and you are not hydrated well) then I would take in 4 oz. every 15 minutes.

if you plan to do any workout longer than 90-120 minutes then you should start taking water 15-20 minutes in to the workout and continue to take water every 15 minutes throughout the workout. 4oz or so at a time. [edit] NO MATTER WHAT YOUR AVERAGE HYDRATION LEVEL IS [/edit]

imo, most people are underhydrated at any given point in time.

i do agree with the 'no cold water' but I don't drink 'hot' water. room temp.

fwiw, I live and work in Hawaii now. On a day that I know I'm working outside all day doing moderate to strenuous activity I drink a pint before eating breakfast, a pint before leaving the cottage and a pint every hour. On those days, I usually weigh 4-6 pounds less at the end of the day than at the beginning even after taking in 3-4 quarts. At the end of the day, I drink a pint of water before my shower and a pint before dinner. I will still usually weigh .5 to 1.0 less the next morning.

Drinking more water is rarely contraindicated.
    Last edited by Oso; 12-28-2012 at 12:01 AM.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post

imo, most people are underhydrated at any given point in time.

i do agree with the 'no cold water' but I don't drink 'hot' water. room temp.

fwiw, I live and work in Hawaii now. On a day that I know I'm working outside all day doing moderate to strenuous activity I drink a pint before eating breakfast, a pint before leaving the cottage and a pint every hour. On those days, I usually weigh 4-6 pounds less at the end of the day than at the beginning even after taking in 3-4 quarts. At the end of the day, I drink a pint of water before my shower and a pint before dinner. I will still usually weigh .5 to 1.0 less the next morning.

Drinking more water is rarely contraindicated.
    I'm probably a bit under hydrated most of the time. Maybe that's why I feel like I'll have diminishing returns if I don't take a little water while training.

When I work outside on a hot summer day I can lose 5 pounds over the day...but when I train hard for about 3 hours I probably won't lose more than a pound if I'm drinking while training...(of course I drink a lot after I finish, that may be why)...don't know if that's good or bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I'm probably a bit under hydrated most of the time. Maybe that's why I feel like I'll have diminishing returns if I don't take a little water while training.

When I work outside on a hot summer day I can lose 5 pounds over the day...but when I train hard for about 3 hours I probably won't lose more than a pound if I'm drinking while training...(of course I drink a lot after I finish, that may be why)...don't know if that's good or bad...
    drink water. whether you feel you want/need it or not. especially if working long hours in hot conditions or any workout over 30 minutes. it's really not that hard a question.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

I prefer Powerade. But only drink it during your workouts, not during the day, because it's just sugar water that costs more than regular water.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

then there is this

Years ago, when I had the time and worked days, my workouts were 5-1/2 hrs. 3-4 days per week. I had to take nourishment and fluids during these long workouts our they would have been impossible to complete. Especially since I performed my workouts after an 8 hour work day.

After much experimentation with different juices and sports drinks I found that the best combination was 1/2 water and 1/2 Hawaiian Punch. I know it sounds weird, and being about half a health nut, I wasn't too pleased with having to drink red dye #12 during my workouts. But it worked better than orange juice, grape juice, apple juice, Gatorade, etc.

osmolarity